PDA

View Full Version : Current driving "trends" that annoy the fuck out of me

MUSTANGWOP
10-04-2023, 06:46 AM
1 - People driving with their high beams on. Have some fucking courtesy to those with retinas and turn them the fuck off when others are around. Maybe glance down at your instrument panel every once in a while during your self absorbed day and see if the blue high beam light is on when it shouldn't be.

2 - You're cruising along the highway or in slow traffic on the highway and approaching an ON ramp, some self entitled asshole(s) intentionally changes lanes into the on ramp to speed up and get a few cars ahead and expect to be let back into the lane. Not a fucking chance I'm letting you in you self entitled asshole. You can wait traffic out like the rest of us OR get yourself organized and plan better so you're not is such a rush.

Post up current driving "trends" that annoy the fuck out of you.

I hope no one here is #1 or2 above but if you are, you know how I feel about you :)

Stephen06GT
10-04-2023, 07:24 AM
I want to know when red lights and stop signs became a just a suggestion. This is especially true in Vaughan where you get honked at if you actually stop at a red light before making a right turn.

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2023, 07:25 AM
people who have to pull out in front of you, causing you to have to brake, despite no cars behind. then fail to do the speed limit or worse slam on the breaks to make the very next turn.

the surprising amount of people (usualy old) who drive stupid slow. 5-10 km below the speed limit on the country roads, but them blow threw town at the very same speed. 75 in an 80 out in the country, and then 75 threw town. usualy can also be seen ignoring stop signs and failing to use signals.

people who cant drive a steady speed. always fluctuating over a difference of 30-40 km/h and usualy tend to speed up when its safe to pass and slow down when there are oncoming cars.

people who drive in snow storms and fog with their hazards on.

people wo don't understand the right of way sequence.

ZR
10-04-2023, 08:08 AM
To me, my number one is the root cause of all of the above, no proper on road law enforcement. Yup, we all see the chicken shit radar traps at speed transition zones, hiding on or behind brides and down hills but on a day to day basis you see virtually zero presence out on the roads doing anything about whats now become part of our daily driving lives. Not a drive without something with an AK47 tune blasting away, cars blowing reds, being cut off, 3, 4 or 5 lane swings to either get off at the next ramp they didn't plan for of just weave through traffic, our roads are a war zone. Nothing but endless talk about road safety but no real action that matters. Personally thought shows like Canada's Worst Driver would bring to light how clearly corrupted our testing system is across the country but it made no difference either. I will also never stop being pissed about my personal insurance rates are based on driving in among those that are poor drivers.

MUSTANGWOP
10-04-2023, 08:58 AM
people who have to pull out in front of you, causing you to have to brake, despite no cars behind. then fail to do the speed limit or worse slam on the breaks to make the very next turn.

I forgot about this one, thank you for posting it.
I feel in this situation the person pulling out in front of you isn't thinking: is it safe? Can I wait 3 more seconds until after you go by since there's no one behind you? They are treating it as "can I make it (safe or not)".
And once you pass them for driving slow after they pulled in front of you, they ride your ass at a speed faster than when you were behind them (and likely with their high beams on too).

RedSN
10-04-2023, 10:19 AM
2 - You're cruising along the highway or in slow traffic on the highway and approaching an ON ramp, some self entitled asshole(s) intentionally changes lanes into the on ramp to speed up and get a few cars ahead and expect to be let back into the lane. Not a fucking chance I'm letting you in you self entitled asshole. You can wait traffic out like the rest of us OR get yourself organized and plan better so you're not is such a rush.

This is my #1. It drives me insane. My daily commute on the 404 sees this constantly. Makes me wish I had a go-go-gadget spring loaded giant sideways punching glove.

Missing from the list, and my #2, is people driving through parking lots completely ignoring drive aisles.

#3 drivers in the left lane of a double lane advance green drifting into the right lane.

https://youtu.be/gVsaCYnXLNQ

Scrape
10-04-2023, 10:32 AM
I am going to send my wife this thread. She is now seeing how frustrated I get because of these shit drivers.

I will add on this list these ones.

1. Its getting dark out and or it is already dark out and zero lights on the vehicle. aka the "Ghost vehicle".
2. People driving 50 kph in a 80 kph zone along Hwy 7 for example. There is always at least one that does that in the passing lane.

ChickenLips
10-04-2023, 11:22 AM
driver tests are not about qualifying competent drivers. It's tax collection, more like a toll.

I drive a beater often and welcome any dipshit to plow into me. I bought it for less than book value and it'll probably get written off for anything more than a scratch. What frustrates me is that a few times I have taken evasive maneuvers simply because I wanted to get to my destination on time.

I do often travel at 95km/hr on 100 highways, simply for better economy (carbon tax). I do strictly practice right lane discipline, getting out of the way of faster divers. This seems to frustrate the pass on the right crowd, but if I see one coming I wait. I do speed up if impeding a transport.

When driving my 31 year old Lexus I'm deathly afraid of some dipshit T boning me. No way I'd recover the value of my resto work. I did convert to HID's and have four HID high beams, that's right four separate projectors. I've only recently put it back on the road and haven't had occasion to spar with oncoming high beams, but it will be like eye surgery.

We've all been in bumper to bumper and cars merging from the right hand ramp pass us by and slip in way ahead. Let's face it, it's the best strategy. Zooming up as far as you can and pushing in is rewarded with a "better" position so people do it. Human nature will get more of behaviors that are rewarded and less of behaviors that are punished. The logical method would be to zipper the merging cars in between the existing traffic but no one does that so we're reduced to defending our rolling bubble of personal space.

Does yelling at the windshield or winging online solve anything?

I feel better already, lookout dog, there's a kick loading.

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2023, 12:18 PM
To me, my number one is the root cause of all of the above, no proper on road law enforcement. Yup, we all see the chicken shit radar traps at speed transition zones, hiding on or behind brides and down hills but on a day to day basis you see virtually zero presence out on the roads doing anything about whats now become part of our daily driving lives. Not a drive without something with an AK47 tune blasting away, cars blowing reds, being cut off, 3, 4 or 5 lane swings to either get off at the next ramp they didn't plan for of just weave through traffic, our roads are a war zone. Nothing but endless talk about road safety but no real action that matters. Personally thought shows like Canada's Worst Driver would bring to light how clearly corrupted our testing system is across the country but it made no difference either. I will also never stop being pissed about my personal insurance rates are based on driving in among those that are poor drivers.

100% agree.

Stephen06GT
10-04-2023, 05:58 PM
On the drive home I was reminded of another pet peeve of mine, people that have no lane discipline. Making a left turn into the right lane or conversely making a right turn into the centre or left lane. The ramp from the 400 north to King Road has three lanes. The left is for turning left, the centre is a through lane and for turning right, and the right lane is for turning right. What does buddy in a Honda do, turns left from the centre lane. I know, it was more stupidity than lane discipline, but it got me thinking about it.

ZR
10-04-2023, 06:03 PM
How is it Ford built a pickup truck with 4 low beam headlights but can't manage to aim them so as to not blind on coming traffic (looks like high beams on to me)??

Black Sheep
10-04-2023, 07:01 PM
How is it Ford built a pickup truck with 4 low beam headlights but can't manage to aim them so as to not blind on coming traffic (looks like high beams on to me)??
That’s the new following headlight thingy….follow right into your eyes…lol

5.4MarkVIII
10-04-2023, 08:19 PM

Level kit to fit bigger tires without re aiming headlights.

mybckup
10-04-2023, 08:35 PM
These are all good valid points for drivers in a 4 wheeler. But think of all these poor traits for a qualified truck driver. Now I did say qualified as for there are many steering wheel holders that should never have an AZ or a DZ license. I work for a company that when loaded these vehicles are weighing in at 130k sometimes more and some pinhead pulls a dumb ass move and an accident may occur. Gee who are the first one to get blamed, not the idiot. Or think about the person on the side of the road trying repair a breakdown. It is a scary place to be.
On one occasion I have had a car end up on the right side of the vehicle while on the side off the road on the 407 west under the 404 bridge. Clown was on a phone call not paying attention and luckily swerved enough to the right to miss myself and the driver. The best was the cop lecturing us about no warning triangles being out until we pulled 1 from the front of the car and second one under the car.

People put the bloody device down and pay attention!
I want to get home at the end of the day without a trip to the hospital or in the Morge.

ZR
10-04-2023, 08:42 PM
Level kit to fit bigger tires without re aiming headlights.

Nope talking about bone stock ones.

LX89
10-04-2023, 09:40 PM
All I can say is driving these days is total insanity.
I don't enjoy it at all.

Way to many idiots out there.
I'm at the point where I think driving and cars are a waste of money.

ChickenLips
10-04-2023, 10:55 PM
When I pull up to a stop, or a red, I pull as far left as possible to allow drivers behind to make a right. I don't often get the same courtesy.

92redragtop
10-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Agree with all above - I'm glad I don't take the 410 every morning with the driving I see there the odd time I take it - will be doing so in the morning. May of the above behaviours observed in a relatively short distance.

Have to add what seems to me to be a noticeable increase in surprise/random U-turns where the following driver wouldn't expect someone to slam on the brakes to do a U-turn.

Ongoing pet peeve are drivers not turning on lights at night so only lights on are DRLs.

Driving home on 401 in Toronto at 2am today and blacked out Range Rover (matte black wrap) with no lights was booting it at +150km in the express lanes with reduced lanes for construction activity. I could barely see them so I'm sure they surprised some of the road crews when they blew by....then saw a car stopped in the right (live) lane, not shoulder, in the collector lanes near Yorkdale...with someone standing outside the car in the lane. :facepalm:

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing having dash illumination tied to headlights being on died when digital displays came in. Night driving with only DRL's must have an associated body count.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 09:36 AM
I'm familiar enough with my vehicles that I have a good sense of coasting distance. If I see a red, I can pretty accurately judge coasting in without braking until I'm about 10-20 km/hr arriving at the stop. The highway exit to my place is uphill to an overpass. I know exactly where to take my foot off the pedal to coast to the stop at the top, to the point where wind direction makes a difference. Occasionally I'll have someone go angry squirrel behind me, blast pass and then go hard on the brakes at the stop. I roll up behind them with cooler brakes and less wasted fuel, and a little less wear and tear. Most seem to be in a hurry to stop.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 09:41 AM
When I'm making a left at a light I look for the induction pad that triggers advanced green. This is typically 1-2 car lengths back from the line. If another car rolls in behind me I won't move off until they are right there ready to take my spot. Can't count the times other drivers have gotten ruffled and gestured as thanks for me triggering their advanced green. Your welcome.

92redragtop
10-05-2023, 10:04 AM
I'm familiar enough with my vehicles that I have a good sense of coasting distance. If I see a red, I can pretty accurately judge coasting in without braking until I'm about 10-20 km/hr arriving at the stop. The highway exit to my place is uphill to an overpass. I know exactly where to take my foot off the pedal to coast to the stop at the top, to the point where wind direction makes a difference. Occasionally I'll have someone go angry squirrel behind me, blast pass and then go hard on the brakes at the stop. I roll up behind them with cooler brakes and less wasted fuel, and a little less wear and tear. Most seem to be in a hurry to stop.

Yeah, most don't seem to look too far past their own car - hence all the drivers that go "speeding" towards a line of cars stopped at a red light just ahead of them instead of slowing and letting others enter the road from the side (sometimes just to get to the opposite lanes)....or they just block the intersections/driveways.

Laffs
10-05-2023, 10:26 AM
Lately I keep noticing drivers who can't seem to maintain a speed worth a damn. Not talking about going between 55-60 in a 50 but full on slowing down to mid 30s then up to 60, then back down again, then hanging out in the 40s then wash rinse repeat. If you can't maintain a reasonable speed for skill or mechanical issue get the fuck off the road.

Also dunno what it is anymore but no one can seem to stop at the white line at a light. Keep getting blocked from making a right turn by someone 2 or more car lengths back from the white line. When you honk they lose their fucking shit and point at the red light, no shit fuckwad I'm not saying pull in to traffic (although....) but pull up to the fucking line so folks can get by to turn right. Again if you can't figure out where the front and back end of your shitbox is get the fuck off the road.

Last thing I've experienced a bunch lately is pedestrians just fucking SENDING IT and walking in to oncoming traffic. Yesterday I saw two women wait until cross traffic went from red to green (literally could have crossed for 30-40 seconds but waited until traffic was supposed to move) and then threw up their hands when people honked and started to drive towards them. Same thing when I'm driving down a major 4 lane road and some guy just steps off the sidewalk to cross without even looking and gets indignant when there's cars coming at him.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Yeah, most don't seem to look too far past their own car - hence all the drivers that go "speeding" towards a line of cars stopped at a red light just ahead of them instead of slowing and letting others enter the road from the side (sometimes just to get to the opposite lanes)....or they just block the intersections/driveways.

I have a super mailbox across from my house. My front yard has enough curb to park a school bus with room for a couple of cars. People routinely park at the end of my drive and block me in. Most times I'm not leaving but on the few I have these drivers get puzzled, angry then irate when I ask them to move. I look at it as an IQ test on par with masked solo driving.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 11:00 AM
I've dated a few women who couldn't modulate speed. Pedal down, accelerate, lift off pedal and coast. The really hot nurse from years back was extreme. I suggested modulating gas, she said she does, as my head bobbed forward and back. She couldn't figure out why she had so many car maintenance problems. Good thing she was hot. More recently was less extreme but teaching cruise control was a revelation. I resorted to doing all the driving. Retaining maximum good mood resulted in happier endings.

1BAD92LX
10-05-2023, 11:01 AM
The I have to be in front of you complex just to go the same speed as you. especially when towing a trailer.
Yes, please cut me off. It’s so fricken irritating.

On two lane hwy when there is a passing lane coming up. People speed up. So you have to pass them at 120. Cause you know they are going to slow down again whem it’s back to two lane.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 11:02 AM
People stopping for geese, especially on 3 lane highways is suicide. Those fuckers have wings, nuff said.

1BAD92LX
10-05-2023, 11:15 AM
Stopping when merging onto the bypass in town here.

redo75
10-05-2023, 04:44 PM
What are your feelings toward people leaving their shopping carts anywhere in Costco's aisles to look / sample foods / read text on packages?
Now a days, I do more trips down at Costco that the 400 highways so I am more irate about their customers.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 05:40 PM
What are your feelings toward people leaving their shopping carts anywhere in Costco's aisles to look / sample foods / read text on packages?
Now a days, I do more trips down at Costco that the 400 highways so I am more irate about their customers.

Costco is Walmart for more affluent people.

I get more road rage in Costco than on the streets. Walking beside the cart, traffic jams at the sample tables, sideways buggies in 3 wide aisles. I had one guy with his hands not on the push handle, but on the sides of the buggy crowding an aisle. I basically scraped the rack and still hit his hand with my cart. Tough shit idiot.

LX89
10-05-2023, 09:11 PM
Notice how many pedestrians are getting hit on pretty much a daily basis and a lot of the time more than one per day.

It's stunning how many people don't look both ways when crossing a road/street/path/trail.
Even when I ride my bike I've had countless people and kids walk in front of me without looking.

When I was a kid in the early public school grades the police would come into the school and teach us road safety.
I think the program was called Elmer The Safety Elephant.

It worked.
I always look both ways before crossing a street/road,etc and I don't start crossing until all vehicles have stopped.It's like an automatic reaction,every time.

I don't know if they still do this in schools but if they don't they should.
If you have kids drill it into their head what I just said,it might save their life or prevent them from being seriously injured.

92redragtop
10-05-2023, 09:46 PM
Notice how many pedestrians are getting hit on pretty much a daily basis and a lot of the time more than one per day.

It's stunning how many people don't look both ways when crossing a road/street/path/trail.
Even when I ride my bike I've had countless people and kids walk in front of me without looking.

When I was a kid in the early public school grades the police would come into the school and teach us road safety.
I think the program was called Elmer The Safety Elephant.

It worked.
I always look both ways before crossing a street/road,etc and I don't start crossing until all vehicles have stopped.It's like an automatic reaction,every time.

I don't know if they still do this in schools but if they don't they should.
If you have kids drill it into their head what I just said,it might save their life or prevent them from being seriously injured.

"Smart" Phones......this is the real 5G de-population strategy.

ChickenLips
10-05-2023, 10:29 PM
while no one wants to die, greater longevity is a drain on society.

just as no one diet strategy is the only successful strategy, more than one strategy can be used for any agenda.

True Blue
10-06-2023, 08:12 AM

Basic common sense, make eye contact before crossing. I've encountered many pedestrians crossing the road or parking lots without even turning their head to acknowledge if I'm going to stop.

Stephen06GT
10-09-2023, 09:00 AM

ZR
10-09-2023, 05:14 PM
What do all of the above complaints have in common??? Easily addressed if the powers to be enforced the laws long since on the books and cleaned this flippin mess up.

Frankie
10-11-2023, 10:30 AM
Trying to get onto Hwy 6 after visiting my folks and everyone is parked in the right lane.

Wide open space in the left lane, you think any of them would move over so I can get on the hwy?
So frustrating.

ChickenLips
10-11-2023, 11:30 AM
What do all of the above complaints have in common??? Easily addressed if the powers to be enforced the laws long since on the books and cleaned this flippin mess up.

Take to social media and raise public outrage. Either that or make enforcement financially attractive to the leadership class

ChickenLips
10-11-2023, 11:31 AM
Trying to get onto Hwy 6 after visiting my folks and everyone is parked in the right lane.

Wide open space in the left lane, you think any of them would move over so I can get on the hwy?
So frustrating.

The power of sheep behaviours is unbeatable. Safety in numbers is a feature, not a bug (but no guarantee of being the right thing to do)

Scrape
10-12-2023, 11:38 AM
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=488663&stc=1&d=1298301576