PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation On Struts & Shocks?

1low03gt
08-06-2015, 10:36 PM
This has been my first summer in two years that I have driven my GT. I have forgotten how stiff it was!!! It's time to make it more street cruisable.
Right now I have Lakewood 90/10's up front, which kinda soften the front a tad, and stock shocks out back. Even though I have lowered suspension, I use to like dragging my GT on the weekends.... seeing that the track is 20 minutes from my place. Reasonning for the strut shock set up. After 10 years of playing at the track, I'm done, and just want to enjoy the simpler part of the hobby, and cruise it.
Seeing that a lot of you guys have great deal in suspension work, what would be a good affordable strut/shock combo to pair up with my Eibach Sportline springs?

Ponyryd
08-06-2015, 10:45 PM
I had tokico yellow 5-way adjustables on my '98 Cobra, it rode awesome, that was 10 years ago though, my memory could be messing with me. It was on H&R super sports.

Slick_89_Hatch
08-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Go Bilstien or Koni SA's and you'll be golden. What springs do you have?

Uncle Buck
08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
I ran Eibach ProKit springs and KYB non-adjustable dampers on my 95. It had a nice stance and a very comfortable ride without breaking the bank.

I have not run them on that body style but I'm sure Koni's or Bilstiens would work very well if you're willing to spend a bit more.

ZR
08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
This has been my first summer in two years that I have driven my GT. I have forgotten how stiff it was!!! It's time to make it more street cruisable.
Right now I have Lakewood 90/10's up front, which kinda soften the front a tad, and stock shocks out back. Even though I have lowered suspension, I use to like dragging my GT on the weekends.... seeing that the track is 20 minutes from my place. Reasonning for the strut shock set up. After 10 years of playing at the track, I'm done, and just want to enjoy the simpler part of the hobby, and cruise it.
Seeing that a lot of you guys have great deal in suspension work, what would be a good affordable strut/shock combo to pair up with my Eibach Sportline springs?

Above.

ZR
08-07-2015, 08:34 AM
You sure it's got the short bumpstop in the rear?

Slick_89_Hatch
08-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Above.

Oops...lol. I do think Koni or Bilstien. I love the Bilstiens I just put in my 96 up front, night and day to the KYB's.

ZR
08-07-2015, 09:03 AM
In order of preference and cost

1 - Koni (single adjustable not the new street shock)
2 - Bilstein
3 - KYB

1low03gt
08-08-2015, 11:07 PM
You sure it's got the short bumpstop in the rear?

Oh yea, it's there. I replaced the stocker with a Maximum Motorsports pinion snubber/bumpstop. I'm sure that the 18 wheel set doesn't help ride quality either.It's just the next step to aid the quality in the ride is the shocks, and struts.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking Koni's, but was maybe looking for something more budget in mind, and has a good quality ride for the street. I don't mind having to spend the extra for a quality piece, but I also like getting for for my dollar since I plan to upgrade the front crappy GT brakes down the road too.

Slick_89_Hatch
08-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Koni's are still 25% off at most retailers. Check with some of our sponsors.

Whitehot
08-09-2015, 09:06 PM
? What lb spring would work well with that?.. I ve been bottoing out at the track, lookin into seeing what I have??.. Maybe move towards 300 lb ft srings, 200 lb for the bk??...Yellow Koni up front?? ... That maybe little stiff ride, but good on the track??

Slick_89_Hatch
08-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I have 275's on my Fox, a little on the stiff side but comfortable. I haven't had them on the track but it corners very well on the street.

ZR
08-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Considerable difference in ride strut to strut.

b1lk1
08-10-2015, 05:46 PM
The KYb's seem to be able to handle my very stiff springs (non coilover) 850lbs up front and 250 in the back. Ride is compliant and stiff at the same time. Car handles like it is on rails now. Someday I hope to get better struts/shocks/control arms, but I have so much else to repair on this never ending project, lol.

hsousa88
08-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Couldn't be happier with my bilsteins.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

tulowd
08-10-2015, 09:33 PM
if you put the wrong dampers on your spring setup, you will either wear them out prematurely or have a brutal ride. They need to be matched up to work together, since shocks/struts/dampers control the natural oscillation of your springs. The same theory holds true, whether you have conventional springs or coil overs.

I would read all of this before spending any money. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Struts-and-Shocks-Tech-C568.aspx

Also, cheap dampers wear out quickly - so even if they feel wonderful for the first month, do you really want to do it twice? :They should be the same brand / model front and rear and consider if they are coil over compatible to allow for a potential future upgrade.

Also, if your car doesn't have welded full length subframe connectors, the suspension cannot do its job properly because the platform moves under varying loads and will give no consistent feedback or performance.

I run Koni Double Adjustable Yellows with Maximum Motorsport coilovers at all 4 corners - Hypercoil 350 and 225 springs. Epic track and high speed manners, a little on the stiff side on the street; but that is mostly because of the flimsy convertible Fox chassis.

DONT cheap out on shocks!! lol

1low03gt
08-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Some good info, and thanks for the link tulowd.
My GT is set up pretty good in chassis, and suspension. All I need now to finish it properly is to get the proper strut, and shock combo to have less bounce in my ride. A strut, and shock that will do there job on the street.

Right now my GT has...
sub frame connectors, tubular lower rear control arms with the stock uppers, poly bushings threw out, Eibach Sportline springs, Maximum Motorsports C&C plates, Maximum Motorsports pinion snubber, SWARR bar rear diff brace, and Lakewood 9/10 struts with stock shocks out back. Those are in place cause I loved to drag race at one time. I plan to do this change once, so input, recommendations, and what not is highly welcomed.
The lakewood 9/10's aren't terrible up front, if anything they really help in many ways, but not the best choice considering I just plan on street driving my GT more rather then race, and I'm sure that most of the bounce I am getting is from the rear stock shocks since they don't match up greatly with the sportline springs.

tulowd
08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
90/10 shocks are junk for the street - they are designed to allow the front end to come up under launch and come down slowly - meaning your front ride height is above rest and way underdamped during normal driving. You can achieve drag launch with Koni red or yellow single adjustable struts - the rebound is adjustable on those, the comp is not. For the rear you might want to consider the reds only, since they are valved softer than the yellows.

The springs you have won't be happy with 90/10 struts, that's for sure. Not even sure you should stay with those - too low and not sold by MM which should tell you something.

RedSN
08-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Epic track and high speed manners, a little on the stiff side on the street; but that is mostly because of the flimsy convertible Fox chassis.

stiff because it's flimsy?

Totally agree tho with matching the shocks to the spring rates. The KYB shocks and struts were okay for the Pro-kit, but I don't know how much higher a spring rate the Sportlines have?

98 Snake
08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
American Muscle has Koni's on sale for 35% off. I would pick up a set of yellow SA if I had the extra cash.
Bilstiens would be a great choice also and can be bought on this side of the border.

tulowd
08-11-2015, 03:22 PM
stiff because it's flimsy?

Totally agree tho with matching the shocks to the spring rates. The KYB shocks and struts were okay for the Pro-kit, but I don't know how much higher a spring rate the Sportlines have?

2 different things - the spring rates require a stiff shock setting - so the car feels amazing on the highway and off ramps, etc a little inconsistent on the street, especially potholes etc. at 10-40 km/hr. The suspension reaction at low speeds is inconsistent; at higher speeds its not really noticeably different.

Sportlines also lower the car too much, so then you have the bad camber curve and bumpsteer raising their ugly heads on top of loss of spring motion control.

1low03gt
08-11-2015, 10:42 PM
I agree with you that the 90/10's are not by any means the wise choice, but at the time they helped every bit for me at the strip. So they served the purpose I was looking for at the time. And suprisingly, they are not that bad on the street considering. But moving forward, they are coming out. I'm considering adjustables struts, and shocks as I think they would be more fitting for me..... Or say would I be happy with something like the Eibach Pro-Damper Shock & Struts that are matched to the pro kit, and the sportlines?

ZR
08-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Koni STR / Eibach shocks n struts, nothing impressive about either one. Even with your Sportlines, ride would be much improved with single adjustable Koni's, suggest Maximum Motorsports CC plates at the same time (MM alum rack bushings are another cheap but impressive upgrade).
If max ride is a priority and your willing to move ride ht back up, Steeda sports or similar won't disappoint.

1low03gt
08-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Well Rick, that's good to know, cause I pulled the plug, and ordered up some Koni Sport Adjustables for up front for know, and I will do the matching rears a little later. A little pricy for all four right now, even with the X amount percent off they got going on. With having 3 kids, school is around the corner, so I need to play smart.
So I took your guys advice, and researched Koni's, and they seem to be a great choice. I'm no amateur in the hobby by any means, but I never played around with springs, and dampers. I have had these Eibach Sportline springs since my old '85 GT, then swapped them over to my '03 a week after purchasing it new early in '03, and just kept the stock struts, and shocks up until 2011ish, then I decided to go with Lakewood 90/10 struts to aid in my sixty foots at the track, because that's what I liked, but didn't want to give up the look my GT had with the Sportlines.
So needless to say I'm looking forward to seeing how my GT feels, and reacts with the change, and progress with the dampers.

Thanks for the imput guys.

ZR
08-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Looking forward to your driving impressions.

1low03gt
08-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Alrighty. Recieved the Koni's Friday, and installed them this morning into the afternoon. My thoughts, and impressions, so far, very very nice product!! I love how my GT feels again. No more bouncy, or rough ride upfront. The front feels more controlled, and takes the bumps in the road very comfortably, and that's leaving it on the soft setting right out of the box. It is recommended to drive a bit on this setting to allow them to break in a little. Don't know what your guys thoughts are on this litle tid bit?! Anyways, even the wife noticed the difference, which says something. The only rough ride left is the rear end, which will be done with matching set of Koni Sport Adjustable shocks a bit later.
After a few miles I will firm it up a notch, and drive it like that for a bit, and repeat as the weeks go by to see, and feel how the GT rides, and likes certain settings.
Want to thank you guys for the input. Glad I didn't cheap out.

ZR
08-16-2015, 11:06 PM
While I really liked my previous Bilstein set up, Koni's blow them away by a good sized margin, well worth the cost.
Good to hear your liking them as well.
Yes noticed mine changed feel (for the better) in the first few miles, lovin em.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-17-2015, 09:58 AM
For regular street driving, you can typically set the Konis at about 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn from full soft, that will be plenty of damping.

Laffs
08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Are these the Konis to get? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/KON-9404AD/Koni-Adjustable-Shocks-Struts-Mustang-94-04

Looking to replace my busted stocks on the H&R SS

Slick_89_Hatch
08-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Those are them!

1low03gt
08-17-2015, 09:38 PM
For regular street driving, you can typically set the Konis at about 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn from full soft, that will be plenty of damping.

Thank you for the tip sir.

Whitehot
08-18-2015, 06:35 PM
that seems to be a good price, the sale price of those shocks??

Whitehot
08-18-2015, 06:44 PM
did you get them from that site? Sent to you?. Or purchased up here, in Canada? lol... Am considering shocks also .. :)

Whitehot
08-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Can they be used with a UPR ( I think) K member set up in the front?? I think they re now coil overs? In the front? ... I ll have to double check a few things... soon... Just askin...

1low03gt
08-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Responded to your pm.
They can be used with coil over set ups

ZR
08-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Have Koni's on my own, using Maximum Motorsports coil over kit on all four corners. Can't begin to say how great they feel and how amazing the ride is as compared to using conventional spring / shock combo. Use higher end shocks n coil overs once, you'll never own another Mustang without em.

Whitehot
08-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Cool, I ll look into more, might just make that change soon, easy to do when shes apart ;) .....soon... very soon....