PDA

View Full Version : Burr Grinders - what are you guys using?

92redragtop
04-14-2022, 03:19 PM
Looks like I'm in the market for a new burr grinder for our coffee beans as our 30 year old unit appears to be on the way out. Not bad for a Braun but this one was made in Germany and I don't think that's the case any more.

Laffs
04-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Have this https://www.amazon.ca/OXO-Conical-Coffee-Grinder-Silver/dp/B07CSKGLMM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=14M6S2FNDHOG1&keywords=OXO+Brew&qid=1649966098&s=kitchen&sprefix=oxo+brew+%2Ckitchen%2C128&sr=1-2

No complaints.

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2022, 04:43 PM
My wife bought ours. Cheapest price of crap she could find. Lol

IanGTCS
04-14-2022, 09:06 PM
My wife bought ours. Cheapest price of crap she could find. Lol

I probably have the same one. First few years I owned it I used it a lot, now it's only used a couple of times a year when someone gives me whole beans. For the $15 or whatever it costs it's lasted me at least 15 years so I can't complain.

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2022, 09:45 PM
I probably have the same one. First few years I owned it I used it a lot, now it's only used a couple of times a year when someone gives me whole beans. For the $15 or whatever it costs it's lasted me at least 15 years so I can't complain.

Lol we are on our third

92redragtop
04-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Thanks - the issue with the cheap ones is that the bean grind is typically not consistent. Are these cheap ones burr grinders or blade?

The OXO one shows up high on lists (top 3) so will put that in the consideration set. The Baratza Encore seems to be a good one for bean grind quality too but wife wants it in stainless/brushed silver but not sure it comes like that.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2022, 12:16 AM
I had an old Braun as well. It lasted a long time. I replaced it with another Braun 5+ years ago. No complaints. It’s black not stainless so might not be wife approved.

ChickenLips
04-15-2022, 06:03 AM
I found burr grinders to be the most effective way to get sharp steel slivers everywhere. After having a sliver removed from my eye in emergency I now wear a face shield AND safety glasses.

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2022, 08:06 AM
same idea different use

xeninworx
04-15-2022, 08:15 AM
I had an old Braun as well. It lasted a long time. I replaced it with another Braun 5+ years ago. No complaints. It’s black not stainless so might not be wife approved.

That’s racist lol

RedSN
04-15-2022, 08:46 AM
I found burr grinders to be the most effective way to get sharp steel slivers everywhere.
Maybe try a different kind of coffee bean? :shrug:

ChickenLips
04-15-2022, 09:26 AM
Maybe try a different kind of coffee bean? :shrug:

yeah I read this wrong. I was about to go check brand in my garage.

In other news I have a Breville on my counter. I recall checking consumers reports when I bought it and it was highly rated. I have almost cooked it a few times when grinding more than 4-5 servings in one go, albeit at super fine Turkish grind.

I'd be looking to kijiji or auctions for a used commercial grade grinder. Lots of failed businesses and those restaurant grinders are tanks.

ChickenLips
04-15-2022, 09:32 AM
My Breville is model BCG820BSSXL.

I use it 6-10 times a day and it's served me fine for the past 5 years.

I bought it at the Bay. I waited until they had appliances on sale on a "Bay Days" where it was significantly discounted. I then applied for a Bay credit card which gave an additional 10-15% off. They will let you stack discounts. I used the card once, promptly paid it off and never used it again.

I ploughed the savings into whisky and car parts, possibly something pretty for the gf if there was leftovers.

RedSN
04-15-2022, 09:45 AM
Don’t know about the grinder, but we have several Breville appliances, and none disappoint.

92redragtop
04-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Thanks - I see Breville advertised regularly but never used them. Didn't think of the commercial grinder option and I did see warnings with some of the home versions about not running them too long. We typically only do 1 grind per day but 2 every so often so either version would work.

ChickenLips
04-15-2022, 11:13 AM
Thanks - I see Breville advertised regularly but never used them. Didn't think of the commercial grinder option and I did see warnings with some of the home versions about not running them too long. We typically only do 1 grind per day but 2 every so often so either version would work.

the grind volume I do is a single cup, 15 seconds at fine. If you're doing a larger volume (longer grind) overheating could be an issue, depending on how fine the grind.

ChickenLips
04-21-2022, 03:16 PM
running some rice through your burr grinder is an easy way to clean it. My grinder occasionally starts to clog since I keep mine on such a fine grind. Ran some rice through it today, running champ.