PDA

View Full Version : sump pump back up

ChickenLips
11-17-2022, 02:05 PM
I'm looking into a back up system for my sump pump. I've had battery back up pumps in the past and aren't a fan.

I see the Depot offers a water powered unit that uses city water as the motivator.

Bur-Cam Contractor Sump Buddy Backup Pump

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bur-cam-contractor-sump-buddy-backup-pump/1001628345

Does anyone have experience with this system or similar?

Ponyryd
11-17-2022, 08:14 PM
I’ve been thinking of the same, as well as maybe a new pump since mine was here when we moved in 12 years ago, lol. I’ve had no problems and never think about it, but the power goes out most commonly during storms. The one posted sounds good but I would bet it doesn’t flow very much at all, but it may be better than nothing.

ChickenLips
11-18-2022, 12:42 PM
My neighbor on the opposite side has a water powered backup that has done the job during a power failure. I had to pull all the battery back ups from my computers and drive my sump pump. Good thing I was home.

Water powered is a lot simpler than a battery back up system, but everything breaks.

I'm looking for first hand experience with water powered back ups.

Laffs
11-21-2022, 10:03 AM
Had one for last 9 years at my place that I installed along with primaries on battery backups. My house is in a flood area so mine run a lot. As mentioned they do not flow near the GPH as primaries do, but mine in a pinch will tread water and depending on how much it hitting the pit normally keeps level stable until the power flicks back on which is why I added the batteries. Mine is positioned about 6" above the float level for primaries so it also works if the primaries can't keep up with intake this one steps in to help. Has only happened once since the units went in but was nice to have.

I have a liberty water powered pump on mine, works fine. Required a 3/4 feed line so you need to find your city feed line before it branches down. Also check valves in your discharge are a must if you don't already have them.

I treat these as sort of a last defense measure, not enough to make me think I can run no backups on my primaries at all but def helps me feel more secure in my overall system.

Black Sheep
11-21-2022, 06:08 PM
I put in a pump sentry inverter with 2 marine batteries. I also have 2 sump pumps in the well set at different heights.It will run my sump pump for approximately 80 hrs at 11 seconds on and 394 seconds off intervals.
I really haven’t had a full test yet. I guess that is a good thing.