PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower experts

LX89
12-14-2022, 10:39 PM
Have a 13hp Craftsman snowblower purchased new in 2006.
Need to add some 00 grease to the auger gearbox.
(oil from the factory grease has been leaking out at the bottom of gearbox)

The auger gearbox has two plastic or rubber grease plugs at the same height.
Do you add grease into one hole until it comes out of the other hole or would that be too much grease?

I have a big 2oz syringe so I can measure the amount of grease.
Sears manual is useless for this.

ZR
12-15-2022, 07:48 AM
I've moved to chassis grease in mine (leaking), pull plug n pump it full. It's well over 30yrs old n clears alot of snow.

LX89
12-15-2022, 11:04 PM
Not easy finding an answer to the question even on snowblower forums or youtube videos.
Some say their auger gearboxes take 2-4 ounces of grease depending on whatever make it is.

When I first noticed the leak more than a few years ago I discovered one of the lower gearbox bolts was stripped so I replaced it with a bolt and nut which stopped the leak for awhile.
Leaking a bit again this year so I tightened the bolts again and some moved a bit so hopefully that stops the leak again.

Cheap shit "quality" aluminum gearbox.

shakin
12-17-2022, 03:58 PM
In this video they have a taken apart the (Craftsman)gearbox, as make some excellent maintenance suggestions. They use 00 grease and suggest adding a little every year to ensure lubrication of the bronze worm gear and then on to the auger sleeve gear for the shaft.
https://www.google.com/search?q=old+walk+behind+snowblower+auger+gear+flu id&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA890CA890&oq=old+walk+behind+snowblower+auger+gear+fluid&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3.14619j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e368ffe3,vid:xzDTVS3ALO4,st:255