PDA

View Full Version : First time installing piston rings.... have a question...

86 t-tops
09-22-2014, 10:18 AM
So I worked through the right side of the block (facing to the front of the block) following the gap location instructions from the ring manufacturer. This is my first time doing this...

Now I'm moving onto the left side and had a quick thought after installing one piston. I was only provided one example for the gap locations and nothing indicates that you flip or mirror the gaps.

In other words, if I follow the one example provided using the top ring gap as a reference point, the top ring gap will be closer to the lifter valley on one side of the block and further away from the lifter valley on the other side of the block.

Is this right? Just wondering... again I've never done this before.

Thanks

86 t-tops
09-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Here's a link to the same instructions I have... only one gap set-up provided. If I follow it for both sides the top ring gap will be closer to the lifter valley on one side and further from it on the other. If this is normal please let me know...

http://www.2carpros.com/images/articles/original/engine_piston_ring_installation_instructions.jpg

thanks

B-blown
09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Here's a link to the same instructions I have... only one gap set-up provided. If I follow it for both sides the top ring gap will be closer to the lifter valley on one side and further from it on the other. If this is normal please let me know...

http://www.2carpros.com/images/articles/original/engine_piston_ring_installation_instructions.jpg

thanks

remember *mirrored* means same but backwards ...so if top ring is facing the valley on left side it will be facing oil gallery on right side and if bottom oil ring gap is at for example 2 o`clock it should be 10 o`clock on other side ...if that makes any sense LOL

86 t-tops
09-22-2014, 07:48 PM
remember *mirrored* means same but backwards ...so if top ring is facing the valley on left side it will be facing oil gallery on right side and if bottom oil ring gap is at for example 2 o`clock it should be 10 o`clock on other side ...if that makes any sense LOL

I think if it was mirrored down the middle of the block with the top ring gap close to the valley on one side the reflection would show the top ring gap close to the valley as well... No? Or am I just losing it?

I've just been told that the rings will move during operation so I'll just do the gaps as per the instructions even though they will be in opposite locations on the pistons on each side of the block... If you follow me... Not sure if I do... Lol

Thanks

Tailites
09-22-2014, 09:13 PM

brian...we both know the rings move around...he just needs to stagger them

B-blown
09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
brian...we both know the rings move around...he just needs to stagger them

I know they move but when someone wants to follow the manufacturers directions for the first time I tried to answer his question accordingly ...thats all

EDIT: when I typed oil gallery I meant the valley ...Am very tired and getting got messed up

86 t-tops
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys. I hear you about being tired...