PDA

View Full Version : Oil Accumulators - who's running one; experiences, etc

tulowd
01-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Been thinking about one of these or a Canton model - good explanation and video - any comments from those who have used one?

Not sure about the extra volume of oil if it drains back into the pan - that would be bad; but I guess that's what the valve is for?

Seems like a great idea for pre oiling prior to every start up as well as during drag/road course run and during cornering and hard shut downs, etc.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-how-the-moroso-oil-accumulator-protects-your-engine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaGoj60A6s&feature=player_embedded

ZR
01-01-2015, 02:18 PM
I've got a Moroso Paul, for sale if you need one.

G-ForceJunkie
01-01-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure why you'd ever consider one unless you have known (or suspected) oil pressure drops that a proper oil pan can't control.

ZR
01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Some peeps use em as a pre oiler before cold starts.

tulowd
01-01-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure why you'd ever consider one unless you have known (or suspected) oil pressure drops that a proper oil pan can't control.

Have a high end Canton road race pan with the baffles, trap door, oil slinger pouch and windage tray; HV oil pump, ARP shaft and Ford Racing oil cooler setup converted to AN-12 lines. Never seen any oil pressure fluctuation, even while 6000 rpm+ and/or thru long turns....

Some peeps use em as a pre oiler before cold starts.

Was thinking that, as well as some insurance/peace of mind - motor is starting to have some serious money in it......

Whitehot
01-02-2015, 07:28 AM
I ve heard bout this, I understood helps emensly on cold starts, lubin things up before ya actually turn the engin over,,, great idea...

tulowd
01-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Why not install an oil pressure safety shut-off switch in case of drop?

That would be too late as the rod and main bearings would already be wiped out by then, do have one that's going in, but its for shutting off the fuel pump.

B-blown
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM
They are also used for cars that roadrace and or autocross where in rare occasssions the pickup is uncovered ...we used one in a TQ Midget racecar and on more than one occasion it saved our motor

ZR
01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
If you have the room, no downside to using one, pretty cool unit.

B-blown
01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Have a high end Canton road race pan with the baffles, trap door, oil slinger pouch and windage tray; HV oil pump, ARP shaft and Ford Racing oil cooler setup converted to AN-12 lines. Never seen any oil pressure fluctuation, even while 6000 rpm+ and/or thru long turns....

Was thinking that, as well as some insurance/peace of mind - motor is starting to have some serious money in it......

its not the long sweepers that cause issues it would be a switchback turn or a tight *S* that would throw oil around and at high rpm the oil is not *all* in the pan ...some is still on the topend trying to get back to the pan

tulowd
01-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Do you have an engine oil cooler? forget all your details, too tired to find them...

look a couple of posts down, yes - have a Ford / long stacked plate cooler

its not the long sweepers that cause issues it would be a switchback turn or a tight *S* that would throw oil around and at high rpm the oil is not *all* in the pan ...some is still on the topend trying to get back to the pan

The Canton pan has diamond arranged trap door sump that holds about a quart of oil all around the pickup, no matter what. The long sweepers are the killer, because this rear sump can run dry because the remaining oil doesn't make it back thru the trap doors. A high volume pump and the big pickup and trapped oil is enough for small, hi Gload transitions or S turns, its the 10 sec of full throttle 6000 rpm with all the oil flying to the outside of the pan that has lunched many road course motors. Big reason for dry sumps.....which I cannot afford......at the moment, lol.