View Full Version : Hot start problems

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
My 91 fox suffers a tad from hot starts. Couple notes:

• Battery is relocated in the trunk with 1ga cable running to solenoid. Connections are clean and solid
• Battery is brand new w/875CCA
• Starter is two years old
• I'm using shorty headers

I notice it most when the car has been driven for 45-1hr. It's fine to zip around town and short trips.

I've read some posts that replacing it with a 92/93 starter can help solve these issues since they're smaller?

I've read that creating a heat shield could help (I like this idea...)

I could wrap the headers...

Wondering if anyone here has a working solution.

Thanks!

svo1990mustang
05-05-2015, 12:35 PM
A failing TFI module will cause hot start problems as well

hsousa88
05-05-2015, 03:54 PM
A failing TFI module will cause hot start problems as well
Or it won't start at all :(

svo1990mustang
05-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Or it won't start at all :(
True as well

ZR
05-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Does it

-turn over and won't fire?
OR
-not turn over or turn over too slow to fire?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
05-05-2015, 11:17 PM
It's a sloooow cranking and then will fire. Sometimes it's just really slow and won't fire at all... almost like a battery that's bit the dust...

Does it

-turn over and won't fire?
OR
-not turn over or turn over too slow to fire?

84ragtop
05-06-2015, 05:09 AM
my 84 is doing the exact same thing

ZR
05-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Ok so it's a cranking not a starting issue.
Do you have a matching ground cable, from battery to chassis + from chassis to engine up front?
If yes and your sure all connections are clean, update to mini starter is suggested. Also suggest (since battery is in the trunk), your main cable goes directly to from the battery to the starter. Use your original solenoid to starter to cable to supply power to the front of the car (switch to opposite terminal on the fender mounted solenoid). Use the original solenoid trigger wire to switch your new starter, done.

b1lk1
05-06-2015, 08:12 AM
I have longtubes and a mini starter (from a later model Mustang) completely cured my hot crank issues. Wired my starter as ZR stated too, took seconds really, lol.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
05-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Rick.

The only challenge I'm facing then, is running power directly from the battery to the starter. It's a bigazzz 1ga cable. I know your suggesting this so, if I avoid doing so, would I simply hook up the new starter the same as the old one?

Jeff

Ok so it's a cranking not a starting issue.
Do you have a matching ground cable, from battery to chassis + from chassis to engine up front?
If yes and your sure all connections are clean, update to mini starter is suggested. Also suggest (since battery is in the trunk), your main cable goes directly to from the battery to the starter. Use your original solenoid to starter to cable to supply power to the front of the car (switch to opposite terminal on the fender mounted solenoid). Use the original solenoid trigger wire to switch your new starter, done.

b1lk1
05-06-2015, 02:23 PM
If you are not wanting to move your power cable then just tap into the trigger wire and run a wire to the trigger on the starter. There is not a big amp draw there, something 12-14 gauge should be fine. Connect the starter power wire as you have it now.