PDA

View Full Version : 99 GT Tech Questions: WOT Box Or Other?

99chromegt
09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Curious to know who is using a WOT box out there. I looked it up on line and found some info on it. I like the 2 stage limiter & no lift shifting options. What do you guys think the best option for having these functions are? Drag racing application on a street car. Is installation difficult? I believe some of these functions can be directly programmed into my custom tune without needing a WOT box. The addition of nitrous is also a consideration and needs to be factored in. Any thoughts?
Should I not bother with this and just use a shift light only?
Combo I'm thinking:
WOT Box
RAPTOR 2 Stage Shift Light
Zex Wet Kit 100 Shot with supporting mods
Drag Slick
Also who sells WOT boxes?
What drag slick is good & who sells them? Currently using MT ET Streets.
Thanks
Andrew

Laffs
09-16-2014, 10:11 AM
http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox with http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox/nitrous would probably be what you are looking for.

IMO, I think its overkill for your application, that said I thought Heinz ran one on the Red Shelby, idk.

Slicks: Mickey Thompson, Hoosier, M&H are all reputable brands.

MEANMCHN
09-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I know you can have the 2-step programmed into your superchip if that's what you're using.

However I don't think it's really necessary since your right foot can do the same thing. I guess if you were bracket racing it would be good or were at the point where you were consistent down to the 10th it would be smart.

I would probably opt for drag radials on your current setup, IMO a set of full slicks will slow you down. I've personally found that I'm about 0.2-0.3 slower on a set of slicks, sure I shave of 0.1 in the 60' but it hurts my MPH. I only make between 380-400 depending on the dyno, conditions, etc.

Best I've ever run were on Nitto Drag Radials, 305 width at 24psi cold.

99chromegt
09-16-2014, 11:29 AM
My thinking behind the WOT BOX was to take the guess work out of it. After all an inexpensive mod for $200. I'm going to keep it old school foot, eye & brain action to keep it challenging for now lol. My setup isn't complicated or high HP.... I'm just paranoid after breaking the new 31 spline axle. I did just order my 2 stage Mini Raptor shift light. I will get Diago to program the launch mode RPM into my tune.

TurboFox
09-16-2014, 12:25 PM
I would probably opt for drag radials on your current setup, IMO a set of full slicks will slow you down.

Not good advice.

Drag radial on a stick car is asking for trouble

MEANMCHN
09-16-2014, 12:44 PM
My thinking behind the WOT BOX was to take the guess work out of it. After all an inexpensive mod for $200. I'm going to keep it old school foot, eye & brain action to keep it challenging for now lol. My setup isn't complicated or high HP.... I'm just paranoid after breaking the new 31 spline axle. I did just order my 2 stage Mini Raptor shift light. I will get Diago to program the launch mode RPM into my tune.

Drag radials might also be cheaper in the axle department :) There is also a 275 width drag radial class that would be good for your setup, lots of guys running some amazing times on them.

Slicks are optimal, don't get me wrong, it's just a lot cheaper to spin tires than snap an axle/hurt a clutch/whatever. Especially as you're learning, I found slicks really unstable at the top end and I hate that feeling. Call me a pussy ha ha, I don't like walls, I'm allergic to them.

As for the 2 step, depending on your chip you can have the 2-step programmed, but if I remember correctly you had to choose the rpm and it was set. From experience my launch rpm changes from 1900-2600 depending on the temperature.

Intmdtr
09-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Not good advice.

Drag radial on a stick car is asking for trouble

Drag radial on a IRS stick car is trouble.

In all honesty though i think you are fine with the ET Streets you have now seen as they do have a bit of a softer side wall. I would invest the money in a better axle...as stated TEN hasn't given me the warm and fuzzy for a while now. Some Strange or Mosier axles would be a superior upgrade, and if you don't have them now some 3" ARP wheel studs too.

Intmdtr
09-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I found slicks really unstable at the top end and I hate that feeling. Call me a pussy ha ha,

OK!!!

I wouldn't call a slick unstable in the least. Its the person behind the wheel that gets unstable when they feel the rear end starting to dance around.

WHRDUGO
09-16-2014, 01:51 PM
I have a wot box. Nice simple piece to use and install. Programming is quick and painless. Mine has the shift light as well as nitrous controls. What they don't mention o's the anti theft feature when you remove the box the car will not start. I remove mine over the winter seasons.

Perfect rpms at launch everytime and for me I built boost on the line that helps with the 60 ft. No lift is trick at first if you move your feet around cause when you find the pedal it trips it. I need to hack the switch off a tad

Ray721
09-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Did you only have slicks in the rear? I'm hearing that makes for an "interesting" ride. Add front runners and it's much more predictable.

MEANMCHN
09-16-2014, 02:08 PM
ET Streets only in the rear, shifts felt weird too, just the whole ass end wandering around like Iggy in Work.

mazzon
09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
I have a 05GT
LTs, x pipe, frpp intake manifold, frpp hot rod cams, 4.56 gears, zex 100 shot, msd shift light. 28x12.5 M/T et street

Never had an issue with that set up, car hits 6600rpm REAL fast, but not to fast to the point you dont know whats going on.
If you are scared the nitrous is going to make it completely different, it really isnt. You hardly notice it, it definitely pulls harder but nothing like how they make it seem in the movies.

Take it slow and you will be fine

99chromegt
09-16-2014, 04:46 PM
^^ thanks for the input. What kind of hp & times does you setup yield?

Slope
09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm going to keep it old school foot, eye & brain action

Like.