PDA

View Full Version : Chest freezer troubleshooting advice needed

ChickenLips
06-27-2023, 07:51 PM
I'm looking for a chest freezer. My neighbor has one I can get for free, but it needs work.

Compressor is running, but no cooling going on. It's an old Viking, which was a pretty good brand when Eatons was around.

I pulled the panel and don't see any relay or obvious leaks. I'm also hesitant to spend any money on the old tank.

Any group knowledge on refrigeration here?

5.4MarkVIII
06-27-2023, 08:22 PM
If the compressor is running but you are getting no cold then it’s most likely a leak and drained off all the refrigerant.

You would have to pressure test to find it but In most chest freezers especially if they are old the leak will be on one of the lines buried in the cabinet. It’s a sign of degraded insulation which allows the lines to sweat and corrode. IMO not worth the time and you will have to pay to dispose of which is why your neighbour is offering it for free.

ChickenLips
06-28-2023, 08:56 AM
If the compressor is running but you are getting no cold then it’s most likely a leak and drained off all the refrigerant.

You would have to pressure test to find it but In most chest freezers especially if they are old the leak will be on one of the lines buried in the cabinet. It’s a sign of degraded insulation which allows the lines to sweat and corrode. IMO not worth the time and you will have to pay to dispose of which is why your neighbour is offering it for free.

you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info