PDA

View Full Version : Drove my first EV today…

Stephen06GT
08-28-2022, 04:39 PM
While at the car show at the Wellington County museum, there was an EV test drive being offered. We drove a Kia EV6. The car drove very well, had good room in the front and rear seats, and the acceleration was astonishing. According to the trip computer it could do 425km in economy mode, but for a loss of 25km you could put it in sport mode and have a permanent-grin on your face.

ChickenLips
08-28-2022, 08:26 PM
I have a friend who works at a Kia dealer. They have major battery issues.

fast Ed
08-28-2022, 09:20 PM
I had a very brief drive in an F-150 Lightning a few days ago ... crazy to be in something that large accelerating that hard!

RedSN
08-28-2022, 11:34 PM
They have major battery issues.
Specifically…..?

ChickenLips
08-29-2022, 08:07 AM
Specifically…..?

they fail and need replacement. Replacements are same design.

ChickenLips
08-29-2022, 08:08 AM
Specifically…..?

they fail and need replacement. Replacements are same design.

On the other hand Tesla batteries are supposed to be very good. Lots of demand for them for alternative uses.

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2022, 08:40 AM
My guess is some sort of fuse or thermal limit that was built into the pack and isn’t serviceable. This is the go to for a lot of battery makers.

Teslas fuses are changeable.

The aftermarket is now stepping up and working on replacement cells. So you don’t have to trash the whole batterie if a single cell goes bad. So far Tesla is not supporting of this repair.

ChickenLips
08-29-2022, 09:49 AM
My Kia friend is another Mustang guy. His maintenance department is swapping and scrapping batteries. Batteries not fixable. They pay for disposal.

How is this sustainable you may ask. Subsidies. Your tax dollars at work saving the planet one wealth transfer at a time.

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2022, 12:31 PM
My Kia friend is another Mustang guy. His maintenance department is swapping and scrapping batteries. Batteries not fixable. They pay for disposal.

How is this sustainable you may ask. Subsidies. Your tax dollars at work saving the planet one wealth transfer at a time.

Try and score some of the batteries.
Could be big money in finding a fix/use.

ChickenLips
08-29-2022, 01:41 PM
Try and score some of the batteries.
Could be big money in finding a fix/use.

That was my first thought. I don't believe the battery is repairable due to design or construction. I drilled down pretty deep questioning him on the failure mode.

I do know the Tesla batteries can be tinkered with. Kinda strange Kia hasn't changed design (that I'm aware of) since Tesla hasn't patented and Elon is happy to share design info. There is a reason for sure. I suspect it's along the lines of paying farmers to plough their crops under.

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2022, 03:36 PM
I read somewhere that Tesla was changing batterie. Something about going to the Toyota design. Not sure what makes it better

As for the Kia. It would not surprise me to see them do what everything seems to be with new appliances. Modular parts. Molded in plastic so it can’t be opened and fixed.

Spock
08-29-2022, 08:12 PM
I read somewhere that Tesla was changing batterie. Something about going to the Toyota design. Not sure what makes it better

As for the Kia. It would not surprise me to see them do what everything seems to be with new appliances. Modular parts. Molded in plastic so it can’t be opened and fixed.

Some of the Ford batteries are sealed with Urethane, major pain to open them up but there is a procedure to do it

fast Ed
08-29-2022, 08:29 PM
For any of you interested in EV and battey construction, check out this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MunroLive

This company does teardown and analysis of a bunch of different brands.

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2022, 08:47 PM
Some of the Ford batteries are sealed with Urethane, major pain to open them up but there is a procedure to do it

I totally get them being cautious. You can’t turn a battery off. Someone who dosnt know what they are doing can get killed in a hurry.

ChickenLips
08-29-2022, 11:19 PM
https://insideevs.com/news/423581/severe-electric-car-fire-explosion-charging/