PDA

View Full Version : Making a new fox headliner

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 11:42 AM
So I need to replace the headliner in my car.

Way back when I recovered the factory piece of cardboard with suede. It held up ok but not good enough. I was just going to buy a new headliner with ABS plastic backing until I realized they cost $280usd.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-1769HSC/84-86-Mustang-Hatchback-W-Sunroof-Charcoal-Gray-Cloth-Headliner-With-Abs-Board

Anyways, Im going to make my own. Does anyone have any ideas on a relatively thin and flexible plastic that I can use as the backing (instead of cardboard). I was also thinking about trying thin MDF but would prefer plastic.

Would like to pull this off for under $80 in materials.

Any thoughts? Maybe I will go to HD today and peruse.

svo1990mustang
02-21-2015, 11:46 AM
What about that corrugated plastic stuff?

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 11:47 AM
What about that corrugated plastic stuff?

Like the stuff they make signs from? That would probably work well

svo1990mustang
02-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Like the stuff they make signs from? That would probably work well

Yeah that stuff, i have seen it for sale in alot of hardware stores like home depot and rona

Intmdtr
02-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Why not a thin gauge steel? That corrugated plastic isn't very flexible in both directions. It will be hard to contour it to meet your needs.

Another option is fibre glass?

Slope
02-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Subscribed...

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Why not a thin gauge steel? That corrugated plastic isn't very flexible in both directions. It will be hard to contour it to meet your needs.

Another option is fibre glass?

Steell isn't too easy to work with and is prob heavy. Later this afternoon I am going to go out and find some materials and hopefully get started.

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Well the hardest part is done.

I bought a 1/8" hardboard 4x8 sheet from HD. It cost $8

I bought some 1/2" thick foam (a little thick, but ill give it a go). It cost $6.41

I just need to buy a yard of suede or vinyl or some other material which will cost around ~$10

My total cost on this job will be about $25 lol.

I cut this out with a sawzall and then went at it with the dremel cause i cant find my jigsaw.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/iamdean17/6B59B507-BF80-4D5F-9FF5-9A672F13C6AE-446-00000092ECDA1BEF_zps3df6b6aa.jpg

Slope
02-21-2015, 05:38 PM
You weren't sh*ttin' LOL.

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
ya I don't fuck around lol.

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 06:09 PM
I might splurge and buy some foam backed automotive suede.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/suhec.html

Slope
02-21-2015, 06:14 PM
I might splurge and buy some foam backed automotive suede.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/suhec.html

Looks champ to me. No one ever looks up there anyhow. I had the headliner out of my '85 for over a month, I don't think anyone ever noticed.

I'll take two for a '93 only Hatch with sunroof...

TurboFox
02-21-2015, 06:37 PM
That would be awesome, but a lot of work. I'm not a big fan of fiberglass work and it would probably take a lot of time to make sure everything looks proper and that there are no gaps.

Foam and fabric on the other hand is quite forgiving.

Not4you
02-21-2015, 07:17 PM
When i made the rear seat delete for my old coupe i used spray on contact cement to keep the vinyl on the underlay without wrinkles. Hardest part is wrapping the corners and edges without getting creases and seams on the finished side. But the spray glue helped.

Speedtospare
02-22-2015, 02:06 AM
Post up the results with pics please. My Datsun needs a head liner, its totally missing

tulowd
02-22-2015, 10:01 AM
When i made the rear seat delete for my old coupe i used spray on contact cement to keep the vinyl on the underlay without wrinkles. Hardest part is wrapping the corners and edges without getting creases and seams on the finished side. But the spray glue helped.

spray on contact cement unfortunately is not heat rated and will loosen up over time with the incar temps we experience in the summer. Best bet is to wrap the material around the edges and use some industrial strength adhesive like those from 3M. Expensive and a pain to use, but worth it, especially give a headliner is the only trim piece mounted upside down - and in the warmest location to boot.
Saggy headliner is not exactly sexy, plus it might interfere with your forward vision, lol

TurboFox
02-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Ive used spray on adhesive twice now never had a sag. But the sunroof opening holds everything tight.

Slope
02-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Ive used spray on adhesive twice now never had a sag. But the sunroof opening holds everything tight.

I bought the 3M stuff when I redid my '85. I think it lasted a month before it started to sag again. This was on a Sand Beige cloth headliner so it's not like I could just go order one (which has changed recently). Staples crossed my mind a million times, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

TurboFox
02-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Did it have a sunroof? Cause on sunroof cars you have to pull it over the lip and glue it to the actual car? Mine stayed for 10 years...

Slope
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
It was a sunroof car. It started sagging in the rear corners by the quarter panel.

Not4you
02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
spray on contact cement unfortunately is not heat rated and will loosen up over time with the incar temps we experience in the summer. Best bet is to wrap the material around the edges and use some industrial strength adhesive like those from 3M. Expensive and a pain to use, but worth it, especially give a headliner is the only trim piece mounted upside down - and in the warmest location to boot.
Saggy headliner is not exactly sexy, plus it might interfere with your forward vision, lol

fair point. my rear seat delete did not need to combat gravity like a headliner. either way, I never had an issue with it (although my car was garage kept so not out in the sun too much).