PDA

View Full Version : Tile Install Cost

Uncle Buck
04-01-2022, 12:43 PM
I just got a quote to tile my front foyer. Includes new tile, all materials install and removal of existing tile flooring.

100 sqft.

Tile is $5 a sqft.

Quote $2200 plus tax.

Does that seem reasonable?

Quicksilver
04-01-2022, 03:25 PM
$500 for tile.
$xx for grout and adhesive $100
$XX for disposal$150
$XX for labour(2 guys for 3 days: lead man 24 hrs@ $35/hr = $840. helper 24 hrs @ $20 = $480.0
$XX for travel (gas ain't cheap anymore)
$XX for overhead
$XX for profit

Yes, I think $2200 is extremely reasonable. I would charge at least 3 grand. But then, I do decks, not tile.

IanGTCS
04-01-2022, 09:29 PM
$500 for tile.
$xx for grout and adhesive $100
$XX for disposal$150
$XX for labour(2 guys for 3 days: lead man 24 hrs@ $35/hr = $840. helper 24 hrs @ $20 = $480.0
$XX for travel (gas ain't cheap anymore)
$XX for overhead
$XX for profit

Yes, I think $2200 is extremely reasonable. I would charge at least 3 grand. But then, I do decks, not tile.

I see you do estimating too. I'd have my labour rates higher to cover overhead, $70 foreman, $55 labourer and add in 100 for a vehicle. 2 days of my guys and a truck is already $2800 based on a 10 hour day. I'd agree it's a decent deal.

Zutz2v
04-01-2022, 11:43 PM
I just got a quote to tile my front foyer. Includes new tile, all materials install and removal of existing tile flooring.

100 sqft.

Tile is $5 a sqft.

Quote $2200 plus tax.

5ft is cheap! That’s a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Blue
04-02-2022, 07:02 AM

100 sqft.

Tile is $5 a sqft.

Quote $2200 plus tax.

It's a small job, price is very fair.

Uncle Buck
04-02-2022, 09:34 AM
Thanks folks. Normally I’m a DIY kind of guy so appreciate the input.

The installer did say 3 partial days to complete given its such a small job.

Even if it’s less than 20 hours, I can see the value. It’s a developed skill and should be well compensated.

Also, I suck at tile work, so there’s that to consider.

Quicksilver
04-02-2022, 03:56 PM
I see you do estimating too. I'd have my labour rates higher to cover overhead, $70 foreman, $55 labourer and add in 100 for a vehicle. 2 days of my guys and a truck is already $2800 based on a 10 hour day. I'd agree it's a decent deal.

It would appear that you include overhead and profit in your hourly rate. I do it the other way around. I take my total labour and material and then mark it up. Neither way is wrong

IanGTCS
04-02-2022, 08:43 PM
My company is small but we have an office manager that updates our hourly rates to include company wide overhead and profit. Then I add markup to subs and supplies when I do estimating. I can see your way for a company that doesn't have a full time accountant type who does full costings of every job to see down to the line item where we could improve and where we could go lower to make our bids more competitive.

Zutz2v
04-03-2022, 12:48 PM
It would appear that you include overhead and profit in your hourly rate. I do it the other way around. I take my total labour and material and then mark it up. Neither way is wrong

When I price jobs, I have a certain price I use for sqft rates depending on the job. Then I add material. Unfortunately material has gotten out of hand. And when it’s a small job it’s usually minimum charge or it’s not worth the headache.

IanGTCS
04-03-2022, 05:45 PM
When I price jobs, I have a certain price I use for sqft rates depending on the job. Then I add material. Unfortunately material has gotten out of hand. And when it’s a small job it’s usually minimum charge or it’s not worth the headache.

And then the potential customer says "it's just a small job, it should cost less". A few years ago we stopped doing anything for homeowners and only deal with developers and the like. We still get people arguing that we should quote their job because it is small and easy and they have a hard time taking not interested for an answer.

5.4MarkVIII
04-03-2022, 06:26 PM
Seems to be a common issue in this area there are no renovations guys that want to undertake smaller jobs.

Totally get the aspect of customers wanting things cheaper being a problem. (Deal with it every day) But if there are guys who can make it work there is no shortage of jobs out there for them.

Uncle Buck
04-04-2022, 07:52 AM
I agree there are areas that are underserved for good trades. I built an addition on my house a few years ago and it was nearly impossible to hire trades.

Smaller jobs and not likely a return customer created little interest for the trades I could reach. In the end I had little choice but to do the homework and become my own Jack of all trades. I draw the line at roofing (don’t care for heights) and tiling (I suck at it). Thankfully at the time I did find a drywall taper at a reasonable price.

Quicksilver
04-04-2022, 09:54 AM
I have a minimum job and I just cant afford to do smaller stuff. I tell people 2 things. Wanting a smaller job is like going to McDonalds and trying to buy one french fry. It's either a whole pack or none at all. Second, I tell them to hire a handnyman who will do any small job by the hour

Laffs
04-04-2022, 10:28 AM

Yup. For service work our guys are $80 foreman $70 laborer with a minimum 4 hour, $90/half day truck charge and then materials + markup.

Price seems super fair.

Also yes, industry we're in I'm basically not quoting smaller jobs because there's no margin to be had. Why tie up my guys for 2 days on something that will generate 20%/day less lost time on setup/teardown when I can send them on jobs that will generate 30%+ and last 3 weeks. Unfortunately thats the byproduct of years of people saying "I know a guy who can do it cheaper" or neglecting their properties.

Zutz2v
04-05-2022, 07:57 PM
And then the potential customer says "it's just a small job, it should cost less". A few years ago we stopped doing anything for homeowners and only deal with developers and the like. We still get people arguing that we should quote their job because it is small and easy and they have a hard time taking not interested for an answer.

What industry service do you provide ?

IanGTCS
04-06-2022, 02:13 PM
What industry service do you provide ?

Landscaping and excavation. Grading and sodding of new developments, stormwater ponds, building channels, large retaining walls, earthworks and the like. Want a nice backyard? Don't call us. Building 30 homes? We can do the basement dig and backfill, subgrade prep, topsoil spreading and grading, sodding, patios. Required to have a storm pond in your development? Heck yeah, we will build it and plant it. Need a channel to connect to other ponds and drainages? Those are fun. Park too? Sure, we've built quite a few. Oh, there was a building there? We can get rid of it.