PDA

View Full Version : Got engine wet, now it won't idle properly

Slick_89_Hatch
09-23-2014, 08:52 PM
So....against my better judgement I decided to give my engine a light cleaning. I just wet the engine compartment very lightly with a garden hose on the shower setting and then wiped it down. Now, it idles around 4-500rpm and will stall at times.

Now, I cleaned the engine last year after oil got all over it and it did the same thing, but last time I used alot of water and it took over a week to run right. I figured this time, since I am using such little water that it would be ok. I drove the car quite a bit tonight and it's not any better.
The distributor was covered with the factory rubber boot when I cleaned it.

It is an 89 with HCI and a Vortech V1 on it. What can be getting wet that is not drying out and causing the car to run so poorly?
Once im driving, it seems fine, no miss, no studder no nothing. Starts pretty good as well, just won't idle properly.
Are they any common parts that when exposed to water could cause this?

USAWIT2
09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Did you cover the salt n pepper shakers when u sprayed it? Might be worth taking apart and drying them off with compressed air

Slick_89_Hatch
09-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I didn't, do they act up when wet?

ZR
09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Start with the dist cap, most common spot.

jibbijib
09-23-2014, 10:26 PM
My car stutters and such when I go through the car wash, but then it idles fine after I drive it.

Take the boot off the dizzy and blow that off with compressed air, and do the s&p shakers. On these older engines there's more gaps for moisture to get into the electrical connections. What I would suggest when cleaning your engine bay is to do it cold, and use compressed air to dry it all off, that way the moisture doesn't have a chance to oxidize anything.

Hopefully this helps.

4eyes4us
09-23-2014, 10:31 PM
If the above don't fix it try the top of coil where the wires go in, unplug it and dry it out.

NickD
09-23-2014, 11:36 PM
come over tomorrow and borrow my leaf blower to dry it out (I bought a dedicated one to use for cleaning the car)

Slick_89_Hatch
09-24-2014, 09:06 AM
I have an air compressor at home so im good to go, thanks for the offer Nick!

jibbijib
09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Might be an opportune time to breakout the dielectric grease and sock it to all the plug connections. I should do that too.

swalt
09-25-2014, 10:45 AM
The moisture is sitting in one of the sensors or cap if it took a week for it to clear last time. The heat from the engine running alone should be good enough to dry anything out after 45 minutes, so I suspect if the cap is not the culprit which is what I would go to first, you have water getting into a sensor like an IAC/TPS/MAF and because the sensor is basically sealed, it is taking longer for it to dry out. If the problem corrects itself again, your best bet might be to get some electrical silicone spray sealant for wires and distributor caps. Canadian Tire carried it years ago. Spray the cap body and the external sensor bodies. You just want to keep the moisture out of them going forward. If they don't have the spray, get a tube of silicone and run it around the body of each sensor lightly with your finger to seal the plastic body.

Stephen06GT
09-25-2014, 11:05 AM
The moisture is sitting in one of the sensors or cap if it took a week for it to clear last time. The heat from the engine running alone should be good enough to dry anything out after 45 minutes, so I suspect if the cap is not the culprit which is what I would go to first, you have water getting into a sensor like an IAC/TPS/MAF and because the sensor is basically sealed, it is taking longer for it to dry out. If the problem corrects itself again, your best bet might be to get some electrical silicone spray sealant for wires and distributor caps. Canadian Tire carried it years ago. Spray the cap body and the external sensor bodies. You just want to keep the moisture out of them going forward...

A long time ago, I used WD-40 for a similar situation.

Intmdtr
09-25-2014, 12:09 PM
WD40 works good initially, but will not last.

ZR
09-25-2014, 12:47 PM
If you pop the cap off and dont see moisture, unclip the lower portion / adapter and blow it dry. May look dry but once you fire it up, dizzy spits water up and onto the lower side of the cap.

B-blown
09-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I had something similar happen last summer except it was rain that caused my issue ,,,, my K&N filter got waterlogged after a heavy downpour didn`t run worth crap until I started checking and pulled filter off

Slick_89_Hatch
09-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Ugh....ive pulled every connector cleaned them and no luck. I will take off the lower piece on the dizzy and check that out though. I spray my engine with silicone spray a couple times a year to make it shiney..lol...but to protect wires etc from moisture as well. I'm going to fool around with it again today and see what happens. As for the filter and MAF, they are behind the apron in the fender and that area didn't get wet...i'm really at a loss.

Slick_89_Hatch
09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Got the car running fairly normal...idle is still a bit low...looks like either TPS or the IAC connector. I played with both at the same time.

jibbijib
09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
I would take the IAC off and give it a nice little cleaning, and make sure the connections aren't corroded. The TPS could probably use the same treatment for the electrical connection. Make sure it's set between the .97 & .99 volts so it's happy and go from there. Is the MAP sensor original with the car?

ZR
09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
So reset base idle + tps and see how it responds.

svo1990mustang
09-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Make sure it's set between the .97 & .99 volts so it's happy and go from there.

Just a little addendum TPS should be set to ~.99v @ closed throttle and ~4.7v @ wide open throttle.

ZR
09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Did TPS / idle reset help?

Slick_89_Hatch
09-30-2014, 08:29 AM
I didnt reset, but once I cleaned the TPS connection a second time and closed in the terminals on the IAC terminal for a better connection the car went back to normal, if anything, it runs better than it did before. TPS is set to .99 with the throttle closed.

Thanks guys!

ZR
09-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Great news.

allicedout
09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
This could have all been avoided if you had just traded in the Fox for a Coyote like I know you want too!! Glad she's running smooth again. On a side note I let your cousin take my Coyote for a boot at the Friday night meet......... I think I sold him on it!!

Slick_89_Hatch
09-30-2014, 09:01 AM
This could have all been avoided if you had just traded in the Fox for a Coyote like I know you want too!! Glad she's running smooth again. On a side note I let your cousin take my Coyote for a boot at the Friday night meet......... I think I sold him on it!!

LOL.....now that i have a few different issues sorted out and it actually runs down the drag strip like it should i'd never consider getting rid of her for a Coyote....Hem...you know you want to give in and get a fox!!!!!

And yeah, he is sold on it, but hasn't sold his car!

jibbijib
09-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Can't knock a fox. Especially a red one!

Good you got it sorted out Norm! Hopfully its still warm enough for the next ebwnim meet and you can bring it out! You too Hem!