PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy GOOD drill bits.

5.4MarkVIII
10-01-2022, 10:59 AM
The local typical tool places (Canadian trash, Rona, Home Depot)

All their drill bits are garbage. I’m drilling holes for the floor board screws on the car trailer. It’s just mild steal but any of the bits at garbage. The standard master craft will drill one hole and won’t drill the second the Dewalt, Milwaukee and the master craft maximum will get three or 4 and then either brake or are garbage.

Just wasting time drilling a pit of holes and then sharpening the bit.

I tired of friken around and with the new shop slowly getting outfitted. I NEED a good proper set of drill bits that I can finish a project with without running to the sharpener 100 times.

What do you use. And where can I buy them.

Thanks gents.

hammerhead
10-01-2022, 11:19 AM
i buy mine at a local truck parts supplier —working on transports trailers I've likely drilled a million holes —we use a 9/32 bit for a 5/16 self tapper mainly —and go thru a lot of bits it helps to have a bench grinder to sharpen dull bits

Traction or Fort Gary are truck parts suppliers if you have any of those in your area or try an industrial supplier like brafasco or bolts plus and sometimes I order from here https://www.lawsonproducts.com/

RedSN
10-01-2022, 11:26 AM
What are you using? Ironwood?

Any time I’ve ruined a bit has been through steel.

TBH, the best set of bits I’ve ever had (still using them), was a set of CT Maximum cobalt bits. Was on some crazy sale.

Stephen06GT
10-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Would some type of cutting oil help?

Uncle Buck
10-01-2022, 12:16 PM
What are you using? Ironwood?

Any time I’ve ruined a bit has been through steel.

TBH, the best set of bits I’ve ever had (still using them), was a set of CT Maximum cobalt bits. Was on some crazy sale.

I have the same set and probably got the same sale. I think I broke a couple but that’s operator error. Good bits.

5.4MarkVIII
10-01-2022, 12:34 PM
To clarify. Drilling threw the wood deck is fine it’s the metal braces under that seem to be giving me more issues than I have encountered before. Have tried cutting oil and it helps but still only getting about 3 holes and then need to sharpen. I did just check and my CT maximum bits are not the cobolt ones. Will see if they have them when I head to town next.

RedSN
10-01-2022, 02:45 PM
Ha! Sounds like bed-frame steel. Nothing will drill through that shit.

edit: just had a look at the CT website, and didn’t see the set I bought.

redo75
10-01-2022, 03:02 PM
Any particular sizes that you use the most??
You can PM me.

Redfire427
10-01-2022, 07:57 PM
I’m a retired machinist, so I have used all the good stuff over the years. Canadian tire and similar only sell basic tools for homeowners. If you want the good stuff, you need to go to an industrial supplier. I worked in Mississauga for most of my career so I can certainly recommend a supplier. You want good brand names like Dormer, Cleveland twist drill, Precision drill, Greenfield. Yes, they cost more than big box stores, but they have a much higher cobalt content and will last way longer.

Carmen

RedSN
10-01-2022, 08:13 PM
Problem with “industrial suppliers” (not just tools), is they generally don’t sell to the common “homeowner”. You’ve got to be in the “biz”.

…hookups such as the one you have just extended are always welcome

5.4MarkVIII
10-01-2022, 08:16 PM
Thanks gents. I’ll look for the brands suggested on Monday when the industrial supplier opens up.

The cheap stuff has always done the job but thinking back any bigger projects like this I have done before would be done in my dads shop. Using Grandpas old drill bits from his machine tools from a long long time ago.

Need to start stocking my shop with the good stuff.

redo75
10-01-2022, 08:26 PM
I have a few boxes of new name brand drill bits that I got through some tool deals and some from a relative that worked at the old INCO. Just tell me the sizes you need now to complete your project.

5.4MarkVIII
10-01-2022, 08:30 PM
I have a few boxes of new name brand drill bits that I got through some tool deals and some from a relative that worked at the old INCO. Just tell me the sizes you need now to complete your project.

Appreciate that very much the floor board screws need a 7/32 pilot hole.

But I’m not local to Toronto. Pay more in gas than I will for a bit. Lol.

stand up offer though much appreciated

redo75
10-01-2022, 08:49 PM
OK, sorry I thought you needed a 1/4" and larger sizes. In the future??
And I am the guy from London.

5.4MarkVIII
10-01-2022, 09:26 PM
And I am the guy from London.

Right sorry.

Old Fart
10-01-2022, 09:46 PM
I have this set on my Amazon wish list.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q64LTFB/?coliid=I3I0F7W4WMP4BD&colid=267U8X499LDOG&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

https://i.postimg.cc/L5cZnSPx/81-Jqp5-Du1-DL-SY679.jpg

Redfire427
10-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Problem with “industrial suppliers” (not just tools), is they generally don’t sell to the common “homeowner”. You’ve got to be in the “biz”.

…hookups such as the one you have just extended are always welcome

Not sure where the OP is located, but in Mississauga, there is Tryhard Industrial on Courtney Park Drive, or Caliber Industrial. To the east is Tyson Tool and Triumph Tool. All of these places have a sales counter for regular folk, but they are only open on weekdays.

Ziggyzag420
10-02-2022, 12:53 AM
Check out Sowa Tool as well

https://www.sowatool.com/CA/

Frankie
10-03-2022, 12:40 PM
My favorite tool reviewer these days:

https://youtu.be/xgQeSrsAXgE

Laffs
10-03-2022, 01:51 PM
For re-decking trailers we've just pre-drilled the wood then used a self drilling Tek screw that bores through the metal frame itself. If you have to drill the steel for any reason, Grainger sells some Cleveland/Greenfield sets that are around $300 but good good bits. Just watch your speed/angle and use oil. If doing a tonne of them free hand I recommend getting one of those drill - press adaptors to make sure your lining it up square.

Ponyryd
10-04-2022, 08:20 PM
You may be already doing this, but it’s best to drill the wood with a cheap bit, then use a better one (or at least a different one) to drill the steel framing. Drilling through wood will heat the bit up needlessly, making it softer and easier to dull.

Scrape
10-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Try these guys. I am sure they can help you out. I use them all the time. Tell them what your application is and they will get you the drill bit that you need. No cheap China shit here. Be prepared to pay but this is what you need from what it sounds like. I personally like the Emuge line of tools fyi.

5.4MarkVIII
10-05-2022, 07:45 PM
Thanks Gents. I stopped by the local industrial
Supply place again. (Went in before but only saw their Dewalt rack and Milwaukee rack)

They don’t sell better bits in a kit but do have a decent selection of loose ones of a better quality. Grabbed a couple to try them out.

100 holes later. Still on the first bit and have not had to sharpen it yet.

Might just dump all my master crap bits into a box and fill the holder up with these better bits. Lol.

RedSN
10-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Might just dump all my master crap bits into a box and fill the holder up with these better bits. Lol.

if i ever win the lottery, doing the same

Old Fart
10-05-2022, 11:29 PM
Grabbed a couple to try them out.

Details please?

redo75
10-06-2022, 08:08 AM
I have been unloading my older stuff to a number of local charities that sell them. Still a lot of hunger out there these days.

5.4MarkVIII
10-06-2022, 08:56 AM
Details please?

They are branded Osborn HSS.

I Only picked up a couple 7/32 and a couple 1/8

Was like 14 bucks for the 4 bits. Night and day difference between these and the standard Milwaukee and Dewalts I have.

Old Fart
10-06-2022, 09:36 AM
Cool, thanks. Grainger carries that brand and I have a local store.