PDA

View Full Version : TKO600 2-3 shifting issues

tulowd
01-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Interesting read by a pretty astute author - this guy is a real techie - click on his other links and tech explanations of a wide range of electronic and automotive things.

http://www.w8ji.com/tko_600_shifting_problems.htm

Slope
01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
My TKO 600RR goes 2-3 effortlessly with a palm shot from 2nd towards the CD player.

Factory Tremec shifter with a shortened Pro 5.0 handle.

Slope
01-17-2015, 03:17 PM
One further thing about that article:

It's pretty much an advertizement for Liberty.

The author says he wants to be methodical in diagnosing and repairing the issue as well as providing an explanation.

Step 1: Send trans + $3500 to Liberty.
Step 2: Done.

Golf clap...

Old Fart
01-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Some good reading on his other topics.

Slope
01-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Step 1: Send trans + $3500 to Liberty.

Should read: $3500 trans + $$$ to Liberty.

ZR
01-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Typically, T56 is know as being strong n durable but a bear to shift under power, only partially true.
In my experience, biggest culprit is the one size fits all handles put out by the shifter mfgs. We've been lulled into believing a shorter handle makes for quicker and more accurate shifts, BS. I'm on my third shifter and likely 30th plus version of a shifter handle in my car. Gone from a trans that would not shift hard let alone power shift on the first to second / second to third shift to very acceptable.
Next on the list, clutch fork ball socket. On the T5 Ford got it pretty close, on the T56 they missed by a bunch. Takes the clutch cable being adjusted too tight to see enough travel to properly release the clutch and enable the trans to shift. OEM needed to make the pivot ball just a little bit taller on the T56 but they didn't.
Is the trans itself at least partially at fault, just like the TKO yes but is made worse because of the above.

Slope
01-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Next on the list, clutch fork ball socket. On the T5 Ford got it pretty close, on the T56 they missed by a bunch. Takes the clutch cable being adjusted too tight to see enough travel to properly release the clutch and enable the trans to shift. OEM needed to make the pivot ball just a little bit taller on the T56 but they didn't.

Have you experimented with shimming the pivot ball?

03svt
01-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Just be thankful you guys don't have a tr6060! I miss the shifter/trans in my cobra, I could bang gears all day long!

Shelby? sure as long as it's below 3000rpm...

I'll remedy that before spring though.