PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Thompson Street SS DR or Toyo Proxes R888???

Mrods
03-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Having a hard time picking the right rear tires. After my new found SC power, I spin like crazy 1-2 and part of 3rd with my current Falken Azenis 453's.

Got pricing on MT and the Toyos. MT, $500 a pop and the Toyos $375. (which is a great price for these puppies).

I have 19 inch rims and want a rear tire that will hook up well in the quarter mile, but also handle fairly well around corners at speed.... Assuming such a beast exists??

I hear the Toyo's with a DR like compound, hook up well, however are loud as hell and they are marketed as a track tire vs. straight line. The MT SS are fairly new and I believe they are a moderately improved ET Street 2. I'm leaning towards the MT's, however am not sure how they perform at sustained high speed? They don't seem to have a speed rating? Although they are DOT.

Any recommendations, including alternate choices, would be appreciated!

TheMustangShow
03-11-2016, 11:26 PM
I ran the R888s at the track a few times, it's an ok DOT track tire but on the Road it is loud and harsh and a zero in the rain, it is a Road Course/Auto Cross focused tire and would be very different than the MT's you're considering.

I have never used the MTs, so can't comment.

My recommendation for what you are looking for would be Pilot SuperSports, you'll be amazed with the grip, traction, quietness and all round performance.

The price of them is a little bit retard, but you do get what you pay for.

94stang87
03-11-2016, 11:36 PM
X2 on the Pilot SS's

Mrods
03-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks JT! I did read the R888 were loud and was hoping someone on the forum had run them.

Will check out the Pilots and see what I can pick them up for $. Might a well go full retard, and get the balance I am hoping for.

Cheers

I ran the R888s at the track a few times, it's an ok DOT track tire but on the Road it is loud and harsh and a zero in the rain, it is a Road Course/Auto Cross focused tire and would be very different than the MT's you're considering.

I have never used the MTs, so can't comment.

My recommendation for what you are looking for would be Pilot SuperSports, you'll be amazed with the grip, traction, quietness and all round performance.

The price of them is a little bit retard, but you do get what you pay for.

BAB CObra
03-12-2016, 07:20 PM
mt ss for sure.

Mrods
03-12-2016, 07:42 PM
mt ss for sure.

How are the MT SS at sustained speed and cornering? Everyone has great reviews for the MT in the quarter mile, and I'm hoping they handle well around corners also?

BAB CObra
03-12-2016, 10:31 PM
I never had an issue on the ctsv

TurboFox
03-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I just ordered a set of the new mickey et street SS. I will let you know my thoughts when I get them on.

Mrods
03-13-2016, 12:07 AM
I just ordered a set of the new mickey et street SS. I will let you know my thoughts when I get them on.

Cool. Thx.

Mrods
03-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Ok, went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Installed 295/30/19 today. Love these tires. Thanks for all of your feedback!

NickD
03-18-2016, 10:18 PM
nice, hope they hook up better for you
thats the size I wanted, looks and fits perfect (told you 305 was too wide)

Mrods
03-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Yup you were right. 305 would have bulged out. These are perfect for a 10 inch rim with my off set.