PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

hammerhead
10-11-2022, 01:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80Ktp3nlsc

Would you do this...?

Laffs
10-11-2022, 02:42 PM
If I ran a YouTube channel or shop where getting more clicks on a video could be accomplished by doing a non-traditional or controversial swap yes I would.

If I was just trying to build a car that worked well, was easy to find parts for, and didn't involve tonnes of custom fab, no I would not.

hammerhead
10-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Do you think this is our future...Cuba on roids...? I'm thinking it will happen more often mostly out of no other option in the future when I'm really old.

Laffs
10-11-2022, 03:18 PM
I mean, people have been putting engines in cars that don't belong since the inception of hot rodding so I guess I think its our past, present and future? Cuba's situation is born out of necessity vs this is driven by a desire to showcase creativity as well as stand out from the crowd.

If you're asking do I think Corvettes will require rotary engines in the future because of scarcity? Fuck to the no, if I visit 50 wreckers in this province I bet I can come away with at least a few dozen LS/LQ motors robbed from old plumbing vans and hd trucks, but highly unlikely I'm going to find a 13B or 20B.

Aside from that, I mean there are still people keeping nailhead Buick V8s and L-Series Datsun engines going so I'd wager with the absolute ubiquity of 302 SBF's, 4.6 Mod Motors, and Coyotes in everything from Mustangs to F150's and everything in between we're all fine for our lifetime.

hammerhead
10-11-2022, 05:40 PM
I recently tried to find a Ford V6 - originally looking for a fresh rebuild for a 2005 Mustang - looked for about two weeks. No rebuilds around I could find - called several wreckers to find a used one —nothing - one of the sources had a high miler and mentioned to me the wreckers had called him looking one as well. So found three used ones - two in the US one out west. I didn't buy anything because I was looking for a quick turn around and the next option would be a parts car or engine swap. —negating the quick turn around again.

Laffs
10-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Not sure if these will post off my phone. If you dont use car-part to search wreckers your missing out.

StAnger
10-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Nope. And if I did, I'd expect someone to whack me with a baseball bat for doing it.

ZR
10-12-2022, 07:46 AM
Such a shortage of parts to rebuild, used have long since been gobbled up during Covid.

hammerhead
10-12-2022, 08:01 AM
been hoarding a 425 from a caddy with low miles —but have purged a lot since the move and still have a couple of 302's kicking around. I'm still getting a lot of back orders