PDA

View Full Version : Bump Steer Kits

KIDAGIN
05-09-2015, 06:29 AM
My car is lowered and I am experiencing that so called bump steer on rough or uneven roads.
Do I need to get one of these kits installed and if so which one.
Any input would be appreciated.

ZR
05-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Your car is at the level I'd expect it to be of little to no issue. Be interested to hear how it feels on new tires though, some are far more prone to following the ruts vs others. If it's better but still not right, perhaps a slightly different approach on your next alignment (hair more caster / zero toe). If it was mine, would try the above + perhaps a set of Maximum caster camber plates to properly adjust.

KIDAGIN
05-09-2015, 06:37 AM
Hear ya Rick been waiting for tires to get here.
Does installing a bump steer kit call for an alignment?

ZR
05-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Full alignment is done first.

KIDAGIN
05-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Okay thanks it's tires, alignment and then bump steer.

b1lk1
05-09-2015, 07:48 AM
I'd like to tag on a question here if I could. What if your car HAS a bump steer kit in it and you are raising it close to stock height? My car was slammed and since I'm not able to do an air ride kit like Kidagin (You lucky SOB, LOL!!!!) I am getting taller springs and such to bring my car back to a height that a 47 year old worn out beat up old man can handle (plus the wife said so). Should I remove it or leave it be? I'm not wanting to spend any more dough on parts I don't need, just curious as to thoughts on this.

ZR
05-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Never a downside to using a bumpsteer kit provided it's properly set. Most install n eyeball then call it a day. Done properly, shimming comes down to very small increments. Time consuming and requires a good gauge.

Longacre's version
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7239

http://www.longacreracing.com/specialfunctions/serverincludes/showImage.ashx?filepath=e:\Projects\vsm\code\websi te\U\356\\Userfiles\Ecom-Images\Setup\Bump-steer-gauge-79005.jpg&nw=750

b1lk1
05-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Came pre-installed on my car, to me, the chance it was ever setup properly is less than the chance of winning the lottery, lol. ALOT of hacks touched my car before I got it.

ZR
05-09-2015, 08:55 AM
In many cases, just a matter of installer not understanding the right procedure.

ZR
05-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Okay thanks it's tires, alignment and then bump steer.

My moneys on you'll be happy after the first two.
Interested to hear your feedback on the Nitto's.

OldSchool
05-09-2015, 09:12 AM
IMO Bumpsteer setup can be time consuming and expensive with very little improvement for many.

OldSchool
05-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Do you know anyone that employs that machine around here?

Thanks

Never a downside to using a bumpsteer kit provided it's properly set. Most install n eyeball then call it a day. Done properly, shimming comes down to very small increments. Time consuming and requires a good gauge.

Longacre's version
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7239

http://www.longacreracing.com/specialfunctions/serverincludes/showImage.ashx?filepath=e:\Projects\vsm\code\websi te\U\356\\Userfiles\Ecom-Images\Setup\Bump-steer-gauge-79005.jpg&nw=750

ZR
05-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Could not find anyone with one so I bought a Longacre. I think some alignment shops do it via lifting up / pulling down on the chassis to visually observe toe in or toe out. With the gauge set up above, shimming comes down to 20 thou shims, no way you could fine tune that far with your eye. May be why the general consensus is bump steer kits add little to nothing. On a crappy rutted road or under hard braking, difference in my own was well worth the cost and effort involved.

b1lk1
05-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Well, considering the "quality" of the work done to my car before I got it, I am quite certain it was just tossed in with no care. I'd be even more surprised if they even aligned it. I am so glad I joined these forums, so so much I just do not know or understand about modifying these cars and now it's coming clear to me why so many modded ones do not behave.

Harbinger
05-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Ya you'd think modded cars would be properly Cared for...my car was lowered without caster camber plates, tires worn in the front the wrong way, springs cut, spring isolators missing in the front...Good thing I started taking care of her :) at least if I ever sell my mustang it'll be super mint for the next customer.

Well, considering the "quality" of the work done to my car before I got it, I am quite certain it was just tossed in with no care. I'd be even more surprised if they even aligned it. I am so glad I joined these forums, so so much I just do not know or understand about modifying these cars and now it's coming clear to me why so many modded ones do not behave.

Slick_89_Hatch
05-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Without my bumpsteer properly set yet I have already noticed a difference on uneven pavement. Worth every penny IMO.

jibbijib
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
I have a set laying on my shelf in the garage waiting to go in. With the alignment set in the car, the bump steer has been minimized, but not substantially. Would like to slap in the kit and hopefully solve the issue. Add that to a CC plate install later on and I think I'll be golden.

Slick_89_Hatch
05-11-2015, 07:39 AM
I have a set laying on my shelf in the garage waiting to go in. With the alignment set in the car, the bump steer has been minimized, but not substantially. Would like to slap in the kit and hopefully solve the issue. Add that to a CC plate install later on and I think I'll be golden.

You will be, the extra caster you'll be able to get with the CC plates makes a huge difference.