PDA

View Full Version : Selling on a forum

Ponyryd
10-17-2022, 05:35 PM
So I haven’t been buying/selling much lately, but I always preferred selling on forums because of the kinda family aspect of it, a lot of us feel like we know each other, and many actually do, so we have a mutual respect, etc…
So imagine my surprise when I see a cool car for sale on a forum, the ad is bleak with limited photos but decent details, the problem is it’s missing the MOST important detail of all. So anyways I message the guy with a question and he links his kijiji ad-is it just me that thinks this is wrong, I mean I know it’s not a big deal, but damn, posting 5 numbers is easier than copying a link, no? Just seemed weird to me so I’m wondering if my thinking is a bit “old-school” and misaligned with forums lately?

ZR
10-17-2022, 05:55 PM
Long since over being shocked at adds these days.

92redragtop
10-17-2022, 05:57 PM
Isn't there a rule that the ad should contain a price? I know a lot of FB groups that allow sales posts typically mandate that (plus other details on the item being sold).

ZR
10-17-2022, 06:01 PM
You'll see a 40 or 50k ride with one picture taken in the dark combined with maybe one or two lines of a description followed by don't waste my time asking questions.

RedSN
10-17-2022, 06:07 PM
^^^somebody like that is not interested in selling. Not really.

ZR
10-17-2022, 06:17 PM
With how much I'm following rides I'm interested in Don, more common vs what you'd think.
Adding to that, ask polite n logical questions, either no reply or go out of their way to be rude. Most common, if your really serious you'll come see it. Well, not driving a good distance without knowing if it's really what I'm after.

hammerhead
10-18-2022, 08:34 AM
just testing the waters...

5.4MarkVIII
10-18-2022, 08:39 AM
Here is a rusted out hulk. I know what I have. $15000 firm

Or

I have a half finished project in a thousand pieces, who knows if all the parts are there or if the work that has been done is done properly.
I know what I have $50,000 firm

True Blue
10-18-2022, 09:41 AM
Selling because I have no space.
Willing to trade.

Zippy
10-18-2022, 09:46 AM
I think this sort of stuff has gotten worse through covid. Prices on cars were obviously very high, so people were posting ads with little info just to see if they would get action on their car or not.
I think once people come to the realization that nothing is moving, these silly ads will slowly go away.

ZR
10-18-2022, 09:52 AM
Good point Ross, almost comical seeing what peeps dream their rides will still sell for.
Even funnier, women that told me to flat out "fuck off" when I made a reasonable offer on her Vette is now couple or three grand below what I would have paid two months ago.............now it's "fuck you" I'll wait for another one. LOL

bluetoy
10-18-2022, 11:19 AM
Good point Ross, almost comical seeing what peeps dream their rides will still sell for.
Even funnier, women that told me to flat out "fuck off" when I made a reasonable offer on her Vette is now couple or three grand below what I would have paid two months ago.............now it's "fuck you" I'll wait for another one. LOL

Or send someone else to go buy it for you and offer less than she asking now.

ZR
10-18-2022, 11:22 AM
LOL

Laffs
10-18-2022, 12:12 PM

If its a C6 Z06 owned by a woman with an M name don't even bother. They will flip flop and then ask for more even if you offer asking.

ZR
10-18-2022, 12:52 PM
Silver Z06 out Ottawa way.
She is a piece of work.

Laffs
10-18-2022, 02:08 PM
Silver Z06 out Ottawa way.
She is a piece of work.

This one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/corvette-z06/1634520228 ?

ZR
10-18-2022, 02:18 PM
^ Yes thats the one. She previously had it listed with "competition package", no such thing in that yr. Pretty sure listing started either just under or just over 60k.

Laffs
10-18-2022, 02:27 PM
Uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Someone close to me has caught the track bug, been pushing him towards one of these as a track rat build. This one popped up KM's are right, but it's absolutely not "all original" or never modified (non OE skirts and spoiler, its at least lowered on stock bolts, few others cosmetic changes like inlays. Nothing earth shattering but like if your pricing it as this cream puff stocker that matters. We offered, some dickering and $54k was the number. Seems to be a done deal then suddenly "you know we've thought about it and really we think it's worth more, we now want another grand"

Figggggg offff.

5.4MarkVIII
10-18-2022, 02:33 PM
This one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/corvette-z06/1634520228 ?

That add has another huge pet peeve of mine for online selling. People who tag 10 other makes and models and 40 more cities in their add.

If I’m looking for a mustang in Sarnia. I don’t want 40 adds for BMW’s in Ottawa.

ZR
10-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Also been watching this one. He bought then mod'd during Covid which means he's got big $$ in it but its' gonna take sub 50k to see it down the road.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/834207951358477/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A65b660ab-5aac-4f18-ac00-64570e37f770

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/310617196_10166505544480332_5323624343107437725_n. jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=vz56orTRguYAX8uxRJs&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=00_AT8TjKcc_v3FZG92RndSDYE-mrZBguEBKtDuUu_WdIjVJw&oe=6353660A

5.4MarkVIII
10-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Do It!

ZR
10-18-2022, 05:57 PM
Would love to but feel it's still about 6k-ish over where I think the market really is.

mavrrrick
10-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Don’t you have a Camaro coming as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
10-18-2022, 06:34 PM
^ Yes have a ZL1 1LE on order.

5.4MarkVIII
10-18-2022, 08:02 PM
late 90's early 2000's the price of old stuff was up. this led to what we used to call, Mop and Glows, or Slop and mops. old cars needing serious work were filled with bondo and painted. some looked really good, to an untrained eye. they were then sold for top dollar as a "restoration"

my Tbird was one of these. the guy that i purchased it from bought it in Alberta as a new restoration. and shipped it back to ontario. he parked it in a barn with apparently 15-20 other cars and walked away. (they were an investment) after about 10 years. the cars he had bought within this few year span. were junk.

I payed 1800 for the Compleat car about 7 years ago. have ground Inches worth of bondo out of places. had to patch the floors replace both quarters. ect ect.

looking at some of the stuff on the market right now. I think we are seeing the same kind of deals.

if your buying old stuff right now. look real close at it.

Ponyryd
10-18-2022, 08:03 PM
It’s terribly frustrating, and the main reason I haven’t had a weekend car in a while. The posting for the truck I bought a few months back was sent to me by a friend because I don’t even bother looking anymore, of course I see new posts on forums and when something interesting comes up I take a look. But yes, it seems even forums have become infected with the lazy/IDGAF mentality of sellers.

5.4MarkVIII
10-18-2022, 08:05 PM
Don’t you have a Camaro coming as well?

needs the corvette to drive until the Camaro comes in.

True Blue
10-18-2022, 08:57 PM
I think the "toy" market is going to see a big correction come Spring time with a recession looming. The cars I've been watching Stateside are coming down in price and are still not selling. I have no problem waiting to scoop up a deal.

ZR
10-18-2022, 10:41 PM
+ 1 on the above.

Zippy
10-18-2022, 10:59 PM
I'm willing to drop the price on the DECH to $29,999

hammerhead
10-19-2022, 09:10 AM
I have two young boys who both are into cars but neither would consider a muscle car and I don't think it's price. Whenever I had one it meant nothing to them. Most young men I know would never consider them. It's a generational thing. Ultimately the muscle car collector or purchasers will be gone and the price will reflect that. With a questionable future for our hobby I'm not sure its wise to invest in them at all.

Laffs
10-19-2022, 10:29 AM
Cars that are truly special will stay up in price as will cars that represent something you can no longer get with modern vehicles.

E.G. Manual transmission BMW M cars, Manual N/A Porsche 911's, Saleen Mustangs or SVT cars, etc etc. There may be an adjustment on some of these but the days of good sub 20k range E46s, 30k range C6Z06s and 20k range Terminator Cobras are over.

I think the money that modern era Mustang GT's were commanding is going to drop, as well the premiums on your basic SN95/New Edge/S197 cars we saw over pandemic will really fall. People asking near 20k for basic GT New Edges with near 100k kms will see a sharp drop to probably near half that.

However realistically this hobby will be out of reach from many many people for the foreseeable future unfortunately, that's honestly the most depressing part of this. 5k used to get you a nice little SN95 5spd manual, even $3500 would get you one that was a project you could still enjoy. Now that figure is doubled and that coupled with the rising cost of all the ancillaries pushes it just outside what an average person could do.

Zutz2v
10-19-2022, 10:49 AM
I have two young boys who both are into cars but neither would consider a muscle car and I don't think it's price. Whenever I had one it meant nothing to them. Most young men I know would never consider them. It's a generational thing. Ultimately the muscle car collector or purchasers will be gone and the price will reflect that. With a questionable future for our hobby I'm not sure its wise to invest in them at all.

I see your point but I disagree. Lots of guys love muscle and always will. Your boys may just not care for them because they always seen dad having to fix it so they generally may be turned off ? My dad didn’t give a hoot about cars. Me ? I’d collect them until I dropped if I could.

MUSTANGWOP
10-19-2022, 12:17 PM
Cars that are truly special will stay up in price as will cars that represent something you can no longer get with modern vehicles.

E.G. Manual transmission BMW M cars, Manual N/A Porsche 911's, Saleen Mustangs or SVT cars, etc etc. There may be an adjustment on some of these but the days of good sub 20k range E46s, 30k range C6Z06s and 20k range Terminator Cobras are over.

I think the money that modern era Mustang GT's were commanding is going to drop, as well the premiums on your basic SN95/New Edge/S197 cars we saw over pandemic will really fall. People asking near 20k for basic GT New Edges with near 100k kms will see a sharp drop to probably near half that.

However realistically this hobby will be out of reach from many many people for the foreseeable future unfortunately, that's honestly the most depressing part of this. 5k used to get you a nice little SN95 5spd manual, even $3500 would get you one that was a project you could still enjoy. Now that figure is doubled and that coupled with the rising cost of all the ancillaries pushes it just outside what an average person could do.

Well said Laffs, I agree with what you laid out there.