PDA

View Full Version : Review for Raptor Shift Lght in S197

Mrods
12-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Picked this up on line for $105 delivered a few weeks ago. I tried out "Stang Mods" vs. American Muscle. Took longer to get the product, but shipping was free to Canada, which is rare.

Just installed and tested before the weather turn worst and I garage the car for the winter.

Overall, it was easy to install right above the steering column in the instrument cluster. Ran the wire down back and to the clutch side where the main wiring exits through the fire wall. Connected green and red to the coil (green and red), black to a ground source and it worked perfectly.

Settings are easy enough with small dials to select 1000's RPM and another for 100's. Did my road test and it is bright as hell at night. So day time, I have no doubt it will be highly visible.

So if you are looking for an inexpensive shift light, this one seems to do the job.

99chromegt
12-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the review. I picked up the two step one a few months ago but haven't installed it. I'm looking forward to using it. I like your list of mods on your sig. Looks like a nice setup you have.

NickD
12-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Mark, how ya been bud,
I think I want one of these next year for the track, that place has great prices (beat AM on some bmr stuff I am looking at) and the free shipping is killer.
Nick

ZR
12-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Have one in my own ride. Easy install and works well. Did however mount it off to the left just below the two gauge A pillar pod (just clears factory tweater). Idea was to keep it easy enough to see but not directly in my face.

Similar to this but has difuser cap in place to further tone down (not a picture of my actual car but similar set up)

http://www.harlan-engineering.com/store/shiftlight/pics/gauges1.jpg

Annoying as hell when mounted dead center (previous owner had mounted, suited him)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0255/2163/files/Mustang_03Cobra1.jpg?808

Mrods
12-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Ya a side mount makes sense. It is a tad brighter than I expected. Sort of blinding at night actually. I'll just need to wear my sunglasses at night. Hey, I should make that into the one song that will allow me to retire.

ZR
12-09-2014, 04:28 AM
First spot for mine was dead center, moved after the first night time cruise. Perifiral vision picks it up mint during the day but no longer a PITA when it's dark out.

QWKRN-U
12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
The two stage is a must if you drag race your car even once a year. I love mine, it helped me get damn near into the 12's with a few bolt ons and slicks. Way easier to drive and much more consistent. I leave the cap on all the time and its still plenty bright enough.

Intmdtr
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I am mounting mine in the center heat vent....if it's too bright...close the vent some more.

ZR
12-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Running a cap on mine as well.

Slope
12-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Perifiral vision

Heh.

That was awesome LOL.

ZR
12-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Saw what you did with my peripheral vision.

Speedtospare
12-09-2014, 08:04 PM
I have the same one in my Modfox. Mine points at my chest and I have no need for a cap. Works well.

Blackmare
12-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Have mine mounted on a SOS pillar pod. Works really well and prefer it off to the side. Like many have mentioned, have the cap on mine all the time as well.

Scott
12-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Mark, how ya been bud,
I think I want one of these next year for the track, that place has great prices (beat AM on some bmr stuff I am looking at) and the free shipping is killer.
Nick

Nick, just checked out Stang Mods, but I only see free shipping to the lower 48 states. How do you get free shipping to Canada?

NickD
12-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Nick, just checked out Stang Mods, but I only see free shipping to the lower 48 states. How do you get free shipping to Canada?
tried adding the light to my cart went to check out and it had a shipping estimator, added my info and it came up free, added a bmr k-member went to cart and refreshed still free, deleted items incase it was just the light causing free shipping, added just the k member and it said they would ship free, pretty awesome if it does work. If not I have a US address I send stuff too.

newbiestangowner
12-12-2014, 05:04 PM
tried adding the light to my cart went to check out and it had a shipping estimator, added my info and it came up free, added a bmr k-member went to cart and refreshed still free, deleted items incase it was just the light causing free shipping, added just the k member and it said they would ship free, pretty awesome if it does work. If not I have a US address I send stuff too.

I tried the same- said free shipping but when I scrolled down further it said that since it was an international order it gave me a 1 800 number to call and get a quote on shipping costs.

ZR
12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Anyone check into local pricing?

Intmdtr
12-12-2014, 08:20 PM
group buy?

allicedout
12-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Did you pay any duty on it? Just checked out there website. Curious what additional charges will be added when parts arrive.

99chromegt
12-12-2014, 09:06 PM
I think mine 2 stage raptor cost $180 after exchange & shipping purchased from Raptor Preformance. Not sure if anyone local has these lights. It came in a small bubble wrap envelope through the USPS and I wasn't charged duty. It did take over two weeks to get.

QWKRN-U
12-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I bought mine from CJ Pony parts on a free shipping to Canada sale, took awhile to get it from them too because they had no stock on it. I forget what I paid but I think it was around $180 as well.

Not4you
12-13-2014, 12:32 AM
the gauge pod I picked up this summer has a bracket for the mini raptor. I need to buy one over the winter.