PDA

View Full Version : Honda is on Crack

Harbinger
07-16-2022, 01:20 AM
Just a bit of a rant. My Civic has been excellent. I got a blast of a deal when I bought it back in late 2021. I've been looking at the new 2022 / 2023 Civics particularly the 2022/23 Si...even at MSRP the base model Civic is 32k OTD...I don't understand Honda. If you look at newer Toyota Corolla HYBRID models, they are priced at 34k OTD.
A 2022 Civic Si is about 40k OTD...Honda is going to put itself under. Corollas are still under 22k OTD for a base model...I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Base model civics used to be under 20k OTD. WTF is wrong with Honda ?

// End of Rant

xeninworx
07-16-2022, 06:28 AM
My 2006 Civic Si was 32K OTD and probably more fun to drive. All the extra $$$ they put in is for all the tech it comes with.

Have you considered the BRZ? I’d rather that than a new Civic Si or the upcoming Toyota Corolla GR, AWD 6 speed 300hp.

Uncle Buck
07-16-2022, 08:07 AM
I know most Honda ownership is a good experience for most but my 2006 was the worst new car I ever had.

By 2010 it burned a litre of oil per tank, ac was broken and for some reason the dealer couldn’t solve, would ruin rear tires every 20k. Eventually a case action law suite Honda lost had them pay out for the rear suspension issue.

I dumped the car cheap and fully disclosed all the issues with it to the new owner.

I’m not sure I’ll ever own another Honda.

5.4MarkVIII
07-16-2022, 08:10 AM
In-laws had a civic. Don’t remember the exact year but it was the newish 2 door. Seemed problematic.

In terms of cost. It’s not just Honda. We were quoted 74k for a 22 F150 screw XLT with the 302a and the hybrid option. Less options than our current 19 lariat. But more money.

hammerhead
07-16-2022, 08:29 AM
I know most Honda ownership is a good experience for most but my 2006 was the worst new car I ever had.

By 2010 it burned a litre of oil per tank, ac was broken and for some reason the dealer couldn’t solve, would ruin rear tires every 20k. Eventually a case action law suite Honda lost had them pay out for the rear suspension issue.

I dumped the car cheap and fully disclosed all the issues with it to the new owner.

I’m not sure I’ll ever own another Honda.

i had one for a beater —was good on gas but what i saved in fuel I spent on a ltr of oil a day lol

Scrape
07-16-2022, 08:34 AM
My cousin just bought a 22 Si. Drove really nice but hated the rev hang. The car felt ok IMO but is it worth $39 k? Meh. For a bit more money I would rather buy the Elantra N.
Just a bit of a rant. My Civic has been excellent. I got a blast of a deal when I bought it back in late 2021. I've been looking at the new 2022 / 2023 Civics particularly the 2022/23 Si...even at MSRP the base model Civic is 32k OTD...I don't understand Honda. If you look at newer Toyota Corolla HYBRID models, they are priced at 34k OTD.
A 2022 Civic Si is about 40k OTD...Honda is going to put itself under. Corollas are still under 22k OTD for a base model...I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Base model civics used to be under 20k OTD. WTF is wrong with Honda ?

// End of Rant

ZR
07-16-2022, 08:43 AM
Vehicles, all are the best when running as they should, absolute shiat box's when they break. Fact of the matter, they all have faults.

xeninworx
07-16-2022, 09:41 AM
The 2006 1.8 litre engines had problems with the block cracking. The AC not working, I had that problem. Turns out it was the clutch plate having too much gap. Took the shaft out and replaced the washers on the shaft with thinner washer shims. They’re thin, like 0.3mm thin. Almost paper thin. The rear tire wear, the control arms had too much negative camber. Honda updated them. My car was lowered so I had adjustable arms.

FABMAN
07-17-2022, 08:24 AM
We had a 15 and a 17 Acura RDX and with the exception of their infotainment systems they were both good vehicles. Currently have a new 22 Acura RDX A-Spec…so far so good but it’s too new to make a judgment.

As for cost, everything has gone up period. Comparing to what you paid several or even a couple of years ago is no longer relevant today. A well equipped Corolla also hits $35k+ so they are all in the same ballpark now. Unfortunately a “cheap” car is no longer cheap.

Zee
07-18-2022, 11:04 AM
I got the industry numbers last week and let me tell you, when it comes to imports - Honda really shit the bed with low sales and low quality. They're focusing on short term profitability because they're just not being able to secure chips for their vehicles... they've also launched new vehicles... come next year, their prices will drop dramatically. You also have to know that the dealers are putting up substantial mark ups since people arent able to get vehicles.

ChickenLips
07-18-2022, 11:28 AM
the market does what the market does. Don't like the prices, vote with your wallet.

ZR
07-19-2022, 08:35 AM
Also, once things start to level out, remember those that shoved it to you hard on pricing.

Zee
07-19-2022, 03:10 PM
Already has, the new trucks are taking a beating on prices

Zexhuffer
07-19-2022, 03:59 PM
Also, once things start to level out, remember those that shoved it to you hard on pricing.

We've been shopping for new sante fe for months.....at this point not sure I'll ever buy a hyundai again every damn dealership is ready to fuck you over right to your face cause they know they can now. I'll ride it out and we can live with one car thankfully when the van blows up.

ZR
07-19-2022, 06:01 PM
^ Many others are doing the same. As you know, have a ZL1 on order but been trying to buy an SS 1LE to drive until it comes, brutal experiences.

ChickenLips
07-19-2022, 06:11 PM
been to the grocery store lately?

ZR
07-19-2022, 06:31 PM
^ Price is only part of it, seeing attitudes like no one else out there selling cars.

ZR
07-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Check out this BS.

stop by Kelowna Chevrolet located at 2350 Hwy 97 N, Kelowna, BC V1X 4H8 to make this car yours today!

$899 documentation fee, plus a 0.75% commission fee will be charged on the purchase of all New and Pre-Owned vehicles from Kelowna Chevrolet. (0.75% commission fee is based on the top selling price available on bill of sale.)

While we try to ensure accuracy, we reserve the right to correct any errors in pricing or descriptions, and to cancel or refuse to accept a purchase based on an incorrect price or description listed online. Offers, rates, terms, and pricing are subject to change without notice. Vehicle may be for illustration purposes only, models, trims, and options may vary. See Dealer for Details.. *$899 documentation fee, plus a 0.75% commission fee will be charged on the purchase of all New and Pre-Owned vehicles from Kelowna Chevrolet. (0.75% commission fee is based on the top selling price available on bill of sale.)

Engine: Gas V8 6.2L/376

xeninworx
07-19-2022, 07:38 PM
Wtf?

ZR
07-19-2022, 07:46 PM
Yup you read it right. Want a .75% tip for selling you a car on top of the $899.oo documentation fee.

xeninworx
07-19-2022, 08:57 PM
I’d go to that dealership, find a salesman and tell them I want to buy a car that day, spend an hour or two haggling on different cars, then tell them I’m not interested anymore and walk away with the satisfaction knowing that I’ve wasted their time.

ChickenLips
07-19-2022, 09:27 PM
I’d go to that dealership, find a salesman and tell them I want to buy a car that day, spend an hour or two haggling on different cars, then tell them I’m not interested anymore and walk away with the satisfaction knowing that I’ve wasted their time.

how much is your time worth?

xeninworx
07-19-2022, 10:30 PM
how much is your time worth?

%0.75 with a $899 documentation fee.

trickflow-jay
07-20-2022, 06:34 AM
my 09 civic had 771,000km when i sold it for $1500
always had an issue with rear shocks thats about it

ChickenLips
07-20-2022, 08:40 AM
I just went looking for a part. I got responses ranging from $50-300. I'm going to look at the $50. I don't begrudge the $300 which I consider excessive.

When selling stuff I get the occasional "insulting" low ball offer. Again I don't begrudge these offers, I've done it myself. The free market decides.

No one owes you a good deal, neither do you owe anyone a good deal.

A $5 flashlight now could be worth $50 to someone during a power outage, flood, emergency. The seller of a $50 flashlight is making it available in a time of great demand and has no obligation to sell for the $5 they paid. By stocking it, bringing it to a crisis area and offering it they are being compensated for bringing items in great demand to an area in crisis, fulfilling market demand. During the crisis the flashlight is worth $50 to many, following the crisis the flashlight is worth $50 to few.

When I work, I negotiate for maximum wages. When I shop i look for minimum prices. I decide, simple free market principles. If the car market supports these prices they will continue. If they don't they'll disappear. You have no idea what other market pressures the seller is under, their total profit might be cut to the bone due to other factors. If they become unprofitable, no product will be offered. What's worse, expensive products you need, or no products when you need them.

Why get bent? Vote with your wallet. No one owes you a thing.

Zutz2v
07-21-2022, 10:46 PM
My 2006 Civic Si was 32K OTD and probably more fun to drive. All the extra $$$ they put in is for all the tech it comes with.

Have you considered the BRZ? I’d rather that than a new Civic Si or the upcoming Toyota Corolla GR, AWD 6 speed 300hp.

I expect great things out of the Corolla GR. After owning a Tacoma I’m a believer in Toyota and will most likely stick with the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChickenLips
07-22-2022, 08:51 AM
I expect great things out of the Corolla GR. After owning a Tacoma I’m a believer in Toyota and will most likely stick with the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 92 Lexus SC400 is loaded with good design, quality parts and assembly. In the top end of the market with Mercedes, Lexus and other Luxury brands, Toyota/Lexus appears to have better reliability design.

1BAD92LX
07-22-2022, 09:08 AM
They don’t make anything like they used to.
Every brand has its faults.
I feel that people just buy cars now for what ever electronics they have and couldn’t even tell you what engine it has.
Or in tire season you ask the customer where their wheel lock socket is and all you get is a blank stare.

ChickenLips
07-22-2022, 10:40 AM
They don’t make anything like they used to.
Every brand has its faults.
I feel that people just buy cars now for what ever electronics they have and couldn’t even tell you what engine it has.
Or in tire season you ask the customer where their wheel lock socket is and all you get is a blank stare.

try finding an engine under all the hoses and covers

UnlimitedTraction
07-22-2022, 05:02 PM
Check out this BS.

stop by Kelowna Chevrolet located at 2350 Hwy 97 N, Kelowna, BC V1X 4H8 to make this car yours today!

$899 documentation fee, plus a 0.75% commission fee will be charged on the purchase of all New and Pre-Owned vehicles from Kelowna Chevrolet. (0.75% commission fee is based on the top selling price available on bill of sale.)

While we try to ensure accuracy, we reserve the right to correct any errors in pricing or descriptions, and to cancel or refuse to accept a purchase based on an incorrect price or description listed online. Offers, rates, terms, and pricing are subject to change without notice. Vehicle may be for illustration purposes only, models, trims, and options may vary. See Dealer for Details.. *$899 documentation fee, plus a 0.75% commission fee will be charged on the purchase of all New and Pre-Owned vehicles from Kelowna Chevrolet. (0.75% commission fee is based on the top selling price available on bill of sale.)

Engine: Gas V8 6.2L/376

LOL

LX89
07-22-2022, 09:42 PM
My fathers 97 Accord 2.2 keeps going and going.
I doubt anything newer would be anywhere near as reliable as this.

xeninworx
07-23-2022, 06:27 AM
My fathers 97 Accord 2.2 keeps going and going.
I doubt anything newer would be anywhere near as reliable as this.

Especially since more cars are direct injection with no catch can so the intake valves get gunked up. I know Ford actually sells catch cans for the V8s.

5.4MarkVIII
07-23-2022, 09:05 AM
my dad has been Toyota since. the late 80's ive driven every one of them. every new one is worst than the last.

he has had (if i re call correctly a 89 , 94ish, a 2001, and like 2015is. the 89 and 94 where bullet proof. bot between 300 and 400 k before getting rid. the 2001 was his first brand new car. he loved it but it did have some issues. mostly suspension and rust if i recall. but he still hit 400K on it. after that he went to a newer but slightly used corolla. and never liked it, too small too noisy, he traded that and go burned on the deal by the dealer into the 2015 ish Camry. back to brand new. had issues with paint pealing on the grill. noisy and not super comfortable to rid in. traded it after a couple years on a again newer but slightly used Rav4. he loved it, but to me was not a comfortable ride. worse on gas than my Edge. and a terrible rumble at highway speed that ended up being the stupid rubber antenna on the roof. mom working at the time ment they needed a second car so he bought another rav4, brand new, it was garbage. worse on gas than the one that was a couple years older. after a year it developed a terrible tick in the engine that the Toyota said was a valve issue but denied warranty saying he had missed oil changes (they did all he oil changes for him) he drove it as it was for another year and them mom with her health stuff couldn't drive anymore mush so they traded both in on a new style rav just a couple years ago. he loves it. I think its way better that the previous gen. but id take my Bronco sport over it any day.

i think some brands have improved a lot of the years. I think some have just kinds rode along. IMO in my (albeit limited) experience with both honda and toyota. they are nothing like they used to be and the Customer service i have seen from both (at least the local dealers) id never buy one.

ChickenLips
07-23-2022, 03:52 PM
what's changed? Ever stricter economy regulations.

I guess the energy/carbon foot print of additional maintenance, tows and premature scrapping, making replacements is less than a little less economy.

5.4MarkVIII
07-23-2022, 06:26 PM
what's changed? Ever stricter economy regulations.

I guess the energy/carbon foot print of additional maintenance, tows and premature scrapping, making replacements is less than a little less economy.

I'm sure that's part of it. we also have a a few decades of people demanding more options for a cheaper price. the manufactures for everything have listened. it has costs of tons of jobs and quality items. we are currently reaping the rewards for this mindset. just my opinion.