PDA

View Full Version : T45 to 4wr70

Harbinger
09-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm curious as to how involving it is to convert from manual to automatic.

Presently, I have a 00 GT 5 speed and I'm getting tired of driving manual.

I'm aware I can sell it and buy a automatic mustang, but I've dumped way too much money into it.

Should I cut my losses and sell it... or should I keep it a while longer?

Any thoughts advice, expertise is much appreciated!

Laffs
09-04-2015, 01:52 PM
What have you done to your car that makes it irreplaceable?

If the answer is anything short of custom body/paint, major suspension changes, or a built motor, odds are you are better off pulling bolt on's off and starting anew.

Also, you may regret this decision, for the cost involved get yourself a nice automatic civic or some other ecobox and DD it.

To answer your question. You would need:
auto flywheel
torque converter
trans cooler plus lines & fittings
auto trans shifter
drive shaft
trans cross member
auto wiring harness and pcm or tune
pedal assembly

and if you are going to do it may as well budget for a higher stall converter and a shift kit.

Laffs
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Also before I did t56 swap was heavily considering doing 4r70w with a the Twist Machine Shrifter Paddle setup and trans controller

http://twistmachine.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1

Because flappy paddles are awesome.

Harbinger
09-04-2015, 01:56 PM
What have you done to your car that makes it irreplaceable?

If the answer is anything short of custom body/paint, major suspension changes, or a built motor, odds are you are better off pulling bolt on's off and starting anew.

Also, you may regret this decision, for the cost involved get yourself a nice automatic civic or some other ecobox and DD it.

To answer your question. You would need:
auto flywheel
torque converter
trans cooler plus lines & fittings
auto trans shifter
drive shaft
trans cross member
auto wiring harness and pcm or tune
pedal assembly

and if you are going to do it may as well budget for a higher stall converter and a shift kit.
Thanks for the reply and info. I put around 4-5k in a new clutch, clutch cable, aluminum steering rack bushings, suspension springs, fixing the breaks, new oil pan, spark plugs. This happened all within a year of owning it. Payed around 7k for the car to begin with. And I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace the rear control arms.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Laffs
09-04-2015, 02:01 PM
How is that 5k? Sorry. I see like $2500-$3000 worth of stuff there, and its all mostly maintenance aside from springs. Assuming you are including labour for a shop as well in those prices.

I would recommend that if you really want an auto stang, swapping spring back to stock, selling it for 7-8k (if kms are in line) and finding a clean safetied auto car that's checked out by a reputable mechanic to avoid hidden issues like you found the first time. If you pay a shop to source parts and swap to auto(I'd guess another $3500-5000 all in depending), you will be in to your GT for Cobra money, with no realistic performance increase or tangible benefit.

Harbinger
09-04-2015, 02:05 PM
How is that 5k? Sorry. I see like $2500-$3000 worth of stuff there, and its all mostly maintenance aside from springs. Assuming you are including labour for a shop as well in those prices.

I would recommend that if you really want an auto stang, swapping spring back to stock, selling it for 7-8k (if kms are in line) and finding a clean safetied auto car that's checked out by a reputable mechanic to avoid hidden issues like you found the first time. If you pay a shop to source parts and swap to auto(I'd guess another $3500-5000 all in depending), you will be in to your GT for Cobra money, with no realistic performance increase or tangible benefit.
Labor is included I'm not that mechanically inclined. I wish I can do half that stuff my self but I'd rather have it done by a mechanic that knows mustangs. The price is approximate I'm taking it off the top of my head. Regardless it's so much work to do in one year.

Laffs
09-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Fair enough, but I feel reinforces my point that if you are going to pay for this swap, you will be better off starting from a car that is a factory auto. This is hobby is expensive even if you do 90% of the work on your own.

Harbinger
09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Fair enough, but I feel reinforces my point that if you are going to pay for this swap, you will be better off starting from a car that is a factory auto. This is hobby is expensive even if you do 90% of the work on your own.
Starting to realize this hobby is expensive lol. Yeah so the auto conversion is out of the question. I'm going to consider selling the car and picking up an auto Mach 1

hsousa88
09-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Do you DD your car? If so, I can understand why the 5 speed can be annoying.

But a auto mach 1? NOOOO

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Harbinger
09-04-2015, 04:18 PM
I DD my mustang especially last winter.