PDA

View Full Version : Mac rear upper and lower control arms

mikewashere
02-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Anyone hear of this brand ? Curious how they compare to other brands like BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick_89_Hatch
02-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Average arms, nothing special. DO NOT use boxed uppers with poly bushings as they will cause bind and rip mounts or torque boxes unless everything is reinforced. I tore my mint upper control arm mount due to binding from MAC arms. That was from just normal street driving. Upper and Lower combos like BBK etc will cause similar issues. Go with good lowers from Maximum Motorsports or Steeda if you can.
If that's not in the budget just use the lowers and make sure your stock arms are in good condition.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
02-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Exactly, use good aftermarket lowers with good condition OEM uppers, unless you're ONLY drag racing the car. The Fox and SN95 rear suspension design needs the flexibility of the rubber bushings in at least one pair of the arms otherwise it binds up as Norm mentioned. Two different length arms mounted on two different angles trying to swing the same large chunk of metal doesn't work out well unless some flex is available in the bushings.

BOOOSTD
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
If you reinforce the torque boxes, the BBK's will work awesome! I had no issues/binding with them and with the addition of the Steeda Full length subframe connectors; it was a completely different car. No complaints here for the BBK's.

Monera3v
02-17-2016, 04:00 PM
I am a little interesting in this "binding" effect.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
02-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Here's an illustration of the Fox rear suspension that shows how the arms are positioned and their different lengths:

So the upper arms are trying to swing the axle assembly in a shorter arc than the lowers as the suspension moves through its range, causing the binding closer to the ends of travel.

RedSN
02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
The upper arms are trying to do two jobs ....poorly.
Control axle wind up, and control side to side motion. The later is why the arms are at an angle. That angle is what causes the bind.

It's okay for a Falcon, not so great on a Mustang.

ZR
02-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Average arms, nothing special. DO NOT use boxed uppers with poly bushings as they will cause bind and rip mounts or torque boxes unless everything is reinforced. I tore my mint upper control arm mount due to binding from MAC arms. That was from just normal street driving. Upper and Lower combos like BBK etc will cause similar issues. Go with good lowers from Maximum Motorsports or Steeda if you can.
If that's not in the budget just use the lowers and make sure your stock arms are in good condition.

Good advise from someone that knows first hand.