PDA

View Full Version : SVT cobra brakes/rim fitment question

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 02:31 PM
How much space would be required between the top of the caliper and the inside of the wheel? are there certain 17's that shouldnt be used? I am assuming that with the way these PBR calipers are designed that even with new pads and pins, there may be a slight bit of movement of the caliper when the brakes are engaged? maybe im wrong but you'd think with manufacturing, that these parts arent 100% perfect. i can slide a piece of white computer paper through the wheel but it slightly drags on the caliper. its SOOOOOO crazy close...thoughts???

Slick_89_Hatch
12-17-2014, 04:09 PM
To my understanding, pretty much any 17" rim should clear Cobra brakes. What rims are you running?

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
ROH ZS ....im doing a brake job on it but as it stands when you press the brake pedal you can hear the caliper hit the wheel, and you can see on the inside of it where it has touched. I just dont see a good set of pad making the difference for it not hitting unless quality stuff really tightens stuff up. I read on the Corral that you have to shave the fins off the caliper to allow clearance. I mean sure you can make it clear but it doesnt even look like a credit card would fit in there.

RedSN
12-17-2014, 09:07 PM
No problem fitting 17" Cobra R's over the PBR Cobra brakes, there's a good 1/4" or more clear.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/imagejpg1_zps605ba1d8.jpg

You didn't have any problems before the new pads were installed?

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 10:50 PM
the inside of the ROH there has a raised portion inside, however i removed the wheels and it had touch previously but it wasnt as bad as i thought.
I also switched over to my 18" rims and went for a drive and it still clunks hard so its not the wheels

I am replacing rotors and pads tomorrow so i started to look over all the new parts and i noticed that not all 4 front pads are the same. At a quick glance there are but 2 have wear tab/ Squealers and 2 did not. I also noticed that 2 pads have different shaped end where they sit down inside the caliper bracket. It would appear to me that the front cobra brakes have specific inboard and outboard pads, that need to be installed in the correct spot and it appears to me that the current setup has 2 inboard pads on one side and 2 outboard pads on the other.

Which leaves me to my next question. Which pads are inboard and which are outboard and the calipers mount so that the retaining pins are closer to the ground as instructed by Dr. ZR

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 11:13 PM

See how the top 2 pads have different ends then the other 2 where it fit into the bracket.

ZR
12-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Pads with the dual round spring clips / retainers go on the outside, clip into the caliper.
Does rattle disappear if you keep your foot on the brake just a tic or three?
See a large number missing those spring clips I'd told you about.

ZR
12-17-2014, 11:28 PM
You can see em in this pic.

http://www.mikefordmustang.com/writeups/front-brakes/1006_files/image012.jpg

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Pads with the dual round spring clips / retainers go on the outside, clip into the caliper.
Does rattle disappear if you keep your foot on the brake just a tic or three?
See a large number missing those spring clips I'd told you about.

yes it goes away if you keep the brake pressed with moderate pressure on the brake...the rotors are warped which isnt making it feel any better but the clunk is just nasty.

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 11:32 PM
they currently have the clips on them but not with rubber built into them

95GT_VERT
12-17-2014, 11:34 PM
I know that but see in the picture how the end that sit inside the bracket, 2 are different then the other 2.

The caliper brackets are not different shaped from the inside to the outside so i dont see why these pads are that way.

ZR
12-17-2014, 11:35 PM
OEM with rubber is preferred but non work ok as well.
Key is if they have enough tension to keep the pads / caliper in place.

tulowd
12-18-2014, 05:50 PM
How much space would be required between the top of the caliper and the inside of the wheel? are there certain 17's that shouldnt be used? I am assuming that with the way these PBR calipers are designed that even with new pads and pins, there may be a slight bit of movement of the caliper when the brakes are engaged? maybe im wrong but you'd think with manufacturing, that these parts arent 100% perfect. i can slide a piece of white computer paper through the wheel but it slightly drags on the caliper. its SOOOOOO crazy close...thoughts???

you need some clearance space for sure, and not all 17" wheels are going to fit over 13" brakes. The rash of the latest cheap, fat as phuck cast wheels are going to be all over the map in terms of thickness and where they sit. Anything less than a 1/4" of clearance isn't ideal, that's for sure. The caliper does slide and has some radial play, Im sure there is also some expansion/contraction from the heat etc.

Are you sure the calipers are installed correctly ( bleeder screw on top, pad retaining pin in correct location - bottom)?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg582/tulowd/87%20Vert%20TU%20LOWD2/MMssfrontbrakehose1.jpg

Sounds almost like the retaining bolts are loose or the pads are walking in the caliper mounting frame).
Pads should also have small chamfer on leading edges, to ensure they contact the disc surface flat and true. If the problem is that bad, can you spin the wheel freely and hear the noise when the nose is in the air?

95GT_VERT
12-18-2014, 08:57 PM
you need some clearance space for sure, and not all 17" wheels are going to fit over 13" brakes. The rash of the latest cheap, fat as phuck cast wheels are going to be all over the map in terms of thickness and where they sit. Anything less than a 1/4" of clearance isn't ideal, that's for sure. The caliper does slide and has some radial play, Im sure there is also some expansion/contraction from the heat etc.

Are you sure the calipers are installed correctly ( bleeder screw on top, pad retaining pin in correct location - bottom)?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg582/tulowd/87%20Vert%20TU%20LOWD2/MMssfrontbrakehose1.jpg

Sounds almost like the retaining bolts are loose or the pads are walking in the caliper mounting frame).
Pads should also have small chamfer on leading edges, to ensure they contact the disc surface flat and true. If the problem is that bad, can you spin the wheel freely and hear the noise when the nose is in the air?

Calipers are installed INCORRECT, currently working on fixing it.

95GT_VERT
12-18-2014, 10:12 PM
New pads and rotors and switched the caliper brackets around and she's all good to go now :)

ZR
12-19-2014, 12:04 AM
So pins were at the top?
Now that could have ended badly.

95GT_VERT
12-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Yes, the pad retaining pin was on the top side.

Where can we find the hardware kits for these brakes? i'd like the replace the pins and E clips?

ZR
12-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Unless the pins are bent damaged, replace the clips and your golden (if they fit snug, good to go on them as well).
Suspect you'll need to try Ford, not sure.

ZR
12-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Try American Muscle.

tulowd
12-19-2014, 10:47 AM
New pads and rotors and switched the caliper brackets around and she's all good to go now :)

I'll be looking for my thank you note and Christmas present when I get home. :thumbsup:

RedSN
12-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Calipers are installed INCORRECT, currently working on fixing it.

Callipers installed upside down?
Been there, done that. It's a bitch to try and bleed the brakes with the bleeder on the bottom LOL.

95GT_VERT
12-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Ha ha ha yeah I suppose it would be eh .