View Full Version : gas meter experts

LX89
09-03-2023, 08:38 PM
On the outlet pipe on my gas meter that goes into the house there is a small round brass plug that threads into the pipe.

This round brass plug has a round threaded cap at the end that can be removed.Cap is tight.

If you stick your nose close to that plug you can smell a faint smell of gas.
Sprayed some soapy water on the plug and you can see small bubbles coming from the threaded cap part of the round plug.

No bubbles where it screws into the pipe.
Is this normal like some kind of bleed off or not normal?

ChickenLips
09-04-2023, 10:31 AM
if the leak is metered it means you're paying for it. that alone should be grounds for correction, immediately.

If you call your provider and just say gas leak, it'll be dealt with promptly. Give no further detail. Plead ignorance, just say strong gas smell outside. They have no way to judge if you've got an overly sensitive nose.

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2023, 10:33 AM
A pic might help.

If it’s outside the meter your gas company is responsible. If it’s between the meter and the house they will still fix but you will get a bill.

Ponyryd
09-04-2023, 12:58 PM
I’m no expert, but if you’re wondering if a natural gas line should be vented the answer is no. Call the gas company.

USAWIT2
09-04-2023, 03:25 PM
The brass plug with a cap is used for testing, if it leaks it's Enbridge responsibility. Call them, there is no charge for them to come out

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

USAWIT2
09-04-2023, 03:30 PM
A pic might help.

If it’s outside the meter your gas company is responsible. If it’s between the meter and the house they will still fix but you will get a bill.Everything up to and including the meter outlet tailpc is Enbridges the rest is up to the house is the homeowner

RedSN
09-04-2023, 05:43 PM
The brass plug with a cap is used for testing…
…for leaks? Oh the irony.

USAWIT2
09-04-2023, 05:47 PM
…for leaks? Oh the irony.Lol, yes it's to hook up a gauge too, and sadly they do leak the odd time

LX89
09-05-2023, 09:13 PM
Called Enbridge today and they sent out a tech within the hour.
He replaced the brass plug and didn't have to turn off the gas to do it.

He said the brass plug is used for testing the gas pressure coming into the home and said that leaks are common with them.
Might want to check yours.

This leak was so slight you couldn't smell it if you walked by the meter.