PDA

View Full Version : Pilot bearing or Throw out may be going, What to do?

Monera3v
01-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Hey everyone, looks like Monera is biting the dust for new car parts this winter.

Whenever I start the car they are 2 horrible noises that is coming from under the car ( Noise changes when clutch is pressed and released)

First noise is the starter motor starting to squeals when the car starts up.

2nd noise, not to sure what it is, but when I start it up it sound like metal on metal , the noise is only present when the clutch is pressed but goes away if I release it. I was told throwout bearing.

If this be the case, I know the transmission is going to get pulled to replace it, should I think of replacing anything in there?
Plans are to SC the car by April, cars currently sitting at 163k
clutch? flywheel? something to aid with the 400~ hq est power its going to be pushing?

Thanks for the information everyone!

99chromegt
01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Had the same annoying noise in the 99 with the cultch out. My TOB was shot & pilot bearing. While the transmission was out I replace those parts along with the rear main seal and clutch. Problem solved. So much better without that noise lol.

ZR
01-15-2015, 12:05 AM
The '05 up Mustang has a hydraulic release bearing. Basically a bearing on top of a hydraulic cylinder. If the trans needs to come out, prudent time to do the clutch unless it's got very low miles on it.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/mustangtuning/exedy-hydraulic-throwout-bearing-slave-cylinder-05-10-gt-v6-3.jpg

ZR
01-15-2015, 12:07 AM
As for clutch selection for supercharged, hard to go wrong with a Centerforce Dual Friction. Suggest OEM Ford release bearing only (price is gonna hurt though).

Laffs
01-16-2015, 10:59 AM
When I changed my clutch out last winter to a DFX clutch you suggested Centerforce TOB, any change as to why the reco on Ford? Seeing more issues with the Centerforce?

ZR
01-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Only suggest OEM for the '05 up.
Still seeing great results with CF bearing in the rest of em.

99chromegt
01-16-2015, 01:24 PM
^^ I took your advice ZR and used the CF TOB on the 99 & no complaints

ZR
01-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Best of the bunch.

Laffs
01-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Ah, I can breathe easier then. Mine was good for 800 kms of trouble free use last year.

ZR
01-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Yup, your good to go.

Monera3v
01-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Yup, your good to go.

So I should replace
Clutch,
Pilot bearing
Throwout slave cylinder

Anything else I should order?

ZR
01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Thats all the parts you should need. Unless it's been slipping (assume it hasn't been) flywheel will just need to be machined.

Monera3v
01-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Thats all the parts you should need. Unless it's been slipping (assume it hasn't been) flywheel will just need to be machined.

Sound good, just need time off work to get all this done!

Once again all the information is much appreciate, thank you for bearing with my poor english. I promise you my speech is much better! lol

ZR
01-17-2015, 05:55 PM
No problem.

allicedout
01-18-2015, 09:16 AM
thank you for bearing with my poor english. I promise you my speech is much better! lol

Famous words from every Montrealer out of Parc Ex! Hope everything works out.

ZR
01-18-2015, 03:07 PM
With the number we are starting to see fail (+ cost associated to replace), I'd stick with the tried n true cable.
Dual disc unit provides similar light pedal feel with exceptional holding power and durability.

ZR
01-18-2015, 04:31 PM
We've installed both, lean heavily towards the DYAD. Only downside, does chatter on x tra light pull away. If your the kinda driver that loads the engine against the clutch a bit, will be smooth as silk. No other downside, very progressive release with ultra light pedal pressure.
The McLeod, gotta mess with clutch ball ht plus some noise at idle with clutch pushed in. Given their total lack of tech support first time we installed one, would never buy another. Total lie n deny that the clutch pivot was our issue, figured it out via Google search. Called back with new info, now they conceded that "some" require an adjustable ball. BS.

ZR
01-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Light pull away chatter, only reason I'm gonna see if a Dual Friction will live in the Cobra. Odd part, been Whippled for gone two full seasons now, stock clutch is holding like a champ and is still silky smooth, hate it's pedal pressure though.