PDA

View Full Version : LM Ceratec who uses it?

WidowrRacing
03-30-2022, 11:39 AM
Since I've been debating on using Liquid Moly Ceratec on my C63 AMG I'm curious how many members on here use it or have tried it and their thoughts.

Lots of Pros and Cons on YouTube regarding this oil addictive...mostly being Pro I must say,

Also noticed on YouTube lots of Mustang Coyote owners using it for the common BBQ/lifter "tick" also with good results.

I'm all in for reduced friction and lower engine temps if that's what this product actually does.

Anyways thought I would add a poll and get some feedback on this before I purchase it.

ZR
03-30-2022, 08:32 PM
Interested to hear reviews as well.

LX89
03-30-2022, 09:23 PM
I used Liqui Moly MOS2 last year.First time.
Didn't keep track of gas mileage.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/mos2-anti-friction-engine-treatment.html?___store=limo_b2b_us_us&___from_store=limo_b2b_us_us

Have used Molyslip E in the past and that increased gas mileage.
Last can of Molyslip E I bought several years ago looked like a dud in that you could actually see the gold color of the carrier motor oil so I don't think there was much moly in the can.
Never bought it again.

FABMAN
03-31-2022, 08:12 AM
I believe that the shop that works on my x5 adds this every 2nd oil change. I always thought it was to provide additional protection for the turbo.

I also add sea foam to the gas tank every spring as well

WidowrRacing
03-31-2022, 08:32 AM
I can remember when the Slick 50 oil additive came out as a kid and my dad selling it at his garage in those silver tin cans….man that was along time ago.

I used a similar product called QMI in my GT in the early 90s and it brought down engine temps and possibly saved my motor when I broke the oil pump shaft. I was surprised when my motor was eventually torn apart and there was no damage to the internals….my dad was definitely a believer after that incident.

Several of my friends and my dads customers used Duralube in the late 90s also with good results.
I think it was all the advertising at that point that helped sell the product.

Point being this LM Ceratec isn’t brand new technology…I think it’s just an oil additive that has evolved over the years and LM is a reputable name that will be able to sell the product thanks to marketing/advertising.
After all Liquid Moly is an official sponsor of F1.

N89
03-31-2022, 02:33 PM
Sorry, I don't have any feedback on oil additives because i have never used them, this but i was wondering how you like the C63?
My wife drives a C43 and we both love that car, the C63 must be a monster.

LX89
03-31-2022, 10:18 PM
Forgot to mention that Dasilva Racing has dyno tested Molyslip E on three cars in the past.
You can find the results in the link in the automotive testimonial section in the link.
It's not a direct link,just copy and paste the whole link in google and it comes up at the top.
(don't click the molyslip part of the link or it wont work)

IndusGuide_Pg1 (revMar10).ai - Molyslip
http://www.molyslip.com › cpg-web

WidowrRacing
04-01-2022, 01:51 AM
Sorry, I don't have any feedback on oil additives because i have never used them, this but i was wondering how you like the C63?
My wife drives a C43 and we both love that car, the C63 must be a monster.

Check out my thread for the C63 details
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?19375-Different-brand-in-the-garage-part-II

N89
04-01-2022, 09:49 AM
^^^
Just read the thread, nice car.
When you said C63 i thought you ere referring to the W205.
The W204 is very nice, specially a rare one like yours.

Enjoy that beast.

WidowrRacing
04-01-2022, 10:45 AM
^^^
Just read the thread, nice car.
When you said C63 i thought you ere referring to the W205.
The W204 is very nice, specially a rare one like yours.

Enjoy that beast.

Thank you…..I was very particular in wanting the NA 6.2 vs the 5.5L bi-turbo. Just my personal preference.

N89
04-01-2022, 11:18 AM
Thank you…..I was very particular in wanting the NA 6.2 vs the 5.5L bi-turbo. Just my personal preference.

That's awesome.

WidowrRacing
04-03-2022, 08:15 AM
Really surprised no users of this product on here yet….especially Coyote owners.
I ordered mine from Amazon…2 pack 300ml X 2 for $77 tax in/delivered.
Suggested ratio is 300ml to 5L of oil.

I’d like to drive the car as is with the oil currently in it and monitor the oil temp so I can compare it after it’s treated.
I know the car has a factory oil temp gauge but I have no idea what it runs at now. I drove the car twice in Dec.

LX89
04-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Looks like it's on sale at NAPA this month.
Didn't know it was that expensive.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/LMYLM20002?impressionRank=2

ChickenLips
04-03-2022, 09:20 PM
I spent a week on a tribology course at a refinery in Sarnia.

They went into great depth about automotive lubricants after covering off a lot of other stuff.

The refineries spend a lot of time researching and formulating lubricants. If they think something is beneficial they research it and if valid come up with the proper amounts so as to offer maximum benefit without compromising other competing characteristics within the formulation.

The formulation (recipe) is closely scrutinized and the total additive package is what differentiates lubricant qualities.

An external additive, or topcoat, throws off the balance of the entire formulation. If a refiner saw an advantage, they would include it in the formulation to gain competitive advantage.

I went into the course thinking I knew better with additives I was using. The first thing I did when returning home was to change my oil, and change the oil I selected.

Discussion on oil additives is the automotive equivalent of google virologists discussing ivermectin with about the same credibility on both sides.

WidowrRacing
04-03-2022, 11:24 PM
^^^^^Interesting…..so you would not use Ceratec I’m assuming?
What oil/grade do you use now and in what kind of vehicle?

ZR
04-04-2022, 08:24 AM
Also keep in mind, while they are balancing what works best cost rears it's ugly head.

ChickenLips
04-04-2022, 08:58 AM
Also keep in mind, while they are balancing what works best cost rears it's ugly head.

true, this is expressed in oil prices. The base stock is typically the same or very similar to pretty much the entire product line of any given refiner, it's the additive package that adds cost.

Any company shilling oil that doesn't do their own refining will have variability in it's base stock. I would lean towards a company that refines it's own base stock. The varnishes that build up in an engine will be particular to the base stock, changing brands or if the particular brand switches to another oil source will affect the varnishes etc.

For my beater I use whatever is on sale, even the bottom tier stuff at China Tire is decent.

Keep in mind the majority of engine wear occurs on cold start. A pan heater will make a bigger difference than expensive oils IMO.

Also keep in mind oil pressure is a crude measure. Oil flow is what you're trying to infer by reading oil pressure. Oil pressure is easy to measure, oil flow is not. You can have fantastic oil pressure with clogged oil passages and the pump building pressure against a clog. You can have low oil pressure but good flow that will make you nervous but has oil flowing freely to the moving bits.

For example, I have a 1UZ Toyota V8 who's factory oil pressure at idle is 4 psi. I select an oil for flow characteristics when cold and have a few jugs of 0-40 synthetic on the shelf for the day I finally fire up my Dart Windsor.

When I select an oil for an engine I care about I select synthetics. 20 years ago there were concerns about seal swell and other differences between dyno oil and synthetics. Those concerns have all been resolved years ago.

Oil filtration is another issue to consider. Essentially the smaller the filter the higher the oil velocity through the filter. The higher the velocity the greater the chances of bigger nuggets passing through the media. It's not just about avoiding Fram.

ZR
04-04-2022, 09:19 AM
The fact vendors can sell oil at 50% off on a regular basis and still (I assume) make a profit speaks volumes as to how hard we are getting corn holed. Spec our domestic oils are made to pales in comparison to Europe.

WidowrRacing
04-04-2022, 10:10 AM
So if the majority of engine wear occurs at cold start…..wouldn’t using a product like LM Ceratec make sense?
It bonds to metal and provides a thin layer of protection and reduces friction. At least that’s what it claims to do.
LM and several YouTubers put this to the test and like I said a strong majority like the product.

ZR
04-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Makes perfect sense to me. Original Slick 50 was good for the same reason.

ChickenLips
04-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Makes perfect sense to me. Original Slick 50 was good for the same reason.

this was one of my first Q's at the tribology seminar as I was using Slick50 at the time.

First thing I did when home was change my oil.

ChickenLips
04-04-2022, 10:48 AM
So if the majority of engine wear occurs at cold start…..wouldn’t using a product like LM Ceratec make sense?
It bonds to metal and provides a thin layer of protection and reduces friction. At least that’s what it claims to do.
LM and several YouTubers put this to the test and like I said a strong majority like the product.

as previously posted, adding a topcoat will change the formulation and compromise other characteristics.

As with this and any other issue it's up to you to parse out valid info.

What problem are you trying to resolve?

On my previous build I had an ignition kill switch to confound thieves. I also used it to turn the engine over without ignition to circulate oil prior to start up. A pan heater would resolve a lot of issues including cold start. This would also allow for different oil selection (cheaper oils), as well as helping to evaporate condensation in the oils.

My diesel oil selection was different than that of the mfg recommendation because of NOACK values.

I had a cord going to my van when parked to run the fridge and a few other things. More than once I started driving while plugged in.

I could also see a warm engine being attractive to animals. There's never a free lunch

ZR
04-04-2022, 02:11 PM
First Slick 50 test we did, straight six GM that had a knock at cold start, brutal knock after an oil change. Changed oil n filter adding Slick 50 then drove as they suggested, shut off and sat overnight. Cold start next am, not so much as the slightest knock at cold start. Ran it in my then fleet of Diesel GM and Ford tow trucks, difference in sound at cold start was significant.

WidowrRacing
04-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Amazon delivered as expected.

https://i.postimg.cc/6QpNcqzN/4-BDDDEA8-8-A14-44-B1-B339-35-DF496-CB037.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RWy8VMjP)