View Full Version : Motor Vehicle Inspection Changes

hammerhead
08-30-2022, 01:39 PM
I did some digging today to try and get some updates on future changes to the MVIS —I operate a fleet station for trailers and I thought the changes would just effect commercial but it looks like all modes of transportation. It is a new integrated system with etesting on commercial trucks. I can post more info on that if someone is wondering but it is spotty at this time —I'm not sure but I think eventually the etest will filter down to diesel cars and maybe older gas cars and vehicles with engine swaps (this is just my speculation on the cars) below is an answer to and email I received. Station operators will no longer deal with the MTO but with this new branch called DriveOn. I believe this new DriveOn is affiliated with the clean air branch of the government. I have mixed feelings on this. Hope it gives some a bit of what to expect in the near future...

Thank you for expressing your interest to register to become a DriveON Vehicle Inspection Centre.

To maintain business continuity, MTO will transition stations in phases over the next two years. In Fall/Winter 2022-23, the DriveON will expand to include digital safety standards certificate inspections for cars, light-duty trucks and motorcycles, replacing the current paper-based safety standards certificate inspection.

DriveON will begin rolling out to stations in the MVIS program in February 2023. The rollout of digital vehicle safety inspections will also support new regulations coming into effect on August 1, 2024, to require commercial motor vehicle owners to provide a current annual or semi-annual safety inspection to register or renew a vehicle licence plate.

Thank you for reaching out to the Vehicle Inspection Centre Assistance Contact Centre.

If you have additional questions about the DriveON program, please send an email to cvor@ontario.ca.

Zee
08-30-2022, 02:41 PM
They're definitely going to filter it downwards and force the general public to abide by the e-test laws.
This is a good way for them to forcibly phase out older gasoline vehicles...which would be infuriating.

hammerhead
08-30-2022, 03:05 PM
They're definitely going to filter it downwards and force the general public to abide by the e-test laws.
This is a good way for them to forcibly phase out older gasoline vehicles...which would be infuriating.

I think that's the future plan —for the immediate they are trying to squash illegal safeties —the safety is going to involve a camera and everything will be online and in real time —I'm sure the safety will take longer and be more expensive as other equipment will need to be purchased to perform a safety —there will be no more paper stationary —the stream lining of paperwork is a welcome change. The way it is done now is so archaic and nothing but problems. For diesels it's the guys rolling coal that will be the target whether its a pickup or a jetta. There is even a hotline people can phone and report excessive exhaust smoke —its a shame people have to always take things to the extreme and I'm hoping this doesn't lead to yearly annuals for commuter vehicles. On the bright side it might mean more track days and maybe more tracks.

commercial vehicles will need an etest yearly with the required annual —there is a breakdown for how commercial etesting will be performed

hammerhead
08-30-2022, 03:24 PM
I think that's the future plan —for the immediate they are trying to squash illegal safeties —the safety is going to involve a camera and everything will be online and in real time —I'm sure the safety will take longer and be more expensive as other equipment will need to be purchased to perform a safety —there will be no more paper stationary —the stream lining of paperwork is a welcome change. The way it is done now is so archaic and nothing but problems. For diesels it's the guys rolling coal that will be the target whether its a pickup or a jetta. There is even a hotline people can phone and report excessive exhaust smoke —its a shame people have to always take things to the extreme and I'm hoping this doesn't lead to yearly annuals for commuter vehicles. On the bright side it might mean more track days and maybe more tracks.

commercial vehicles will need an etest yearly with the required annual —there is a breakdown for how commercial etesting will be performed

There is also a business opportunity here for someone interested in just having an emissions test sight and I believe the option to be mobile will still remain as it was initially going to be wiped out