PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 build need help

speedfreak
03-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Looking to see who out there I can take my 8.8 to , to have it shortened, tubes welded and have it braced? Is there any good shops that can do it with out warping the rear end from the heat? Thx

Dave

03svt
03-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Pm Scott, he had the rear shortened on his car, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

Scott
03-27-2016, 01:11 PM
David had my differential shortened and the tubes welded at LE Chassis Engineering in Vaughan. I was very happy with the job Luciano did.

My 8.8 build thread:

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?3632-Shorten-Build-and-Install-an-8-8-Bullet-Proof-(Hopefully)-Differential

Pictures of the diff here:

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?3632-Shorten-Build-and-Install-an-8-8-Bullet-Proof-(Hopefully)-Differential&p=76702&viewfull=1#post76702

speedfreak
03-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Wicked thank you very much I will be contacting them this week !

dbovine
03-27-2016, 11:11 PM
How much are you having yours shortend, if its for a new edge, would an SN95 rear end be short enough already?

NickD
03-28-2016, 02:29 AM
Wicked thank you very much I will be contacting them this week !
See I told you Scott was the man to speak too

While on the subject, I plan to go to the drag strip quite often this year and will be launching harder and possibly changing tires
I have a stock (possibly gt500) s197 rear end with 4.10's, Rick probably doesnt want to redo gear mesh so without ripping it apart what can be done to strengthen it, Do the ARP bearing cap studs or a studded girdle/cover like the ford racing ones help.
Is it possible to have the tubes welded or pinned to the housing without gutting it?
Im just worried as Ive seen cars at or below my power level break axles, twist tubes etc and I here I am each pass launching on radials at near redline (1.68 60" hope to improve on this year)

Speedtospare
03-28-2016, 03:32 AM
Nick, your fine for now. You have 31 spline axles so you should be good. Nothing guaranteed. I have a similar setup to your rear end and I launch 6K+ in my Modfox.

ZR
03-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Only real upgrade you'd need is axles Nick although the stockers do seem to hold up for most peeps.

ZR
03-28-2016, 07:30 AM
If it was mine Dave, would stick with stock width housing, 31 spline trac lok and good axles. Since your considering a mini tub, make up the extra width with custom offset wheels. Be hard pressed to break a set up like that and it won't break the bank.

Scott
03-28-2016, 01:51 PM
See I told you Scott was the man to speak too

While on the subject, I plan to go to the drag strip quite often this year and will be launching harder and possibly changing tires
I have a stock (possibly gt500) s197 rear end with 4.10's, Rick probably doesnt want to redo gear mesh so without ripping it apart what can be done to strengthen it, Do the ARP bearing cap studs or a studded girdle/cover like the ford racing ones help.
Is it possible to have the tubes welded or pinned to the housing without gutting it?
Im just worried as Ive seen cars at or below my power level break axles, twist tubes etc and I here I am each pass launching on radials at near redline (1.68 60" hope to improve on this year)

Nick have you considered the CHE Axle Brace. I have one (not installed) and the quality looks pretty good?

https://www.cheperformance.com/collections/2005-2010-mustang-parts-1/products/che9l

NickD
03-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Nick have you considered the CHE Axle Brace. I have one (not installed) and the quality looks pretty good?

https://www.cheperformance.com/collections/2005-2010-mustang-parts-1/products/che9l
Yeah I have looked into that, I have heard mixes reviews of will it actually stop the tubes from twisting. If your looking to get rid of yours I may be interested.
I was hoping to get the bmr watts link but have seen the price has gone up several hundred dollars so may wait and see what the axle mounted versions like.

Scott
03-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Yeah I have looked into that, I have heard mixes reviews of will it actually stop the tubes from twisting. If your looking to get rid of yours I may be interested.
I was hoping to get the bmr watts link but have seen the price has gone up several hundred dollars so may wait and see what the axle mounted versions like.

Surprised about you hearing of issues with the CHE brace as I though everyone loved them on S197. I am sure I warned you about the impending price jump on the BMR Watts Link!

Both BMR Watts Link or Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar will not work with the CHE Brace.

NickD
03-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Surprised about you hearing of issues with the CHE brace as I though everyone loved them on S197. I am sure I warned you about the impending price jump on the BMR Watts Link!

Both BMR Watts Link or Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar will not work with the CHE Brace.
Your right in that I think most like it, I just remember seeing some debate on weather it only eliminates vertical deflection of the tubes or would it stand up to rotational force. Either way Im sure it will help.
I remember Kelly or Dylan posting about a possible price increase but there was nothing I could do about it, I have been out of work and had no money at the time.
Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the way it feels.