PDA

View Full Version : Using or thinking about using water wetter

ZR
05-28-2015, 07:02 PM
After chasing an issue on JT's GT 500 (intercooling overheating n spewing coolant) we removed the later model / higher flow rate GT500 pump he'd previously installed and went back to the original Bosch pump found on the Cobra and Lightening. All went smooth with the bumper cover n related bits off, pump on and primed, voila we had coolant flow in the bottle. Ok so it's done and ready to pick up, about 90 seconds into idling for warm up, coolant bottle is foamed to the brim n spilling outta the top. WTF, pump hooked up correctly, electrical is right cause it's spinning the right way, well what the hell. Allow to sit for a few minutes thinking maybe it's due to purging air after being drained, fired back up, same result. Sat back for a few minutes n scratched my head (lil wonder I've got so lil hair left, working on cars n all) n finally get the idea, perhaps the last shop to drain it had a contaminated bucket (soap maybe). Using the coolant tester, pull a few ounces out and put in a clear water bottle n shake 5 or 6 times. Be dammed if it didn't make a pink milkshake outta it, took several minutes to settle. Hmmm, got a bottle of Water Wetter on the shelf, could it be? It gets the shake test, we only wish we could get a milk shake to look like that. I wonder if this is a long life coolant issue, dump a couple of ounces in another water bottle along with the same amount of water, shake the living hell outta it. Slight amount of bubbles on the top, dissipate within seconds onces I stopped.
Drain and flush the intercooler bottle n lines and refill. Minimal bubbles in the coolant with no foaming.
Damm you Water Wetter, suppose to increase efficiency when all along it was the root of the problem.
See pics below, each received five shakes before placing down. Results speak for themselves.
Last pic is after sitting for several minutes.

Stephen06GT
05-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Wow. That's not good.

Hckynut
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks! The bottle on my shelf getting tossed.

Ray721
05-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Wow, thats good to know. Speaking of coolant. Can it evaporate/burn up? My cold fill level is low. Never noticed a leak anywhere.

ZR
05-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Not uncommon for some vehicles to need a tic of coolant to top off from time to time with no leak visible. Never in a million years would I've dreamed water wetter could have done that.

Uncle Buck
05-28-2015, 07:59 PM
We have a mare, yes a real horse, that developed all kinds of health issues and was breaking the bank with vet bills when a ranch hand friend of mine said "you should let a horse be a horse. Just give it quality hay, water and nothing else". So we did and she got better in no time. Now we never give her any fancy feed or expensive supplements etc. She's never been healthier.

Maybe mustangs really are like horses. No fancy treats. Just use good fuel and quality tried and true fliuds and save yourself a bunch of grief (and money).

TurboFox
05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Honestly ive never had an issue running straight water in mine...coolant for the winter storage. Car doesn't run hot, not really sure what else to ask for

bluetoy
05-28-2015, 09:08 PM
I remeber a few years back I went to get a bottle of water wetter for my Cobra. When I asked at the speed shop they told e not to use it because it can cause cavitation. Now I see why they said that.

1low03gt
05-28-2015, 09:56 PM
Wow, nuts!! I use to use that stuff. Had it in my current GT for the first couple of summers!! I have since not used the stuff. Good heads up!

TheMustangShow
05-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Surprising results with that WW test. I used to use a product called Engine Ice in my cars and bikes, when that product vanished, I switched to WW and it is now clear that this product exacerbated my problems with this set up in the GT500. Even when used in small amounts with just water it was foaming and mitigating the efficiently of the intercooler. This was not the only issue with my modded set up, but it definitely was a contributor.

After doing some research, it looks like a lot of Porsche and BMW Track guys have bitched about WW for years, as well as UberComputer owners that have used it in liquid cooled set-ups and experienced the Foaming FAIL.

It would be interesting to hear what Redline have to say about Rick's findings.

Anyway, water (wetter) under the bridge now and thankful Rick figured it out, I'm looking forward to more than 5 laps at a time now.

Screw
05-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Holy fk good sleuthing :clap2:

KIDAGIN
05-29-2015, 06:46 AM
Wow who would of thought that

Frankie
05-29-2015, 06:53 AM
I use the Royal Purple version in my car - Purple Ice.
Seems to work well for me, after this looks like i better double check.

Mrods
05-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks for sharing! It is now on my DO Not Buy list.

Darkhorse
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
wow!

ZR
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I was asked if the WW in JT's intercooler came from the same bottle as the one pictured, no. Tends to make a person think this is not an isolated incident.

Scott
05-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Interesting findings Rick, well done!

Rich-C
05-29-2015, 08:43 AM
A friend of mine used water wetter in his cobra. I was shocked by the amount of froth in his reservoir while the IC pump was running. Not cool.

Intmdtr
05-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Has anyone sent an email to WW about this to get their side of the story? Is there a shelf life on this stuff?

ZR
05-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Just for shiats n giggles, added a miniscule amount of WW to the coolant / water only sample then gave it a shake, same results.

Stephen06GT
05-29-2015, 01:10 PM
This gets even more interesting when you look at their website and read the product description:

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

ABOUT RED LINE WATERWETTER® COOLANT ADDITIVES

These products include a unique agent that lowers temperatures by reducing or eliminating bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature

ttpinto
05-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Honestly ive never had an issue running straight water in mine...coolant for the winter storage. Car doesn't run hot, not really sure what else to ask for

I run straight water as well in the Pinto, no temp change from coolant.

TheMustangShow
05-31-2015, 02:30 PM
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/file_zps3iszyfoc.jpg~original (http://s404.photobucket.com/user/JTBConsulting/media/SHELBY/file_zps3iszyfoc.jpg.html)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/file_zpse9ilmqkq.jpg~original (http://s404.photobucket.com/user/JTBConsulting/media/SHELBY/file_zpse9ilmqkq.jpg.html)

Tried Ricks experiment with a brand new bottle and the result is the same. #FAIL

The frothing nature of WW has nothing to do with the age of the product or whether it has been exposed to air.
It is also important to note, that only a very small amount of WW is required to turn your plain water or 50/50 into a foamy soup.

tulowd
05-31-2015, 04:15 PM
many road race series insist pure water only in the race cars so when someone blows a hose or overheats the track only gets cleaned; not greased up.

In the past, only heard of WW being used for drag cars/applications, never in anything that sees long term high use like a road course.
The stuff works, but apparently not in supercharged or intercooled applications, lol

Darkhorse
05-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Tried Ricks experiment with a brand new bottle and the result is the same. #FAIL.

^^^^ Like, cause you didn't believe him? lol.

ZR
05-31-2015, 06:23 PM
many road race series insist pure water only in the race cars so when someone blows a hose or overheats the track only gets cleaned; not greased up.

In the past, only heard of WW being used for drag cars/applications, never in anything that sees long term high use like a road course.
The stuff works, but apparently not in supercharged or intercooled applications, lol

Problem is, causes frothing issue from second one, yes even a extra small amount in fresh coolant n water mix. We did try it in water only, same results. It's billed as being a good choice for even a daily driver.

TheMustangShow
05-31-2015, 06:26 PM
^^^^ Like, cause you didn't believe him? lol.

Ah, no, we just didn't have a new bottle of WW to try. http://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/silly.gif

We only had a small amount in and old bottle and some WW mixed with Motorcraft Coolant.

Just ruling out the age of this additive is not an issue.

ZR
05-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Ultimate test at Mosport on Tues, now squeeze that bitch JT (right after you move aside of course). :)

TheMustangShow
05-31-2015, 06:38 PM

Here's a dude that did a test. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/01/redline-waterwetter®-review/

TheMustangShow
05-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Ultimate test at Mosport on Tues, now squeeze that bitch JT (right after you move aside of course). :)

LoL..

ZR
05-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Got yer back. ;)

ZR
05-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Guess he didn't notice the shaving foam it produces.

Intmdtr
06-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Has anyone tried the royal purple purple ice super coolant? Wondering if it yields the same results?

ZR
06-07-2015, 11:29 AM
At this point, in my own, will be sticking to water / coolant mix only.

Tailites
06-07-2015, 11:51 AM
I like it in a vodka martini