PDA

View Full Version : Installing 94 spindles on my Fox...have an install question

Slick_89_Hatch
02-15-2016, 04:26 PM
So everything is off and i'm at the point where I just need to unbolt the strut and ball joint from the stock spindle and I have a question.
Should I try to loosen and free up the balljoint first before disconnecting the strut? It has the MM tubular arms with updated balljoints.
And whats the best way to free the balljoint without damaging it? It's only been on for a year tops.

RedSN
02-15-2016, 05:07 PM
I don't think you can get a socket on the ball joint with the strut in place.

And you'll need a ball joint removal tool. I use one like this

http://www.onedirt.com/legacy/photobucket/K9012.jpg

RedSN
02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
If the clamp doesn't pop it out at first, you may have to tap the spindle a bit with a hammer. Usually does the trick.
My last one was a SOB and I had to use a bit of heat.

Ponyryd
02-15-2016, 05:22 PM
With the weight of the car on the frame loosen the ball joint nut until there is a gap between the nut and the spindle, a small gap will do, just need a few turns, but make sure the nut is still on the stud a few threads, then hit the spindle hard with a hammer until the joints pops free, after which you will need to jack up the lower control arm and then remove the nut the rest of the way. When you're hitting the spindle you want to hit it where the ball joint stud goes through, but from the side, so line your hammer up with the plane of the lower control arm, if you know what I mean.

Slick_89_Hatch
02-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys!