PDA

View Full Version : My very own "Am I the Asshole" thread

Quicksilver
12-26-2022, 12:32 PM
As you know, I'm a contractor. I run my business from my house, and we store most of our tools and equipment in my barn.
All of my crews are subcontractors, and as such they supply their own tools and trucks, while I have the more expensive stuff which we lend them as needed. They often leave stuff here for convenience, and pick it up later. I've not got insurance on their tools, nor have I ever said I'd be responsible.
Currently I have 4 crews, and we have people around all the time. Just two weeks ago we had a mobile guy here to replace all the tires on our dump truck(6 tires: $2400!!) I'm not allways here, and people do come and go.

One of my guys, we'll call him "Bob" has been with me for 22 years. Apparently, he left an $800 compressor in the barn a month ago. (We've since seen a similar one on sale for $250 at Home Depot, but whatever). He didn't tell me, and did not ask permission.
Now he can't find it, and thinks I should buy him a new one.

I think it's his responsibility, not mine, and I don't think I should have to pay for a new one. I will offer a couple of hundred dollars to help out, but not $800!

Opinions, please?

Old Fart
12-26-2022, 01:03 PM
Since he did not tell you it was in the barn, how do you know it was there. You are more generous than me by offering any money.

ChickenLips
12-26-2022, 01:08 PM
How valuable is he to your business?

How would giving him $$ or a compressor affect relations with the other contractors? Your actions will be the new precedent.

The above ignore whether or not his claim is real. Unless there's cameras, solving legitimacy is a waste of time.

Maybe buy a replacement that remains your property but is available for loan out.

Quicksilver
12-26-2022, 06:04 PM
Since he did not tell you it was in the barn, how do you know it was there. You are more generous than me by offering any money.

At least one of my guys said he saw it. After 22 years I don't think bob lied. As it happens, tools get left in my barn fairly often, but nothing has ever gone missing before.

Old Fart
12-26-2022, 07:02 PM
Ok, I see your point now. Maybe other workers borrowed it?

ChickenLips
12-27-2022, 11:14 AM
Context has changed a bit from original post.

22 year employee
confirmed the theft isn't a fictional shake down.
Omitting these details does indicate which way you're leaning, you don't need permission.

IMO 22 years buys some slack. I'd negotiate a workable compromise replacement, not a $800 payout. Insurance Co's don't give new car payout for a crashed 10 year old beater.

I'd then issue a "bulletin" to all the subs along the lines of "not responsible", just like postings re thefts in parking garages. I'd let the subs come up with a solution if they want some form of security.

ZR
12-27-2022, 12:30 PM
^ Makes perfect sense to me.

RedSN
12-27-2022, 01:06 PM
As you know, I'm a contractor. ….Opinions, please?
What’s the company name now? Lots of opinions on Homestars.com

Quicksilver
12-27-2022, 06:30 PM

What does Homestars have to do with the matter at hand?
A worker leaves some equipment at my barn, knowing it's not insured, never told me it was there, and more than a month later says he can't find it and I should replace it. I already offered to cover part of it.
Just asking for opinions as to whether I have any obligation, moral or otherwise, to pay for it.

mavrrrick
12-27-2022, 06:49 PM
Me personally…. I don’t think you are responsible at all. You were never informed or gave permission for him to leave it there. If you cover anything… imo…. You are very generous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Sheep
12-27-2022, 11:05 PM
You have no obligation...but to keep the piece....making an offer, as u did...is all that is needed to move forward. Good working partners are hard to come by and sometimes you have to bend a bit to keep the energy positive. Just remind him that you are doing this out of "the relationship " and by no means are u setting any type of precedent. Post a sign that you are not responsible for any missing items. Maybe go as far as having it in writing and have all sign a release form.
Imho. A few hundred dollars is nothing in the long run. You think you are right and he thinks he is right...so meeting in the middle seems fair. It will be way cheaper this way then trying to find someone again that has good work ethics that you sync with. Have u seen the type of workers today??? Makes me glad I dont have to deal with it anymore.

Quicksilver
12-28-2022, 12:34 PM
You have no obligation...but to keep the piece....making an offer, as u did...is all that is needed to move forward. Good working partners are hard to come by and sometimes you have to bend a bit to keep the energy positive. Just remind him that you are doing this out of "the relationship " and by no means are u setting any type of precedent. Post a sign that you are not responsible for any missing items. Maybe go as far as having it in writing and have all sign a release form.
Imho. A few hundred dollars is nothing in the long run. You think you are right and he thinks he is right...so meeting in the middle seems fair. It will be way cheaper this way then trying to find someone again that has good work ethics that you sync with. Have u seen the type of workers today??? Makes me glad I dont have to deal with it anymore.

My thoughts exactly.

Jack Raccoon!
12-28-2022, 03:00 PM

Too funny lol...

RedSN
12-28-2022, 06:41 PM
What does Homestars have to do with the matter at hand?
Just asking for opinions…
Was searching for more context before offering an opinion.