PDA

View Full Version : Advice In The Gradual Un-Fucking Of My Car

Laffs
09-02-2022, 11:02 AM
Currently my car has UPR double adjustable upper and lower rear control arms. They're heim joint ends on both and ride something like a cross between lumber wagon and WHY DID I LET SOMEONE TALK ME IN TO THESE

https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/upr-mustang-rear-adjustable-lower-control-arms-chromoly-79-98-2002-01_fc1bc59b.jpg

https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/upr-20011_4815.jpg

It's honestly not the ride I hate most its the constant clunking and vibrations.

About to order a set of Team Z Urethane Upper and Max Motorsports weight jacker lowers.

https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/99-04-mustang-maximum-motorspo_aec804d2.jpg

https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/lrs-tzm-sbu_e75cdc50.jpg

While I acknowledge that stock uppers are the best in terms of ride and harshness, my car is slammed and I need to be able to set the pinion angle correctly.

Is this a decent choice for a car that is 99.9% street duty and wanting a "reasonable" ride quality?

ZR
09-02-2022, 11:50 AM
Team Z is firmly planted on our do not install list.
Will chime in later when I can

Laffs
09-02-2022, 01:59 PM
Noted, J&M makes a similar setup. Used them in the past no complaints.

hammerhead
09-02-2022, 02:05 PM
if those new edge cars are the same triangulated set up as the early foxbody...? MM might have a torque arm kit and due away with the upper links altogether —binding with suspension travel is a problem with the angle on the upper and lower links fighting against each other and may be worse on a lowered car —Heim joints aren't a good road choice and don't last long

Laffs
09-02-2022, 02:06 PM
Torque arm kit is a bit outside my snack bracket last I looked.

hammerhead
09-02-2022, 02:30 PM
Torque arm kit is a bit outside my snack bracket last I looked.

yah they are extreme in price I don't blame you —I don't like how the MM for foxbodies is setup because it doesn't take in consideration of "jacking" on high horsepower cars which will lead to further tuning of the suspension —effective four links all point in the same direction

bluetoy
09-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Go back to stock. No NVH. If you don't track it why bother with all the NVH caused by aftermarket with poly or delrin or even heim joints.

Laffs
09-02-2022, 04:53 PM
Like to keep the ride height I have also I will occasionally beat the shit out of it.

ZR
09-02-2022, 05:02 PM
There is no substitute for MM Maximum Duty lower arms with stock style uppers. They also come in the jacker style. On Ross's car, no downside, no noise, no issues, car drives fantastic and is insanely fast at track days. I also have them on my '05 n install a set or three a season. All of the other offerings out there pale in comparison.
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/GetImage.ashx?Path=%7e%2fAssets%2fstore_images%2fr ear_susp%2fMMRLCA-30.jpg&maintainAspectRatio=true

Ponyryd
09-02-2022, 05:29 PM
If you need the upper adjustment for pinion angle then yes, the Team Z parts are a good choice, they seem to focus on mostly race applications but I’m sure they’ll still be a lot better than a heim joint (ugh…), Detroit-based company as well IIRC. The lower weight jackers are good as well and would be my choice to be able to set the ride height perfectly, only issue with them is that you can see them much more than a standard arm.

Zippy
09-02-2022, 05:50 PM
What do you have for springs and shocks all the way around?

Laffs
09-02-2022, 07:59 PM
What do you have for springs and shocks all the way around?

H&R SS with Koni double adjustables

RedSN
09-02-2022, 08:10 PM
As ZR said, MM HD lowers, stock uppers, and a set of rear coil overs. And then once you have coil overs in the back, might as well do the fronts. :stickpoke:

Zippy
09-02-2022, 09:24 PM
H&R SS with Koni double adjustables

What are your shock settings on both compression and rebound?

Laffs
09-02-2022, 09:57 PM
What are your shock settings on both compression and rebound?

Rebound I think 6 clicks ccw from full soft, compression is 8 clicks cw from full soft. I think. Havent fucked with it in like 6 years.

Zippy
09-02-2022, 10:13 PM
Rebound I think 6 clicks ccw from full soft, compression is 8 clicks cw from full soft. I think. Havent fucked with it in like 6 years.

I would try messing with those settings. The rebound isnt clicks so you havn't messed with it in awhile lol. For rebound, I am one full turn from the softest. For compression, you should try just being 1 click from the bottom front and back. (full soft is counter clockwise).
I bet you pick up a ton of ride messing with those settings. It sounds like you are unhappy with the rear, so maybe just adjust the rear compression first to 1 from the bottom. 8clicks from bottom is 3/4 hard.... which would be rough for sure.

Edit: this obviously won't fix the clunking & vibrations, but will for sure help with ride harshness.

Laffs
09-02-2022, 10:29 PM
I would try messing with those settings. The rebound isnt clicks so you havn't messed with it in awhile lol. For rebound, I am one full turn from the softest. For compression, you should try just being 1 click from the bottom front and back. (full soft is counter clockwise).
I bet you pick up a ton of ride messing with those settings. It sounds like you are unhappy with the rear, so maybe just adjust the rear compression first to 1 from the bottom. 8clicks from bottom is 3/4 hard.... which would be rough for sure.

Edit: this obviously won't fix the clunking & vibrations, but will for sure help with ride harshness.

Fair play, will def try that. But honestly Im likely still wanting to swap these control arms. Honestly when the car had J&M poly non adjustable lowers and stock uppers it was sooooo much better to drive but was told I needed all the adjustability to compensate for my ride height. Thus begin the decline and start of clunks and chassis vibrations.

Ponyryd
09-02-2022, 11:23 PM
Fair play, will def try that. But honestly Im likely still wanting to swap these control arms. Honestly when the car had J&M poly non adjustable lowers and stock uppers it was sooooo much better to drive but was told I needed all the adjustability to compensate for my ride height. Thus begin the decline and start of clunks and chassis vibrations.
I can’t say on the pinion angle, but I didn’t think your car was too low for non-adj uppers….was it the same guy that told you to run heim joints, lol. If you have stockers toss them in and go for a ride.

ChickenLips
09-03-2022, 10:54 AM
There's a kinda local guy making subframe connectors with integrated torque box re-enforcemetns. Looks good, good reviews. Guy looks capable. I'd bet he knocks out torque arms and pan hards if asked.

Quebec near Ottawa I think. I did a quick search but missed. Someone here probably has his info.

Zee
09-06-2022, 09:43 AM
I empathize with you my friend.
My car has ZERO body roll, feels like my old s2000 but its almost unbearable sometimes to drive.
Its not the front as much but the rear feels like an absolute unit which does not move. I'm thinking its because of the torque arm.

Zippy
09-06-2022, 10:29 AM
My car has ZERO body roll, feels like my old s2000 but its almost unbearable sometimes to drive.
Its not the front as much but the rear feels like an absolute unit which does not move. I'm thinking its because of the torque arm.

what springs/shocks/sway bars do you have?

RedSN
09-06-2022, 04:26 PM

That's not my experience with my torque arm. It articulates extremely well. I use ALL my suspension travel.

Zippy
09-06-2022, 07:10 PM
If you have a torque arm, i think it's mandatory for you to come to track day
:highfive::dragster:

Ponyryd
09-06-2022, 08:13 PM

Torque arm should not cause what you’re describing here, sounds like a shock/spring issue to me.

ZR
09-06-2022, 10:17 PM
^ Exactly dat.

RAT ATK
09-08-2022, 07:49 AM
Have a set of J&M lower control arms in excellent condition. PM me if you’re interested.

Zee
09-09-2022, 08:31 AM
what springs/shocks/sway bars do you have?

Bilstein coilovers but they're super old. Not leaking ...I swear these things have absolutely solidifed in the rear.
No sway bar in the rear lol.
Quad shocks were deleted, Torque arm, the coil overs and panhard bar.
This is why I want to bring it by one of these days, to figure out wtf is going on

Zee
09-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Torque arm should not cause what you’re describing here, sounds like a shock/spring issue to me.

Its essentially all metal on metal back there. Really do want to get that suspension sorted so I can drive around without my teeth chattering lol

ZR
09-09-2022, 09:12 AM
^ Combo should not ride poorly, yes need to look n figure out.

RedSN
09-09-2022, 11:08 AM
What torque arm is it?

1BAD92LX
09-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Bilstein coilovers but they're super old. Not leaking ...I swear these things have absolutely solidifed in the rear.
No sway bar in the rear lol.
Quad shocks were deleted, Torque arm, the coil overs and panhard bar.
This is why I want to bring it by one of these days, to figure out wtf is going on

What rear spring rate do you have? You may have maxed out the bilstiens with too stiff of a spring. I have koni d/a now but before had c/o with bilstiens, didnt like the ride because MM recommended to stiff of a spring. Could try your bilstiens still but with MM torque arm springs in the stock location.

Ponyryd
09-09-2022, 07:12 PM
Its essentially all metal on metal back there. Really do want to get that suspension sorted so I can drive around without my teeth chattering lol

In all honestly I would just buy a new pair, it really can’t be anything but the coilover combo, and if it’s old I’m sure they’re due to be replaced. You could also just get the proper spring and have have the dampers rebuilt if they’re still in good shape.

Zee
09-12-2022, 08:57 AM
In all honestly I would just buy a new pair, it really can’t be anything but the coilover combo, and if it’s old I’m sure they’re due to be replaced. You could also just get the proper spring and have have the dampers rebuilt if they’re still in good shape.

Do they sell just the rear's?

Ponyryd
09-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Do they sell just the rear's?

I thought you could buy separates from Bilstein but I’m honestly not sure. Aftermarket will generally only sell a complete kit, but I’d send an email and see if they can sell the pair, or maybe rebuild yours.