PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Canada goes woke

Chinga
03-24-2022, 03:06 PM
A two page handout to employees has some angered. Home Depot can eat a bag of dicks.

Tweets show pictures of a packet called “Leading Practices: Unpacking Privilege,” which were reportedly taken by a Home Depot employee. The handout highlights social advantages such as white privilege, class privilege, Christian privilege and cisgender privilege that can benefit some people at the detriment of others. For example, it notes that, “If you’re confident that the police exist to protect you, you have white privilege.” Or, “If you can expect time off from work to celebrate your religious holidays, you have Christian privilege.” It also lists being able-bodied, heterosexual and male as additional types of privilege.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-the-truth-behind-that-home-depot-privilege-training-guide-going-viral-11648054243

Laffs
03-24-2022, 03:12 PM
Some followers took offense to the material, or were angered at the idea that Home Depot HD, -0.46% was “shaming” its employees for their privilege. And many threatened to boycott the store, or to shop at competitors like Lowe’s LOW, -0.85%, leading “Home Depot” to trend on Twitter TWTR, 2.08% on Wednesday with more than 17,000 tweets and counting.

Thus proving that Tweets and Social Media don't affect profits in the real world except for the people hosting the platform?

StAnger
03-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Well I guess I'll do my shopping at Lowe's or Rona.

ChickenLips
03-24-2022, 04:37 PM
I'd imagine an equivalent amount of fucks given to;

Slave labor making iPhones
child labor in sweat shops making Jordans
Child labor mining cobalt for electric car batteries.

Until it affects price of the goods, meh. Especially in these inflationary times.

Unless the Depot starts getting high turnover as a result of wokeism that affects costs/profits I'd be surprised if it moves the needle.

Maybe all the people who vowed to leave the country when XX got elected will change their buying habits.

I expect a soul crushing wave of orange social media posts to replace the current yellow-blue

ChickenLips
03-24-2022, 04:38 PM
Well I guess I'll do my shopping at Lowe's or Rona.

I've stopped buying Gillette, that'll teach em.

92redragtop
03-24-2022, 05:18 PM
Thus proving that Tweets and Social Media don't affect profits in the real world except for the people hosting the platform?

Maybe time to buy the stock for the bounce?

Zutz2v
03-24-2022, 07:56 PM
I prefer Home Depot over anyone else. Just a preference, but I’m also no stranger to telling anyone where to go if they annoy me. Just seems more like stupidity toward employees. It sucks, but what do you expect for 16/hr$ ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StAnger
03-24-2022, 08:30 PM
I've stopped buying Gillette, that'll teach em.

So did I.

5.4MarkVIII
03-24-2022, 08:45 PM
Made the shift years ago to stop supporting large corporations when I can avoid it.

Have not brought anything Gillette since their toxic masculinity commercial. All my shave needs come from a local shop. Cheaper and way better quality.

Always try and get my building needs from the local home hardware. Better service better pricing.

I don’t kid myself that it’s gonna ever make a mark one these large companies books but every dollar I spend that can. Stays as locals as I can make it. Just might make the difference for a small shop owner.

StAnger
03-24-2022, 09:04 PM
Made the shift years ago to stop supporting large corporations when I can avoid it.

Have not brought anything Gillette since their toxic masculinity commercial. All my shave needs come from a local shop. Cheaper and way better quality.

Always try and get my building needs from the local home hardware. Better service better pricing.

I don’t kid myself that it’s gonna ever make a mark one these large companies books but every dollar I spend that can. Stays as locals as I can make it. Just might make the difference for a small shop owner.

I'm under no illusion that it'll make a difference... Unless all white people stopped shopping there, but that'll never happen. I just know that at least my money isn't going to the business and their bullshit.

92redragtop
03-24-2022, 09:41 PM
The company is doing just fine even with new competitors and more beard wearers over the past 10 years, and there's the pandemic. I don't buy their stuff because it's mostly a crappy product although I think some of my razor blades may be made by blade brands owned by Gillette in other parts of the world.

Any real conviction in not supporting a "woke" company means your households have to stop buying the brands on the map.

5.4MarkVIII
03-24-2022, 09:56 PM
Yep your right massive corporations control the majority of what people buy. Any price competition between brands is a joke.

There is absolute no way to 100% avoid it. But people Can choose what they want to buy.

92redragtop
03-24-2022, 10:02 PM
Well, consumers can avoid a particular woke company (P&G) if they really want to - just avoid all on the brand maps. Depends on whether they're just virtue signaling or serious.

5.4MarkVIII
03-25-2022, 07:24 AM
the irony of YOU commenting on people virtue signaling.

92redragtop
03-25-2022, 09:05 AM
the irony of YOU commenting on people virtue signaling.

Virtue signaling goes both ways - just like cancel culture (which is what the Harry's and Home Depot "boycotts" are).

ChickenLips
03-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Virtue signaling goes both ways - just like cancel culture (which is what the Harry's and Home Depot "boycotts" are).

solid point

5.4MarkVIII
03-25-2022, 02:33 PM

Yep, can’t beat them join them.

But not everyone constantly posts vailed insults. And condemns everyone’s points for lack of proof while constantly refusing to provide any proof of their own. So. I think it’s a little bit different.

5.4MarkVIII
03-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Aaaaaannnnnndddddddd. black flag!

ChickenLips
03-25-2022, 02:37 PM
Aaaaaannnnnndddddddd. black flag!

everyone drink

Stephen06GT
03-25-2022, 06:18 PM
Don’t like their policies, don’t shop their.