PDA

View Full Version : School me on LS motors.

5.4MarkVIII
08-20-2023, 02:48 PM
What would be considered the best LS motor to do an LS swap?

No. Not a mustang so don’t throw me out. Lol

If a fella had access to a running 2002 5.7. With about 175,000km. Would this make a good candidate? Not sure on the transmission but it’s out of a E series van.

Potentialy for a weekend warrior suv build.

If not the 5.7 what would you be looking for?

Laffs
08-20-2023, 03:15 PM
That would be a Vortec motor not an Ls I think?

5.4MarkVIII
08-20-2023, 03:57 PM
So not a good choice then? Some sources say the vortex is an LS. Just the iron block truck version. I really don’t know much other than it seems to be the go to for cost effective and easy parts

WidowrRacing
08-21-2023, 08:39 AM
The LS 5.3L and 6.0L is what I’ve noticed used in turbo builds and LS swaps and often referred to as junk yard builds cause they were both commonly found in several vehicles and can be purchased cheap from the scrap yards.

LS we’re designing for car duty while Vortec was used in SUV and truck lines.
Both were available in aluminum and I personally think these motors work so well due to the flowing capabilities of the stock cylinder heads and intakes. Many just swap in a cam and exhaust and see good gains.

redo75
08-21-2023, 09:32 AM
I think in most cases an speciaizedl oil pan is also needed for car swaps.
Two you tube vids that deal with LS swaps:
Fun with Cars2 about 6 months ago deals with a cheapo LS swap in a corvette.
Car Wizard 3 yrs ago did a problems with LS again in a corvette.
Hopes this teaches you not to stray from a blue oval. LOL

Quicksilver
08-21-2023, 10:16 AM
this is something i have researched with regard to an engine swap with my Avanti. apparently, almost any ls engine is good for about 25o,ooo miles and if cared for is almost indestructible. in the latest edition of hot rod magazine, a 5.3 and a 6.o were tested and both are very easily modified.
when and if i finally get the avanti going i plan on a junkyard 6.o for it.

redo75
08-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Sometimes you need to read carefully between the lines with the Hot Rod mag articles.
They are in bed with GM/Chrysler products and engines being the end all, Ford ehh.
Just my opinion, you don't see too much Ford stuff being pushed.

5.4MarkVIII
08-21-2023, 11:04 AM
Just trying to pre plan.

It’s not for a ford. Lol.

Will be a couple weeks before I can really look into engine bay size. And consider options.

Thought about doing it with a Fuel injected 5.0 but everyone seems to say the LS is cheaper

Based on more digging the vortex is more of the last gen 350 than the first gen LS. People say it’s a good option but the intake is taller.
Only reason I’m considering it is because I own one. In a van that I was considering scrapping anyway.

hammerhead
08-21-2023, 12:10 PM
If you have the engine I would just do it and cut a hole in the hood. It keeps you out of trouble until that one day when its done...lol

This is a 302 from and '89 Econoline stuffed into an first gen RX7. There was more room it it than a fox but lacked the height. Also the Intake on the Econoline is taller than a passenger vehicle.

5.4MarkVIII
08-21-2023, 12:53 PM
Current engine in the bay is an Tb injected AMC 360.

Can’t imagine the Sbc being any bigger than that beast.

hammerhead
08-21-2023, 01:43 PM
Current engine in the bay is an Tb injected AMC 360.

Can’t imagine the Sbc being any bigger than that beast.

yah you may have trouble finding 360 parts cheap. I don't have much experience with AMC but have had lots with mopar 360's and there could be some similarities. I think the GM engine should work well. may have to just sort out engine and tranny mounts.

Zee
08-21-2023, 01:49 PM
I want my mustang to have a LS swap

RedSN
08-21-2023, 02:59 PM
Potentialy for a weekend warrior suv build.
....after the T-bird, '35, and fire engine builds? :stickpoke:

Quicksilver
08-21-2023, 03:25 PM
there are umpteen American performance part companies selling LS conversion parts; engine mounts, headers, transmission adapters, serpentine drives, computers, fuel injection, nearly anything you would need to put an LS engine into almost anything.
I'd love to put a Coyote in my Avanti, but since all Avanti ll's came with Chevy engines, i know i won't have clearance problems and i'm at least paying attention to the car's history.

Laffs
08-21-2023, 03:38 PM
I want my mustang to have a LS swap

You just think you do.

5.4MarkVIII
08-21-2023, 04:24 PM
...DURING the T-bird, '35, and fire engine builds? :stickpoke:

Fixed. Lol

Also you forgot the basement.

ZR
08-21-2023, 06:40 PM
A cheap-ish LS swap is a good junk yard engine and matching auto trans. Modding them costs about the same as anything else. Always always always follow the path of parts required to the very end to be sure the finished product fits your budget. Anything with a stick trans pushes the swap outta reach for most.
On a side note, numbers you see for the above on TV shows in no way shape form should be taken as being anywhere close to reality.

Laffs
08-22-2023, 08:51 AM
A cheap-ish LS swap is a good junk yard engine and matching auto trans. Modding them costs about the same as anything else. Always always always follow the path of parts required to the very end to be sure the finished product fits your budget. Anything with a stick trans pushes the swap outta reach for most.
On a side note, numbers you see for the above on TV shows in no way shape form should be taken as being anywhere close to reality.

Numbers and timelines. It's easy to claim you did the swap in a weekend when off camera you test fit all the parts 2x and took it back apart for filming, ordered the hoses and fittings you realized weren't included or correct, had a crew member on standby to make part store runs and also have the magic of editing.

Zutz2v
08-22-2023, 08:57 AM
Seen a 2000s style Miata with an LS3 this weekend. That car took me by surprise. Definitely on my bucket list now.

ZR
08-22-2023, 09:02 AM
Numbers and timelines. It's easy to claim you did the swap in a weekend when off camera you test fit all the parts 2x and took it back apart for filming, ordered the hoses and fittings you realized weren't included or correct, had a crew member on standby to make part store runs and also have the magic of editing.

We get a buncha calls about the mythical 10K Coyote swaps including a new trans.

Laffs
08-22-2023, 09:25 AM
People online love to assign a $0 dollar value to their labour when claiming what it takes to do a swap.

5.4MarkVIII
08-22-2023, 09:25 AM

Or shows with sponsors who make sure you have all the parts cheap.

5.4MarkVIII
08-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Been doing more reading and I think that the LS is the way we want to go but man there are a ridiculous amount of options.

I found a place on line that does lots to swap an LS into out truck. They will sell you parts separate prefer if you just buy their turn key kit. Includes rebuked 5.3 and a trans. Plus’s all the stuff to put it in. From fuel pump to radiator. Install and ad 12volts.

$17000.

Talked to a couple local wreckers and they don’t sell a package. Say I want a 5.3. With the harness and computer and the trans. Sorry we can sell you they parts separate but they won’t come out of the same truck. Also what year of truck. What vin code ect ect ect

Other option is guys on marketplace selling taken out packages. Motor trans, computer and harnesses . All out of one truck.

Prices aren’t bad. But they are all 250k km plus.

More research to do.

Laffs
08-30-2023, 02:58 PM
Cleveland power and performance will sell you a low mile 6.2 next gen LT1 running on a pallet with a transmission for 17k. Much better performer than a 5.3 truck motor at that price but still big dollar.

Personally instead of buying a take out motor that you can't hear running what I would do is go to the industrial auctions, buy an ex plumbing/hvac'r Express Van with similar miles for 3-4k and pull it all outta there. Scrap the body and spend some money doing a reseal/re-ring at home and toss some upgrades in there like a mild cam, upgraded valvetrain, and do your consumables like water pump and the like. Probably end up being 7-8k all said and done but you'll have more or less everything but mounts, cooling system and integration.

bluetoy
08-30-2023, 03:41 PM
You should definitely look here for a drive train. They sell all these motors complete ready to run. They call them run pallets. Take a short drive to Georgia.... ok maybe not short but worth it imo.

https://thepartsfarm.com/collections/drivetrains

5.4MarkVIII
08-30-2023, 06:25 PM
Cleveland power and performance will sell you a low mile 6.2 next gen LT1 running on a pallet with a transmission for 17k. Much better performer than a 5.3 truck motor at that price but still big dollar.

Personally instead of buying a take out motor that you can't hear running what I would do is go to the industrial auctions, buy an ex plumbing/hvac'r Express Van with similar miles for 3-4k and pull it all outta there. Scrap the body and spend some money doing a reseal/re-ring at home and toss some upgrades in there like a mild cam, upgraded valvetrain, and do your consumables like water pump and the like. Probably end up being 7-8k all said and done but you'll have more or less everything but mounts, cooling system and integration.

Yes was thinking of looking that way.

Or just long block. 3-4K and then pick up a cheap blown pull out for the oil pan, intake, accessories. Ect.

ZR
08-30-2023, 09:45 PM
Several guys in Ontario doing drop outs with stock harness trimmed down to a power and ground hook up to make it run.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2023, 06:39 PM
Found a guy that does pull outs like Rick said.

Scored a 6.2 out of an Escalade. Go Monday to hear it run and put a deposit before he pulls it.

5.4MarkVIII
08-31-2023, 06:40 PM
So much for fuel economy. Lol