View Full Version : HELP about to burn my car to the ground over TPMS

Scott
09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
08 with original wheels and OEM TPMS - worked fine
Added GT500 wheels with OEM Band Style TPMS - works fine
Added Race Stars multi-fit with ORO-TEK (American Muscle) Valve Stem TPMS in March 2012 - was never ever able to get them to train
Added Race Star direct fit with (CJ Pony Parts) Valve Stem TPMS in July 2015 - not able to get them to train. Have lowered the tire pressure waited five minutes and then went to normal inflation.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/tire-pres...14/p/TBANDS3K/

My TPMS Training Tool was bought in Feb 2010. The little light comes on indicating the battery still has some power. Checked the battery and it is not easily replaceable as it is soldered in.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Does the Training Tool need to be replaced?

ZR
09-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Assuming you've got the correct sensors, does the vehicle go into learning mode but tool will not activate the sensor? Wish they'd all go to a standardized method to train such as the GM's where you only need the keyless remote to activate training mode then lower pressure to train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niteshTnX-U

Screw
09-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Glad nothing serious lol

Ponyryd
09-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Do you still have the stock wheels or the other set you could train? If so just lay them next to your wheels and see if you can train them,min which case it's not your tool but your sensors.

Armen
09-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I was always under the impression that your car only uses the band type and that the valve stem type is for 2010 and newer cars (and their computers). In other words, to my understanding, valve stem sensors don't work with your year.

NickD
09-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Scott, I have two band type tpms sensors out of a new takeoff set of wheels I got. Have the clips but not the bands (tires shop said they replace them)
Let me know if your interested.
Otherwise maybe contact mrods as I sold my valve stem style OE ford sensors to him with the tool (got with the ford racing rims) so maybe you could ask what he did and try his tool.

Scott
09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Assuming you've got the correct sensors, does the vehicle go into learning mode but tool will not activate the sensor? Wish they'd all go to a standardized method to train such as the GM's where you only need the keyless remote to activate training mode then lower pressure to train.

Rick yes, I am getting into learning mode. Put the pressure down to 15 lbs let it sit for a bit then back up to 32 but it still would not train. Ford Shop Manual talks about RF interference from electric motors and my AFCO IC fans run all the time when the key is on. Thought that could be an issue in the front of the car but I can't see it effecting the rear wheels. Would it be possible the Training Tool batteries are too old - 2010?

Glad nothing serious lol

Me too! lol

Do you still have the stock wheels or the other set you could train? If so just lay them next to your wheels and see if you can train them,min which case it's not your tool but your sensors.

Just took the GT500 rims off the car to put the Race Stars back on, the GT500 were trained.

I was always under the impression that your car only uses the band type and that the valve stem type is for 2010 and newer cars (and their computers). In other words, to my understanding, valve stem sensors don't work with your year.

The TMPS ones I purchased are supposed to be good for 2007 - 2014 according to CJ Pony Parts. Having said that so where the ones from AM and I never got them to work either.

Scott
09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Scott, I have two band type tpms sensors out of a new takeoff set of wheels I got. Have the clips but not the bands (tires shop said they replace them)
Let me know if your interested.
Otherwise maybe contact mrods as I sold my valve stem style OE ford sensors to him with the tool (got with the ford racing rims) so maybe you could ask what he did and try his tool.

Nick thanks, would like to get the valve stem style working if I can. As you suggest I think my next step should be to try a different training tool.

Armen
09-03-2015, 08:49 PM
The TMPS ones I purchased are supposed to be good for 2007 - 2014 according to CJ Pony Parts. Having said that so where the ones from AM and I never got them to work either.

2010-2014 (2015's are different again)
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=dMAS1cRivT6ZQTjtazydRA%3d%3d&id=326280684&m=2&search=true&year=2010&make=Ford&model=Mustang

2009 and prior
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=6oBUz0tHE6%2f0z%2fklqUnLLg%3d%3d&id=326807932&m=2&search=true&year=2009&make=Ford&model=Mustang

And as far as I know you can't use the newer system on your gen because it's a different sensor entirely and your car basically wouldn't recognize it.

Edit: But ya I see on AM where they have the valve stem sensors available for 07-09. Hmmm... I didn't know that you could even get this type to work on that gen.

Ponyryd
09-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Yes, so I was saying if you still have the gt500 wheels on hand, go try to train them, it will eliminate your training tool as the issue and confirm your sensors are likely not compatible.

TheMustangShow
09-04-2015, 01:38 AM

What a PITA this BS is.

Amsoil Guy
09-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Are your OE or GT500 rims in the area when you try to train them? They could be confusing the system by trying to pick up the rims that are already paired. Have seen that happen with some winter rims and tires.

Is there a sequence you have to follow? LF to RF to RR to LR?

Scott
09-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Are your OE or GT500 rims in the area when you try to train them? They could be confusing the system by trying to pick up the rims that are already paired. Have seen that happen with some winter rims and tires.

Is there a sequence you have to follow? LF to RF to RR to LR?

Ryan thanks, I have already tried training out of the garage and away from all vehicles with TPMS. Yes, I did follow the Shop Manual sequence LF, RF, RR and lastly LR.

Scott
09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
What a PITA this BS is.

JT agreed! lol

Scrape
09-09-2015, 07:02 AM
TPMS is a pain in the ass. I have a training tool that we can try Scott to see if that is the issue. Did you try measuring the battery voltage?

Scott
09-09-2015, 07:39 AM
TPMS is a pain in the ass. I have a training tool that we can try Scott to see if that is the issue. Did you try measuring the battery voltage?

Agreed a real pain! Pretty sure the car battery is good, but not sure about the battery in the TPMS Training Tool. Since I bought the Tool in Feb 2010 I was going to change the battery but it is soldered in.

Scott
09-10-2015, 01:47 PM
No joy! Tried a Training Tool borrowed from Scrape, thanks Laurence.

Made a trip to AutoTrax as suggested by KIDAGAIN but Franco had no luck training the sensors to the car. His training tool could read the sensors, but could not get the SJB to see them. We tried one of his valve stem sensors and it trained to the car no problem. So it looks like the CJ Pony Parts sensors are not going to work for me in my 08! :shrug::thumbsdown:

NickD
09-10-2015, 05:07 PM
I've got 2 band ones if you can find another two

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Armen
09-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Noticed on the 2015 with the new wheels and sensors, the car automatically reads the pressures (tire pressure gauge in the dash shows the individual pressures). I didn't have to do anything except put the wheels on. Thought that was a much easier method than times past.

Scrape
09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Glad to help my friend. Sorry it didn't work out for you. The car sounded so sexy when you were leaving my office. Loved it! Hope you find a solution for this problem.
No joy! Tried a Training Tool borrowed from Scrape, thanks Laurence.

Made a trip to AutoTrax as suggested by KIDAGAIN but Franco had no luck training the sensors to the car. His training tool could read the sensors, but could not get the SJB to see them. We tried one of his valve stem sensors and it trained to the car no problem. So it looks like the CJ Pony Parts sensors are not going to work for me in my 08! :shrug::thumbsdown:

Scott
09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Had new valve stem TPMS sensors installed today and all is good no more idiot light.

Stephen06GT
09-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Glad to hear that.

KIDAGIN
09-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Glad your fixed up. Did you get the valve stem ones and where did you take it to get installed.

TheMustangShow
09-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Had new valve stem TPMS sensors installed today and all is good no more idiot light.

So the stem variants work with our cars, good to know.

Did you use OEM or aftermarket, if aftermarket, which ones?

Scott
09-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Glad your fixed up. Did you get the valve stem ones and where did you take it to get installed.

Doug I went back to Frank at Auto Trax. Yes the valve stem kind. Have my CJ Pony Parts ones listed for sale. They must be 11-14 compatible and I have indicated we can test training to the buyers car before purchase.

So the stem variants work with our cars, good to know.

Did you use OEM or aftermarket, if aftermarket, which ones?

JT they were after market but still $55 CDN each. I don't know the name brand. But I bought them and they were installed here: http://autotraxinc.com/

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
09-21-2015, 03:42 PM
The OEM 2010-2014 Mustang stem style sensors aren't backward compatible with the earlier cars that use the band style sensors. Any stem style that work for an earlier S197 would be aftermarket to my knowledge.

thx,
Ed N.

Scrape
09-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Glad to hear that it is fixed Scott.

TheMustangShow
09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

KIDAGIN
09-21-2015, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Scott;129938]Doug I went back to Frank at Auto Trax. Yes the valve stem kind. Have my CJ Pony Parts ones listed for sale. They must be 11-14 compatible and I have indicated we can test training to the buyers car before purchase.

Frank is good people he knows what he is doing.
Has a great shop.