PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Clutch installed... Bit of issue. 2005 Mustang GT 4.6L

Monera3v
03-17-2015, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone,

So just got my clutch installed and just wanted to know if this is normal.
Spec 2 clutch kit and re-used the stock, flywheel was in good condition as per the transmission shop ( Will keep their name unknown for now)
Upgraded the the tob to a Exedy throwout bearing as people recommended on forums and AM sale rep.
Change the pilot bearing to a Ford racing part as well.
Mustang Pro 5.0 short throw shifter.

When the car is off, the shifter will go into all gears without no issue.

When the car is on. It is really hard to get it into gear and is requiring me to use both hands to get it into reverse (:S yea def not normal)
I also notice I have almost no play in the clutch pedal, as soon I let off a little bit the car want to go.
Sometimes just sitting still, with the car in gear, the car want to move, as if it grabbing just a bit enough to make it shutter/ rpm to drop just a bit.

Should I allow the week break in period and than go back to complain about this or is one of the parts I installed not good?

Please let me know your inputs.

(Sorry for the poor English)

TurboFox
03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
do you have a firewall adjuster?

Monera3v
03-17-2015, 10:20 PM
do you have a firewall adjuster?

Sorry, I forgot to note it's a 2005 (Hydraulic slavE)

Ponyryd
03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Complain now, or asap, it should have never even left the shop like that. It sounds to me like the clutch is not releasing, so even with your foot on the pedal it's still on a bit, so it is wearing prematurely since it's always contacting the flywheel and pressure plate. Could be a problem with the slave, air in the system, or TOB.

ZR
03-17-2015, 10:57 PM
No it does not need a break in to release correctly. Would have never suggested that clutch set up.
Was flywheel machined?
Clutch damage is certain if you continue to drive as is.

Monera3v
03-17-2015, 11:23 PM
No it does not need a break in to release correctly. Would have never suggested that clutch set up.
Was flywheel machined?
Clutch damage is certain if you continue to drive as is.

Hey Rick, after looking after all the forums and a few pm from worried board guys....
Can I have you look at it.

I might just dump this entire setup and spent some extra bucks on what you suggest in parts to purchase!

Thank you!

ZR
03-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Sent you a pm with a suggestion, please let us know how you make out.

Monera3v
03-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Sent you a pm with a suggestion, please let us know how you make out.

Thank you sir!
Pm has been read and completed.

RedSN
03-18-2015, 12:18 AM
air in the system
I'm going with this one. Clutch isn't releasing.

Tailites
03-18-2015, 08:32 AM
pretty obvious the shop didnt check theyre work

no road test?

ZR
03-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Bleeding many of the later model hydraulic systems can be a humbling experience. Some have a bleeder screw, some don't, some are done via strokes of the pedal only while others are done by removing entire system (including master cylinder) and strapping to a ladder and tapping the line.

Monera3v
03-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Good morning!

After the instruction provided by Rick, it has become so much smoother to get the shifter into Reverse and no longer require both hands to do so.

Cheers for our Master Mechanic Rick!

allicedout
03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Good morning!

After the instruction provided by Rick, it has become so much smoother to get the shifter into Reverse and no longer require both hands to do so.

I don't like gloating or tooting my own horn but.....................

I TOLD YOU SO!!

Uncle Buck
03-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Good morning!

How's your leg?

onDjuice
03-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Bleeding many of the later model hydraulic systems can be a humbling experience. Some have a bleeder screw, some don't, some are done via strokes of the pedal only while others are done by removing entire system (including master cylinder) and strapping to a ladder and tapping the line.

Well said bro.. I've done more then i care to remember.

ZR
03-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Mfg's have done an awesome job of making simple complicated.

Good on you for taking the advise and running with it, know it sounded off the wall compared to what you've have expected to hear.

Screw
03-18-2015, 03:00 PM

There is a reason a bunch of guys feel this way eh & trust their shiat to him . Imo not worth skimping on a quality wrench ! ..... or wench , whatever turns your crank ;)

Monera3v
03-18-2015, 04:08 PM
I have a feeling I am going to ripped all this out and have Rick redo the entire thing with his recommended parts and all his recommendations.

I'm hearing some weird noise since I took it on the highway for the first time today.

As soon I hit around 3k , I heard something vibrating.

And the clutch engagement is almost 0 If I let go just a few mm, the clutch engages. I gotta dig that clutch pedal into the floor to switch gears.

I called the shop and they are refusing to speak to me when I asked him if he did anything to my fly wheel.... I also notice as I was switching the level of my shifter there a new bolt next to the shifter brace.

They may have broke 1 of those bolts and just drilled a new on in :S....

I think I just got burnt for 250.....Going to see someone soon.

ZR
03-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Someone installed a clutch for $250?

Monera3v
03-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Someone installed a clutch for $250?

Yup, very bad decision, but I kinda needed the slave done asap so I said yea might as well do it all at once ... extremely bad move.

Rick, can you take a look tomorrow and make me a list of parts to get... I gotta stop trying to be cheap and bite the dust like Alliceout has told me and stop living on a budget....

Last thing I want to do is ruin this stang :(

ZR
03-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Let's not panic until we hook at and take if for a drive.
Gimme a shout tomorrow as planned.

Monera3v
03-18-2015, 04:51 PM
10-4 Rick!

Monera3v
03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Guess who just spent a portion of his tax return!
<--- This guy

So after all seem to have failed and car refuses to shift into gear now.... I called up Joe, Awesome guy! Only 2 of the nicest mechanic Ive meet since I moved to toronto.
Joe introduced me to the crew down at the shop and gave me a nice tour of the facility. It was pretty cool, we was just talking about how I have never seen a s550 and here at the end of the shop he has one sitting there.!

Well got a whole new list of parts from Joe at a pretty great price
Centerforce dual friction clutch
New FRPP hardware kit
Brand new O.E hydraulic release bearing
And a Use flywheel already machined

All parts should be ready by tomorrow!
Cost price 1543.

Can't afford down time with my logistics business, gotta get her done right now!

Ray721
03-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Ouch, sucks to do it twice. Glad your back up and running. Enjoy it.

Monera3v
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Ouch, sucks to do it twice. Glad your back up and running. Enjoy it.

Well not up and running yet. Gotta swing by Mr Ricks place and have him take care of her.
Well, the last shop admitted they messed up the install, gave me back my money and wanted nothing more to do with it.. They started at 12 and finished at 7 (shop closes at 5) I basically went for launch at 2 so I guess the following all happened while i was away;
So they admitted of using a disk wheel and sand paper to "surface" my flywheel and broke a bolt in the flywheel and attempted to use a bolt and nut to fix that.. that would explain the vibration...
and 1 of 2 support bolt snapped when they tried removing the old shifter. so they drilled a hole and drop a nut and bolt to support it.

Never again Am I bringing a car to anyone but Rick or Dasilva

Ray721
03-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Well not up and running yet. Gotta swing by Mr Ricks place and have him take care of her.
Well, the last shop admitted they messed up the install, gave me back my money and wanted nothing more to do with it.. They started at 12 and finished at 7 (shop closes at 5) I basically went for launch at 2 so I guess the following all happened while i was away;
So they admitted of using a disk wheel and sand paper to "surface" my flywheel and broke a bolt in the flywheel and attempted to use a bolt and nut to fix that.. that would explain the vibration...
and 1 of 2 support bolt snapped when they tried removing the old shifter. so they drilled a hole and drop a nut and bolt to support it.

Oh my god! What the hell kind of micky mouse shop was this. Sorry to hear how badly your car got butchered up. Between Rick and Joe, you'll be taken care of.

TurboFox
03-19-2015, 03:07 PM
A nut on the back of the flywheel lol

KIDAGIN
03-19-2015, 03:07 PM

That sucks big time.
With Rick or Dasilvas as Allstate says your in good hands.
I never go anywhere else.

Monera3v
03-20-2015, 04:59 PM
That sucks big time.
With Rick or Dasilvas as Allstate says your in good hands.
I never go anywhere else.

Indeed, I have learn my lesson!

First time ever getting a transmission job done.... And obviously got burned. Oh well we all learn one day. Last thing I wanted was to get this car butchered after the 96 I purchased in toronto, that was completely rotted to bits...

Screw
03-20-2015, 05:09 PM
As long as we don't repeat our mistake then lesson learned . I've been down that road too buddy .

Tailites
03-20-2015, 06:12 PM
& this is precisely why I do all my own stuff...

Ponyryd
03-20-2015, 08:09 PM
^There are trustworthy guys out there, and not all of us have the time, skills, or equipment to do ALL our own work.

Monera3v
03-21-2015, 01:19 AM
LOL, if life was that easy. Unfortunately, I moved out my parents place in Montreal to Toronto and don't have that kind of fund to own my own mini garage at home.
Well the car is in Ricks hands, from what everyone has been telling me I know i'm in good hands now.

99chromegt
03-21-2015, 07:59 AM
At least the butcher shop gave you your money back. You must have felt sick about the entire deal until that happened. Good to hear the update and that you are getting it fixed up.

Monera3v
03-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Well I haven't heard from Rick all day :P Hopefully its good news and they did not weld the pressure plate to the flywheel...

Screw
03-21-2015, 04:48 PM
He's very meticulous better not to rush the old fellar ;p

sxy_stang
03-21-2015, 07:24 PM
ya ricks the man he is the only one to lay hands on my cobra and trust him completely on any repairs to my car. its funny he tells me parts that will improve my car and then it sticks in my head and order it. your car will be fixed in no time

Lips
03-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Hell Rick's 1am redneck fixes come out better then a lot of shops top quality work! your car is in fine hands and will come out better than ever.

Tailites
03-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Hell Rick's 1am redneck fixes come out better then a lot of shops top quality work!

of course they do...rednecks just have an affinity for fixin stuff :mechanic:

Monera3v
03-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Well got her back, and they even went as far as giving her a bath :P Much Appreciated Rick and Ross!

Well the car feels 100x better!

Even with a upgraded clutched, .... the stock pedal was so much harsher than it is now!

It so easy to press the clutch down now... I gotta re-learn my bite point again, but yes! 100% satisfied with how it feels now!

I am even enjoying my pro 5.0 shifter better... Before It felt like I was shifting a metal rod in a square maze * CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK *, now it's crucible might even drop the throw down a little more.

I wish they were more people like Rick! I have only gotten but bad luck with mechanics here since my move in 05.

THANKS AGAIN!

RedSN
03-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Bleeding many of the later model hydraulic systems can be a humbling experience..
You talking about my B3000? ;)

Glad you got it fixed up Monera. Lesson learned: clutch work > $250

ZR
03-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Yes for sure yours makes the list Don, set up Saturn uses makes about as much sense but is really pretty easy once you figure it out. In each case, simple addition of a tried n true point to bleed would make em a zero issue.

ZR
03-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Anywho, good to hear the Mustang feels n drives how you like, thank you again.
Fortunately, set up gave up the ghost quietly before the pressure plate came off the flywheel and caused damage and or hurt you. Flywheel having been re-faced with a body grinder was a nice touch to.

Monera3v
03-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes sir after I saw that burn mark on the pressure plate and flywheel I was glad I did not bring the car in mid traffic..

Screw
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Ya Monera ..keep your experience in mind when you tackle your boost build !

Monera3v
03-21-2015, 10:27 PM
going to get the suspension re-checked once the clutch has broken in and all is well.
Rear pinion angle still needs to be aligned.

allicedout
03-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Glad she's back on the road.......

hsousa88
03-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Leave it to Rick to take care of all the good people on this board.

No one else touches my car, unless its me (and I fuck shit up) and then Rick fixes it.

:D

Monera3v
03-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Tomorrow she going into the paint shop to get the rear end bumper repaired from the idiot who did a hit and run on me!
Lets hope that goes well -_-.

allicedout
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
So you'll be ready for track day bro?

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?4402-Track-day-pre-reg-information&p=95991#post95991

Monera3v
03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
So you'll be ready for track day bro?

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?4402-Track-day-pre-reg-information&p=95991#post95991

I think all I gotta do is my new brakes and get my rear end done up and Yea I would be down to join.
I haven't been to a track in a good 10 years.