PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on 2002 vert suspension upgrade

Clutt gt
10-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Ok here's the scoop
I bought my 02 gt vert with 10,000 km a while back. 6 years later it has 40,000km.
When I bought it I lowered it by swapping in the pro kit springs.
Bbk strut bar and some 18" foose wheels
That's it.
Now looking for a better handling package. The car needs tires and a front end alignment.
Shock ate feeling pretty soft as well.

So is this the way to go? its a lot of coin but has good reviews
Road and track box
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/2002-04-Mustang-GT-convertible-Road-Track-Box-P1066.aspx

Or would this do just fine? It's cheaper but I want the car to handle surprisingly well.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1999-04-GT-convertible-Sport-Box-P965.aspx

Also keep in mind I'm not a track guy I'm a cruiser. Just want the car to feel like a true sports car.
I also don't daily drive this car in fact I barely drive this car. I just want it to impress me when I do.

Thanks in advance

Stephen06GT
10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Full length SFCs should be the first things on your list. No use in upgrading the suspension until you get the chassis sorted out.

Clutt gt
10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Both of those kits have sfc in them.
As far as I can see the biggest diference is the road and track kit has rear lower control arms added.

RedSN
10-26-2014, 10:55 PM
If you've got stock LCAs, and you've got the budget for the Road and Track package, I would go for that. The MM LCAs are really good upgrade.

Rich-C
10-26-2014, 10:58 PM
If you have the $ go for the bigger one. There's lots of extra goodies there. Plus the better shocks/struts are worth it.

Intmdtr
10-26-2014, 11:26 PM
The road and track kit may be a little too much, my buddy put it into his 03 and I liked the ride, but lots of people didn't, said it was too harsh on the street.

99chromegt
10-27-2014, 08:08 AM
If you are not a track guy and don't drive it much why not just install full length SFC, new Bilsten shocks & struts, MM CC plates and bumpsteer kit. Add in new bushings if they have gone brittle from sitting. Like Intmdtr posted the full kit might be over kill for a street cruiser making the suspension too tight or hard.

ZR
10-27-2014, 08:10 AM
More expensive option comes with their premium SFC's + lower control arms, well worth the extra cost. Once installed, you'll be pissed you didn't spend the money sooner. Suspect you'll come away looking for spots better suited to spirited driving.

HyperGT
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Go with the R&T box and add a Tq arm. It is exactly what i am doing with my vert as well. Might see the odd track day, mostly nice winding roads.

RedSN
10-27-2014, 12:50 PM
^^^you go that far...and coil-overs are next on your shopping list ;)

HyperGT
10-27-2014, 03:44 PM
I know, I thought about the max grip box...but realized my vert really is not ideal for a track car, so i just want to build a nice street car with great handling. I am hoping to get a more track oriented car in the future.

^^^you go that far...and coil-overs are next on your shopping list ;)

Slick_89_Hatch
10-27-2014, 04:20 PM
I would do the R&T kit...car will be a new ride....BUT....while you're there....I would swap the front to a coil over set up...will greatly improve impact harshness in the front end which IMO is really what ruins the ride on a Fox based Stang.