PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GT Rear wheels bearing replacement

Monera3v
01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I hope everyone had a good new year!

MY 05 gt has pretty much accumulated just around 50k's since I got it, currently sitting at 163 k's.
I notice a slight amount of play in the rear wheel when I shook it left and right during a wheel change.

I was wondering what the cost of having this replaced or recommend any mechanics to have this service done with peace of mind.
I already have the parts and fluids (ford racing bearing and seals and redline stuff)

So far Redline on Sheppard quoted me 600 + dollars... seem a bit steep or it may just be me.
Sorry for my poor English, still working on improving that!

Regards.

NickD
01-07-2015, 05:45 PM
A gentleman named Rick with the username ZR on here is a outstanding mechanic and I went to him this past summer with rear end issues and he was able to get me sorted. I have no doubt he could get you fixed up as well.
Hopefully he will chime in and can provide you with his contact info.

Screw
01-07-2015, 06:27 PM
2nd the vote

ZR
01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Do you mean play in and out? If so, nothing to worry about.
If it's play in the other direction, most likely a worn out axle but yes bearing would need replacement at the same time.
If your just doing wheel bearings and seals, should be under $300 lab.
As for axles, OEM only, gonna take some looking to find good used ones.

ZR
01-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Did a stroll through carpart.com, wrecker in Orillia show both a Left and Right in stock.

shakin
01-07-2015, 07:49 PM
A gentleman named Rick with the username ZR on here is a outstanding mechanic and I went to him this past summer with rear end issues and he was able to get me sorted. I have no doubt he could get you fixed up as well.
Hopefully he will chime in and can provide you with his contact info.

So, Rick helped you sort out your rear end issues... and was a gentleman.... hmmmmmm Hopefully all you needed was a lube job.

@monera96 -
All kidding aside, Rick's reputation is flawless and although I haven't personally used his services yet, I know of his work and spoken with many enthusiasts that have used his services and they all give him the two thumbs up and recommend him.
You'd be in great hands!

nichloasjerry1
01-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Let the mechanics do the work as they are used to this kind of work

Monera3v
01-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Let the mechanics do the work as they are used to this kind of work

lol, I had no intentions of doing this myself.

Most likely, the suggested mechanic above will be handling the surgery lol.

Stephen06GT
01-11-2015, 12:03 PM
You'll be in good hands with ZR and Ross. They did the bearings and seals and a new clutch a couple of months ago for Ol Paint. Exceptional work as always.

Ponyryd
01-11-2015, 01:47 PM
A small amount of play is normal, are you getting any fluid leaking or noises? As stated if it is a worn bearing you'll need to replace the axles as well, I agree that about $300 layout sounds right, $600 would be maybe the labour to replace the ring and pinion and carrier bearings. Best to take it in and have a pro look at it to see if they indeed need replacing.

tulowd
01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Rick is one of the only guys who I trust to work on my car. Might be worth letting him determine if it indeed needs anything. If it does, there is usually some decisions to be made based on future desires/plans for the car. ie) new, stronger axles vs used; new posi plates, new gears in long term plan, etc etc.
Better to do all this stuff at once than to take rear end apart 2 or 3 times.
Also, Rick fixed me up on leaky axle seals by insisting on the Ford OEM ones, not the ones in the Ford Racing kit.
The man knows his stuff; and he drinks coffee with milk, Ross prefers ice cappuccino.....just sayin, lol

allicedout
01-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I've said it before Shaun.... It doesn't get anymore Gangsta then Rick Ross.......
(X2 your in honest hands with R & R)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/1sykhatch/1262c28a673e040a19c6ae81968fd97d_zps86c06b87.jpg

ZR
01-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Got a kick out of that.
We've been in contact, arranging for his first day off.
thanks guys.