PDA

View Full Version : New helmet for the track

Intmdtr
03-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Looking at ordering a new helmet today or tomorrow for the track. I have already gone and tested a few out, now I just need to decide...what's your recommendations?

Looking at either HJC IS 17's, or the Icon Airframe Pro in Ghost Carbon.....

Stephen06GT
03-11-2016, 06:24 PM
I have an HJC, different model than the one you are looking at, and I'm very happy with it.

Intmdtr
03-11-2016, 06:30 PM
So my guy just came by and gave me some unbelievable pricing on both the Airframe Pro in Construct black, and the RPHA 10 Pro in Matte black. So I am down to those 2 helmets, just need to decide which will suit me better. Anyone have any pros or cons of either of those helmets?

Intmdtr
09-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Ended up getting the HJC RPHA helmet, love the fit and adjustability.

ZR
09-08-2016, 07:26 PM
I have the same HJC Road Race spec helmet Stephen has (in flat black), no complaints on the fit or function. My only small gripe, because of the road race spec, visor can be a PITA to open.
Congrats on your purchase Mr.

NickD
09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
What's pricing on those like, I know Ron is looking to get one, I told him to check out racequip as I like mine and it was a good deal. I know others have purchased from some place in Guelph

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
09-08-2016, 07:54 PM
What's pricing on those like, I know Ron is looking to get one, I told him to check out racequip as I like mine and it was a good deal. I know others have purchased from some place in Guelph

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

yup- thanks Nick -yes still looking for helmet- as well as trying to get oct 13 off

Clutt gt
09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
How does a road race helmet differ from say a motorcycle helmet?

newbiestangowner
09-08-2016, 08:23 PM
^^ I think snell rating- more flame resistant and more safety tests which I think are updated every 5 years ^^

ZR
09-08-2016, 08:25 PM
What are the differences between the SA and M standards?The Snell Memorial Foundation SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:

SA standard requires pass a flammability test while the M standards do not. Generally speaking, SA and SAH helmets will have a Nomex lining and a yellow Nomex chin strap.
SA standard allows for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA certified helmets may not be legal for street motorcycle use).
SA standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.

RedSN
09-09-2016, 10:04 AM
^^^good info. I knew about #1 and #3, but didn't know about the field of vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tulowd
09-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Helmet weight is something that has a huge impact on driver fatigue and driving/riding capabilities as well.

I switched from an SA Bell Star full face to a Racequip full face last year. The weight diff is amazing, the cost has come down by about half as well on entry level helmets. The Bell was about $500 when new in the 90's; the Racequip cost $200 USD at Summit Racing last summer.

I wouldn't wear anything but a full face, ever. Visor always down, it protects your eyes/eyelids from being shrapnelled by bugs and dirt/parts flying off the car in front of you.

Also, drop it, and it's junk; even the ones rated for multiple impacts. Helmet bag and taking care of it is important - always sit it down on the bottom, never upside down. Just sayin; for those not in the know.

ZR
09-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Yes even one small drop equals time to replace.

jibbijib
09-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Ended up getting the HJC RPHA helmet, love the fit and adjustability.

The fit and feel is the most important. As long as your head isn't getting rattled around like a can of spray paint, it's good.

I take it you are coming to track day bro?

Speedtospare
09-10-2016, 11:55 PM
I use Scorpion Helmets. They are all Snell rated and very high quality helmets. It all comes down to what fits your head.