PDA

View Full Version : What the difference in parts????

95GT_VERT
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Ok, so i am curious to know if there is actually a huge quality difference in the same part when you order from Carquest, Napa etc....they all have options For example i need a wheelbearing for my 95 mustang, Called up carquest and i can get a cheap one at 40 bucks or a good one at 75.00

Is there any reason to go for the more expensive part other then maybe a better warrenty? and who honestly has gotten anything out of a Warrenty on a lifetime ball joint etc etc.

Insight from some of the mechanic on this board would be nice before i piss away and additional 35 bucks for "Peace of mind"

ZR
03-04-2015, 08:20 PM
When buying wheel bearing hubs, always do my best to get a Timken or similar quality. Sometimes that can mean the difference between spending in the price range you've stated, other times it means the bearing could cost even hundreds more. Failure rate on the cheapie no names, high, extremely high.

Tailites
03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
its really difficult these days to know whats good...so many knock offs

every things china...even the major manufacturers stuff

onDjuice
03-04-2015, 08:44 PM
When buying wheel bearing hubs, always do my best to get a Timken or similar quality. Sometimes that can mean the difference between spending in the price range you've stated, other times it means the bearing could cost even hundreds more. Failure rate on the cheapie no names, high, extremely high.

Well said bro.. Timken or Fag are quality pieces. Cost alot more but last alot longer then 6 months or less for the cheap stuff.
Torquing the axle shaft nut helps..

ZR
03-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Good point, torquing axle shaft nut to spec makes an appreciable difference in how long they last.

Ponyryd
03-04-2015, 09:25 PM
^We used to only use top end bearing AND torque the nuts to spec on a fleet of Caddy shuttle cars, they ate bearing worse than anything I've seen, we started using cheap ones and they lasted the same if not better, stopped torquing the nuts and they lasted longer still, I can't explain it, but it happened.
If you ask me I'd go with a cheap part for a beater, or a mid-line or better for something you really care about. Warranty claims have been no problem for me, just keep your bill and it's all good.
As stated though, a lot of the parts all come from the same place in a different box.

ZR
03-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I've seen instances of the same here but predominantly, better bearing = much better life. Failure rate on even the best ones is what I describe as not acceptable. Just as disturbing that the original hub goes upwards of 150k or better but it's replacement is lucky to last a 1/3 of that. Same can be said for far too many replacement parts.
Sad day and age.

Ponyryd
03-04-2015, 10:55 PM
^Agreed. Have you priced one at the dealer? Some parts are way more, some are the same and some are less, worth a call.

95GT_VERT
03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Just picked up a SKF bearing made in the USA. Hope its good.

02goat
03-11-2015, 08:38 AM
ask about the warranties also...
I seem to recall getting a lifetime warranty on some Timken products in the past...?
could be a selling feature also...

ZR
03-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Some of the ultra cheapies come with a long warranty, still not worth risking your safety to something you know is of inferior quality.
Traditionally, SKF is good stuff. Did the box have their name on it or the bearing as well? Yes some are playing the rebox game.

95GT_VERT
03-11-2015, 09:25 AM
It came in a proper box

ZR
03-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Is the bearing marked with their brand / part number?

95GT_VERT
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
the bearing said

koyo DACF11100

Both side cause both bearings were bad

ZR
03-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Koyo bearing in an SKF box, my point as to the games these guys are playing.

ZR
03-11-2015, 12:30 PM
STill an ok bearing though.

95GT_VERT
03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Both bearings were stamped identical and both came in SKF boxes

95GT_VERT
03-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Should i call SKF and ask WTF? im bored at work so.

ZR
03-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Chances are it's a part number where co A makes it but both sell under their own brand, very common these days.
At one time, bulk of the diff bearings that came in Ford boxes were Timken, now you see pretty much all of with Koyo in the box.

95GT_VERT
03-11-2015, 01:25 PM
So i called SKF in Toronto and they told me that Koyo is a direct Competitor. I called the NAPA corporate office and they told me that they can not help me, and that i need to contact the store that I purchased the parts from.
Spoke to the Napa store and they said it is 100% normal and happens all the time. So basically there is nothing i can do except request new parts but im not tearing my car apart again. Lesson of the day, I will forever CHECK my parts before i leave the stores.

The store said that i wont have an issue bringing Koyo bearings back with a reciept with the SKF number on it so since they pissed me off, I may just keep the 2 wheel bearings in the boxes and maybe next year just randomly take them back and get new ones for free.

ZR
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Ridiculous scenario but unfortunately, a very common one.

Slope
03-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Ridiculous scenario but unfortunately, a very common one.

At the very least, I'm glad he called around for some answers...

Ponyryd
03-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Not surprised...not at all. Regardless, Koyo bearings have been decent from what I've seen. At least you didn't get two different bearings in the same boxes like I did when I bought "premium" ACDelco rotors for my DD.