PDA

View Full Version : Mean Machine Diet

MEANMCHN
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
After being happy with how the car has been running I've started replacing/removing things to lose weight in the car and also keep it live able.

In the interior I've removed the cd/tape head unit (which died any way), the Mach 460 sound system, power seats etc. All of that totaled about 70lbs, the power leather seats were by far the heaviest replacement item. After looking at some of the race cars I noticed none of them use a liquid based battery, instead opting for the glass mat battery from Braille. It was a bit of an experiment as Braille has a 6.6lb, 12, 13, 22, 26, etc., weight battery. Keeping in mind I don't have a stereo (the exhaust is so loud that listening to that shitty old Mach 460 try to overpower it was useless), I opted for the 6.6lb Braille lightweight race duty AGM battery. Turns out it works perfect, car starts great, power windows work great when the car is just in the on position as well. A friend who rallies his Subaru had a standard battery leak and it makes a fucking mess so the dry cell seemed like a perfect solution. I also don't want to go so far as to remove any of the interior panels though, especially the rear seat as at first glance the inside of the car looks fairly stock (minus the harnesses, race seats, etc).

The next piece I had reworked was the intercooler piping, originally mild steel with shitty welds I had it made out of aluminum, as well as a custom intake pipe for the supercharger while they were at it. The new intercooler piping has 4 couplings on it instead of about 10 prior as Matt welded all of it instead of relying on couplings. It also seems that the old piping had some pinholes in it at the welds so I'm now making 12psi of boost instead of 10psi. Weighed out the new intercooler piping being thinner aluminum and a huge lack of couplers saved about 11lbs, tweaked the exhaust for a 24lb weight loss and went from a 52lb battery to a 6.6lb version. So in 3 days the car has lost about another 80lbs, Jenny Craig would be proud.

Here are some pics.

New IC Piping:
*The scoop comes off on the track and is just for looks, gotta look reasonable.

New Braille battery at old Motorcraft version:

Braille battery in battery box:
*The battery doesn't have to be vented but I left the pipe in there anyhow. I clamped it down with the old battery's clamp but the Braille is so light that the gauge of the cables make it almost impossible to move it laterally by hand.

ybaslo1
09-06-2014, 02:13 PM
that battery in that box reminds of the old "Where's the beef commercials"

TheMustangShow
09-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Those BATTS are trick!

99chromegt
09-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Nicely done. I have decided to remove the sub box and big amps for good too. I'd rather listen to the cams & exhaust. No one ever uses the back seat so that's coming out. Still haven't done the battery relocate and on the fence with the A/C delete. What K member do you have ?

MEANMCHN
09-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Nicely done. I have decided to remove the sub box and big amps for good too. I'd rather listen to the cams & exhaust. No one ever uses the back seat so that's coming out. Still haven't done the battery relocate and on the fence with the A/C delete. What K member do you have ?

Honestly, if you're doing away with the big sound system I wouldn't even bother with a battery relocation, just get one of the Braille batteries and put it in place of the stock one.

I'm just using the stock k-member, I won't change that until the motor dies. If/when I do the K-Member I'm going to go with the Kenny Brown one, it looks strong and doesn't need any secondary bracing.

shakin
09-06-2014, 10:32 PM
You could jettison the battery box, unless that's a race requirement?

MEANMCHN
09-06-2014, 11:29 PM
You could jettison the battery box, unless that's a race requirement?

No, it's not a requirement to have one. Most of the race cars have them strapped down without the battery box. But in my case it's already there and it's aluminum so it barely weighs 1lb so at this point I'm just going to leave it.

tulowd
09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
love the diet; 80 lbs is a lot, especially since some of it is over the front wheels. Way to go!

the farmer
09-07-2014, 10:10 AM
...what did that battery set you back?

MEANMCHN
09-07-2014, 10:39 AM
...what did that battery set you back?

About $205 by the time I got it here.

From Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Battery/147/B106/10002/-1?parentProductId=763922

the farmer
09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
.....thanx:ford:

99chromegt
09-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Pretty good price.

MEANMCHN
09-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Ya, it's cheap considering how much weight is saved.