PDA

View Full Version : CHECK ENGINE help!

95GT_VERT
02-25-2015, 09:23 PM
1995 Mustang GT:

while driving at steady speed applying light light throttle to maintain speed car will start to chug and miss....if you let it miss and stumble long enough the engine light comes on. If you hit the gas it instantly works fine and if you down gear and let'er go for a gear the engine light will go off.

Car starts and idles perfect.
Car has tons of power
car accelerates perfect smooth while gaining speed.
NO recent mods or work done to the car, Just randomly started 2 days ago. And it doesnt even do it evertime your in the scenario of maintaining speed. it was fine all day yesturday

Only does this when your driving as if your stuck behind someone doing the speed limit and cant pass.

Car has had all the recent tune up things done and also had a recent MAF clean.

What would be your guess as what to look at?

Does the computer store a code for that engine light even after the lights off?

any insight would be great.
Thanks
Josh

Ponyryd
02-25-2015, 09:50 PM
If the light is off the code will likely be gone. I'd look into the fuel system, check pressure for sure, but could be bad gas, or a plugged filter or injectors.

95GT_VERT
02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
I was leaning towards bad gas , and if it was bad gas it would likely be my fault . I had the car on the hoist 2 days ago and was using a garden hose and hot water to rinse the slush off it , the gas tank and rear frame rails had lots so I hosed it down and I know for certain I hit the rubber gasket and filler neck while rinsing . How much water would need to get into the tank to actually cause issue? I did put stabilizer in there since but I don't think that's actually for water in gas .

ZR
02-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Is it coming up to full temp?
CAI or stock / clean MAF regardless.
Check code anyways, likely lean.

ZR
02-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I'd run a can of SeaFoam OR GM fuel system cleaner +

95GT_VERT
02-25-2015, 10:06 PM
It has a CAI . I cleaned the maf yesturday , car seems to be at temp, gauge fluctuates better n-o-r on the gauge and if idling it will go upto the m in normal.

I drove into town tonight and it missed and chugged a bit . Drove home from town and it ran perfect . And only chugged a bit at 80km/h while in 5th gear at light throttle

ZR
02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
-check for codes
-dump in suggested fuel additive regardless
-have the odd customer with similar issue running CAI in the winter, some relief with air filter approx 1/2 wrapped in cardboard and held in place with tie straps or large elastics (if one side faces more into the wind, wrap it).
Hopefully you get a code, my moneys on one relating to a lean condition.
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?
If fuel pressure is off just a bit, try about 3 or 4oz of two stroke oil in the fuel tank (mix with fuel before dumping in) then recheck after a few miles.

95GT_VERT
02-25-2015, 10:16 PM
I can likely find one. If it keeps up after the fuel additive I will switch out the CAI for the stock unit off my convertible .

ZR
02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Good idea to run stocker style filter for the winter regardless.

Slope
02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Good idea to run stocker style filter for the winter regardless.

LIKE.

95GT_VERT
02-25-2015, 10:22 PM
so the cold air intake could be supplying to cold of air ? Lol

ZR
02-26-2015, 09:05 AM
Increased air flow combined with how cold it is, could be tipping the balance between just rich enough and too lean. CAI is also more prone to icing in the cold / damp.

jibbijib
02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Is the distributor dry under the cap?

Something to look into at least.