PDA

View Full Version : Source for pricing old car parts?

5.4MarkVIII
09-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Is there any on line source for finding out what specifics car parts have sold for?

Specifically things like an old motor. I know one motor can be worth big money while another one nothing l.

Listing stuff is such a pita anymore. Would be nice to have a source that indicates if it’s even worth trying or best to just send to scrap.

Snaketamer
09-07-2023, 01:21 PM
Maybe Hemmings?

https://www.hemmings.com/

Laffs
09-07-2023, 03:16 PM
eBay searches can help, as can looking on forums for that specific car or truck. If it's real hard to find that exact thing generally I used to try to find a newer version of that car or part and price it similar to that.

Lately all I do with old or not needed parts is offer to friends for cost or to use until I need it at which point return it or gimme enough to buy a replacement or store them. I can't handle selling things anymore, used to be nice and fair almost fun to do the transaction now its rife with fucktards who try the " yo I got (20% of asking price) in CASH today I come get it" or liars who try the "please can I have it for free my son/daughter/relative is sick and I need this Kenne Bell boost a pump and harness to cheer them up" BS.

5.4MarkVIII
09-07-2023, 04:11 PM
eBay searches can help, as can looking on forums for that specific car or truck. If it's real hard to find that exact thing generally I used to try to find a newer version of that car or part and price it similar to that.

Lately all I do with old or not needed parts is offer to friends for cost or to use until I need it at which point return it or gimme enough to buy a replacement or store them. I can't handle selling things anymore, used to be nice and fair almost fun to do the transaction now its rife with fucktards who try the " yo I got (20% of asking price) in CASH today I come get it" or liars who try the "please can I have it for free my son/daughter/relative is sick and I need this Kenne Bell boost a pump and harness to cheer them up" BS.

Yes it’s that crap I just want to avoid if possible. Lol

redo75
09-07-2023, 05:05 PM
I don't know how many parts you are looking to place a value on, but if only a "few" I would try a call or visit to The Guild and/or RM Restorations in Blenheim.
Sometimes a nice request to a pro operation does come with a reply or maybe even an offer to buy your stuff.
In US still a lot of almost underground forums for old cars and trucks with For Sale stuff, but just finding or searching them out is the big problem.
I have found a lot out by misspelling of words, new computer stuff uses two words but when we were in school those same words were joined together as one.
Does make a difference to some old timers when posting stuff.
Good luck.

RedSN
09-07-2023, 06:05 PM
If you just want it gone, put a low price on it and see what happens. Either it sells at that price, or somebody will eventually negotiate.

I’ve sold a few items that I obviously missed the market on. Left a bunch of money on the table, but who cares. Somebody got a deal, and I got cash and freed up space.
Both times was vintage stuff. One was a BMX bike, the other an RC buggy, both 80’s era stuff.

Ponyryd
09-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Wtf Don, I didn’t see a BMX for sale!!!!!

For parts I usually take a quick look online and if they’re not worth much I just toss them, even though I hate Facebook it’s the best place to look and get pricing.