PDA

View Full Version : Oil change intervals.

ZR
02-02-2016, 02:08 AM
I know I know, beaten to death but here goes another one. Pics are from an '02 Chevy Trailblazer sporting a straight 6. Currently mileage is approaching 550,000kms, been run on 10w30 full syn since new, oil n filter changes every 5000km's. Engine has never been torn down, uses less than a ltr between oil changes and hauls 1500+ pounds of tools around daily. Cover was only off to replace gasket.
He's seeing similar service life out of both diffs, transfer case and transmission. No work on them beyond one front axle seal, yes all receive regular oil changes as well.
Decided to post after speaking with another club member that works in a brand X dealership. Conversation drifted over to the ever increasing number of sludged engines he's working on where the suggested interval is 12,000kms. Seeing pretty much the same thing here. For sure if you don't keep your rides till they reach any kind of serious km's it'll more likely than not be fine, keep it longer and the money saved doing less oil changes may very well bite you in the butt.
(what may look like sludge in the pics is actually just the color of the oil itself, was due for a change when it came in).

NickD
02-02-2016, 03:03 AM
Ryan want to chime in on this, I just read of another guy using signature series doing some crazy interval
I personally like more frequent as it makes me feel safer

ZR
02-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Would be really cool to see inside an engine run on long interval oil (like Amsoil), in a getting on in years / higher mileage daily driver like this one. I'd feel pretty strongly, given Amsoil's reputation, more likely than not it would do the same. No secret that I feel just as strongly about using the correct oil grade for the given application, yes in spite of what the factory suggests.
Coolest part about this, these engines are generally thought to be unreliable, especially once they hit higher mileage. While this one see's good service intervals, it's also been his daily driven work horse.

Laffs
02-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Ram dealer was telling me the oil change interval on my new truck is something like 12mnth 16,000kms or something. That seems crazy to me, don't wanna be the guy who questions the factory engineers and techs, but I'm thinking I still might do mine something like 6 months/8000km since I plan to keep the truck 10 years.

ZR
02-02-2016, 09:51 AM
My train of thought, engines are expensive and oil is relatively cheap. Since I typically keep my vehicles into higher kms, will stick with 3 months and 5000kms.

Armen
02-02-2016, 10:08 AM
In 2003, my Mini Cooper S' intervals were crazy long. Synthetic and changes at the dealer were $120.

My last few trucks I go between 8-10000. I'm mostly highway. Even when I take it in there's over 30% remaining on the oil life indicator.

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, but based on what I've read, with today's vehicles, close tolerance design and new technology PLUS modern oils, means 5000km oil changes are really something that people only do because it's what they've known. But really, it's no longer necessary, according to manufacturers and even dealer service dept's.

Heavy duty use (towing, track days, etc) is a different deal, imo.

70XR7
02-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Never seen inside an inline 6 before. Very cool.

That said, i'm to be picking up my new ride within the next day or so, so i'm going to be quite diligent with its oil changes from the start. 5000km may not seem like much, but i'd be happy to reach the half-mil mark without any more than wear and tear issues.

Ray721
02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
I change the Mustang every 5000km. Synthetic. 5W-50 Mobil1 or recently 10W40 Amsoil.

The focus goes longer more like 8000km also synthetic. I believe it gets 10W30. But it's gently drivin and all highway. Put nearly 60,000 on it in a year!!!

The FJ barely gets drivin right now so it'll need a change just based on time. But it normally goes 5000-8000 on synthetic as well.

RedSN
02-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Should be based on engine hours.
Alas, auto manufacturers do not provide hour meters :dejection:

ZR
02-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Some newer trucks have that option built into the drivers information center.

Laffs
02-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Yea, was gonna say. Most trucks display engine hours.

tulowd
02-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Should be based on engine hours.
Alas, auto manufacturers do not provide hour meters :dejection:

Also needs to incorporate driving cycle and temperatures reached. Try running it cold and rich exclusively and no oil will last what it can. Big portion of the mfr suggestions is based on marketing and "service included" for a set amount. The sheeple like to save a penny everywhere, even if its idiotic.

Having said that, the tolerances may be closer, but the real advancement is in computer controlled fuel systems, so that the motor is not run pig rich, unles something is wrong. This will give oil a better lifespan, as well as fuel mileage. One area I will say EFI beats carburation, lol

However, extra oil changes are cheap compared to any single engine event that requires more than pulling valve covers off. My old 5.4 used to show sludge inside the oil cap, even running FORD synthetic and driving mostly on the highway with longer trips and a 3.73 gear. Water in the oil causes sludge to form, usually from not being burned off by inadequate oil temps - which need to be above 100*C or 212*F to "burn off" the water. This is a concern on any oil, and can come about by overcooling and not running a high enough water temp.

Not many on here have accurate engine oil temp gages - a must have IMO. Heat generated by the combustion process is moved by the oil, (after the exhaust stream and coolant to radiator) throughout the block, passages and sump. The oil is directly in contact with the hottest parts of the motor, so it lubricates AND moves heat.

Paul Silva recommends 1000 - 1500 km intervals with "normal" driving, 1000 km oil and filter changes during "spirited" habits; EFI or carb; with 20w50 Castrol (or 10/40) if you're not going to beat on it.

5 L of 20W50 Castrol goes on sales for $4/liter at Can Tire all the time. Ford Racing Oil filter is $13. 8 L of oil plus filter costs me less than $50 every time I do it; figure an hour of time if I'm wrenching anyways. 5 x per season. Would need to do one or two anyways, taking storage into account.

So an extra $150 and 3 hrs per year to protect a motor that cost more than $ 10 grand, AND gets beaten hard.

Your mileage may vary; but not many late model stock engines gonna be replaced for less than 5k (incl labour). Like buying insurance for the living, lol

Truck get Ford synth oil plus filter every 5000 km.

Amsoil Guy
02-03-2016, 11:31 PM
I am a huge believer in 5,000 Km oil changes especially for some Ford motors like the 4.6L, 5.4L and 3.5 Ecoboost. The VCT and timing systems do not agree with extended oil change intervals. The oil tech is there, I have absolutely no problem telling people that an oil like Amsoil Signature Series can go up to 40,000 KM on one interval.

Fortunately and unfortunately the customers that I have running Signature Series to the max OCI have not had to remove a valve cover or anything yet so none of my customers have taken pics of the inside of their engines. Gratefully I talked to other dealers who have had customers open up an engine after using SS for extended OCIs.

This is a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 with Amsoil EAO34 Filter. This customer has been using SS since 69,000 miles (110,400 KM) Valve cover gasket needed to be changed at about 136,000 miles (217,600 KM). This customer did the oil changes once a year which ended up being around 12,500 miles (20,000 KM). Not the greatest pictures but they help.

http://i64.tinypic.com/sq7d5t.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/x2jkgl.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/14j59gg.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/14o51yq.jpg

As you can see there are no deposits or sludge.

I am waiting on another dealer to get me some pictures of their results from their Town & Country.

ZR
02-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Impressive results, thanks for posting Ryan.

bluetoy
02-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I followed the oil change schedule on my VW Diesel exactly. 16000 km oil changes. Engine never burned a drop of oil and was spotless inside. No sludge. Obviously black but that's a diesel thing not an oil thing. Car had 310,000 kms. still going strong with a new owner. I say that oil change intervals and oil condition a hugely dependent on your driving habits. Our cars never go for a short drive. Much of it highway. If you commute 5 miles through the city to work everyday you need to change your oil more.

Edit: I did drive a pos corolla to work and back for a year and never changed the oil. I did add some used oil out of my pickup a few times. It had over 300k on it when I bought it and had nearly 360 when I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it lol

hsousa88
02-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I have always done 5000 km's or 3 months, which ever comes first. This truck has to last me so I'll continue to do the same thing, 3-4 oil changes a year.. no biggie. I also sit in traffic 5/7 days of the week.

The fox should probably get fresh oil more often, right now it gets 3-4 oil changes from May-October... maybe 2000 km's a year. Rotella is cheap :)

01CobraVert
02-04-2016, 08:18 PM
I followed the oil change schedule on my VW Diesel exactly. 16000 km oil changes. Engine never burned a drop of oil and was spotless inside. No sludge. Obviously black but that's a diesel thing not an oil thing. Car had 310,000 kms. still going strong with a new owner. I say that oil change intervals and oil condition a hugely dependent on your driving habits. Our cars never go for a short drive. Much of it highway. If you commute 5 miles through the city to work everyday you need to change your oil
Edit: I did drive a pos corolla to work and back for a year and never changed the oil. I did add some used oil out of my pickup a few times. It had over 300k on it when I bought it and had nearly 360 when I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it lol
VW TDI 30 K between change

bluetoy
02-04-2016, 09:11 PM
VW TDI 30 K between change

Really? because my 05 passat tdi was 16000 kms by the owners manual and my 2012 passat tdi is also 16000 kms by the manual.

twister
02-04-2016, 10:49 PM
every 5,000 like clock work

i deliver 4 or 5 engines a day and transmissions and the # 1 issue is lack of maintenance...

Darkhorse
02-04-2016, 11:04 PM
I changed the oil on my truck with less than 5000km just because it had been 7 months already and changing weather conditions, condensation, etc.

The real thing to change more often is your rear diff fluid. In Fords they go BLACK inside a year. In the Aviator I changed the rear diff several times, once my F-I-L started driving it, by the second year, the ring and pinion snapped. $1500 for the pleasure.

JDS
02-04-2016, 11:15 PM
I have a '15 tdi 15k interval is recommended.

bluetoy
02-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Did you get your $1000 bucks from VW Yet? I got mine last week.

ZR
02-05-2016, 08:53 AM

You know the interval is only to make the operating costs look more affordable?

OneQwkStang
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
I change my mustang oil every couple thousand kms.

js197
02-05-2016, 05:06 PM
if its black change it.
if it smells like gas change it (and figure out why u are running rich).
if its past 5000 change it.
if its been 6 months, change it.
if it looks like chocolate milk... put up ad on autotrader.

Old Fart
02-05-2016, 05:16 PM
^^^LOL!

RedSN
02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
don't need to change the oil if you just keep adding fresh oil to the engine....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/35/c2/2e/35c22e09f9fc3b63e69368357ad12f57.jpg

Amsoil Guy
02-05-2016, 06:23 PM
if its black change it.
if its past 5000 change it.
if its been 6 months, change it.

Only true for conventional oil. A high quality synthetic oil is not usually effected by a colour change, 5,000 km or 6 months.

Tailites
02-05-2016, 06:37 PM
why bother...just change cars

Tailites
02-05-2016, 06:38 PM
eg...I have two cars...

when ones outta fuel I just take the other one

js197
02-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Only true for conventional oil. A high quality synthetic oil is not usually effected by a colour change, 5,000 km or 6 months.

really? any oil I have beat on has turned black prematurely.

ive used just about every synthetic brand canadian tire sells at some point (usually whatever is on sale) only had my stang a year so it has only seen one brand so far.

from what I have read on the s197 and other US forums extended oil change intervals seems to increase odds of screwing up cam phasing on the 3v engines. I believe there is a filter that does not take kindly to sludge/debris.

2 oil changes a year vs potential engine issues? i think i will just do the oil changes.

Amsoil Guy
02-08-2016, 04:11 PM
really? any oil I have beat on has turned black prematurely.

ive used just about every synthetic brand canadian tire sells at some point (usually whatever is on sale) only had my stang a year so it has only seen one brand so far.

from what I have read on the s197 and other US forums extended oil change intervals seems to increase odds of screwing up cam phasing on the 3v engines. I believe there is a filter that does not take kindly to sludge/debris.

2 oil changes a year vs potential engine issues? i think i will just do the oil changes.

I'm talking about the oil. I agree that the 4.6L 3V does not like extended OCIs BUT it is not the oils fault. Just because a synthetic oil is black is not a good reason to change it. A true synthetic can take a lot of abuse and still be perfectly capable of protecting the engine. Amsoil XL and Signature Series are 100% capable of going beyond 10,000 km on 1 OCI.

mavrrrick
02-08-2016, 07:06 PM
I'm old school. Don't care what dealer/manufacturer says....change every 5000 km!!!

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk