PDA

View Full Version : 64 thunderbird. Subframe connectors.

5.4MarkVIII
03-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Weather warming up a big. Gonna be able to start working in the un heated garage again.
I have a couple patches to do in the floor pans and while I'm there with the interiour stripped I'm thinking of doing some weld in connectors.
This isn't gonna be a race car but also not going to be a numbers matching resto. Just a fun project to drive and enjoy.
I can't find anything direct fit. any tips or how toos? Anyone here made some from scratch before?

CON VERT
03-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Let me know how you make out, never heard of anyone doing it ! would like to know the gains, could always go on VCTI & ask ,
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/

ZR
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
After driving Glen's Bird, car is very tight. Unless you've got floor structure issues, don't feel it needs em.

KIDAGIN
03-04-2015, 09:37 PM
^^^Some how that didn't sound right

ZR
03-04-2015, 10:02 PM
He likes it.

KIDAGIN
03-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I bet ...lol

tulowd
03-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I did the front half on my Fox from scratch. You need a grinder, a cutoff wheel; a wire wheel, mig welder and some .125" wall 1.5x2.5 or so rectangular tubing. If you can post some pics of the underneath, some will chime in. Will really depend what kind of structure there is to weld to. SFC's need to be as long as possible in order to be effective.

CON VERT
03-05-2015, 08:16 AM
A couple of issues, problem I see if your doing it, is even the muffler clamps hit on turns going up a ramp etc, (normal is 6- 7") they are so low to start off with, add a couple of bodies and a trunk full of road pops & they are slammed, + the undercoating (soundproofing) is fairly thick, unless of course it has fallen off due to rust etc, lots of grinding involved, & like ZR said not sure of the gains ,but as mentioned would love to know, but if you have never driven the car it would be a mute point.
I have had my steering gear box reworked to change it to 15-1 ratio, solid bushings mounts, new sensa matic shocks, + H/D sway bar for the front with poly bushings & a dual master and cylinder brake set up ! its really coming around never going to be a road racer , but that 390 has some push and allot of folks are surprised when I put my foot into it beside them for a car the size of an air craft carrier she got some moves and is a dream to drive on the highway at 70-80 MPH !
Enjoy !

BTW~ I put a post up on VTCI to see if anyone else has done them and if any real gains or issues were encountered.

ZR
03-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Steering box mods we did to Glens should be on your absolutely must do list. Took it from a decent enough to drive car to one that all but steers itself, yes made that much difference. If you need a source for the box mods, shoot me a pm, he's in Markham.
Something as simple as a new intake really wakes the 390 up in both performance and fuel mileage. Ford missed by a mile on it's design.

OldSchool
03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Global West is were I got my old Falcon stuff.
Maybe something there will fit your needs?
I was very happy with the quality of the product

5.4MarkVIII
03-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Did some reading last night and checked with local speed shop. No one makes anything for the tbird. If Rick says it's okay without hem that's fine by me. I got a couple floor issues to fix up and just figured. While I got the interiour ripped out no time like the present.
I have not driven the car at all. Detent on the colum is bad so wasn't drivable. Just started to get it torn apart.
Good to know about the steering thanks I'll keep that in mind. With this "warmer weather I'm going to get some progress made.

CON VERT
03-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Keep us updated ! "Special Interest in Oakville, Ray & Karen they have a wealth of knowledge, & have piles of parts and manuals etc,

ZR
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Glen can point you to the guys that sell solid mounts for the steering box.

5.4MarkVIII
03-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Anyone have experience with 390 heads? They are quite expencive. The edlebrock ones are 2k for the pair. Not sure it's worth that much coin. I have heard going to a pair of 427 heads is a good upgrade. Or should I just stick with the stock heads. And only do the intake cam and carb?

ZR
03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Problem is, between purchase and rebuild, you'll have 2/3 of that cost in 427 heads.
If the budget can stand it, you won't be disappointed.
No matter what cam your going with, be sure to budget for adjustable valve train set up.