PDA

View Full Version : COIL OVERS FOX VERT

juvehab
04-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Ok guys gonna pull the trigger on some mm front coil overs. What size springs and what spring rate. Some info rears will be eibach pro kit with koni single adjustable. Front struts will be koni single adjustable. This will be a street driven car only dont plan on taking it to the track. But I like the twistys.

Thanks in advance.

tulowd
04-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Read the MM website for their take on balancing the front and rears; it will depend also if you have a torque arm, AND if your shocks can dampen the spring rate properly...again...something that is detailed on the MM website. .

You will need at least the MM strut tower brace and their Caster camber plates.

I run 350's on my vert, which is a little too stiff for comfy slow speed street driving. Rears are 225 c/o but they may need to go up since a t/a just made it on the car. Going to try 450's on the front, but that will likely make it unstreetable.

I would think about 250-300 max; the length of the spring is more fore tire clearance, but you aren't running anything too crazy up front, so that is likely not an issue.

juvehab
04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Funny you answered Paul I was gonna text you the ?

Slick_89_Hatch
04-12-2016, 11:10 AM
I have 275's 10" and they are a bit stiff for normal street and with Eilbach pro kit rears that I had made the car feel really soft in the back. I'd go 200 or 225 12" as MM doesn't offer to my knowledge a 10" spring in anything lower than 275. What spindles are you running as that will effect ride height.

Slick_89_Hatch
04-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Angelo call or text me anytime....might be able to set up a ride in the car if you want to check it out before pulling the trigger.

ZR
04-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Ok guys gonna pull the trigger on some mm front coil overs. What size springs and what spring rate. Some info rears will be eibach pro kit with koni single adjustable. Front struts will be koni single adjustable. This will be a street driven car only dont plan on taking it to the track. But I like the twistys.

Thanks in advance.

With a Koni single adv strut, for comfort go 275, lil more performance jump to 300. Difference in ride with Koni's vs Bilsteins (with the same spring) is significant. Not saying the Bilsteins ride badly, just the Koni's outperform them by a considerable margin (yes I've had both on the same car).

ZR
04-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Paul, will by far less harsh vs what your thinking. Mine is well on the comfortable side with Koni's + 450lb fronts. No one thats ridden in it can believe it's got those up front and 650lb in the rear.

2DXTRM
04-12-2016, 09:14 PM
My first set up on my old car had the Eibach Pro Street Coilovers. it used a 200lb coil over spring up front and a stock location 250lb spring in the rear(same rate as a rear Eibach Sportline spring).

Since the Pro Kit springs are a progressive rate spring, the rates are between 200-251 lbs for the rear spring. So up front, IMO, you can be safe with a coil over spring between 200 and 250 lbs.
Not sure how well it would ride with a constant rate spring up front and progressive rate spring in the rear though. Springs are cheap enough, you can always sell the Pro Kit as a set to recoup some cost.

Slick_89_Hatch
04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
I went from the Pro Kit's to Steeda Sports. Haven't driven it much but it seems much better and they are linear springs.

ZR
04-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Bet it's got a much improved overall feel n balance Norm.

Slick_89_Hatch
04-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Bet it's got a much improved overall feel n balance Norm.

So far....i'll know better once I get a few little things done and put some miles on it. Should get it out this weekend :) Even just coming off the driveway they feel much stiffer than the Pro Kits.

RedSN
04-13-2016, 11:05 AM
I have 275's 10" and they are a bit stiff for normal street
I've got the 275's as well (different setup tho: SN95 with TA). It's not bad on the street, but I really notice it on the 407, I feel every joint in the road.

Speedtospare
04-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Get the double adjust Qa1's/ Nice riding when you want and you can tune them to the track.

tulowd
04-14-2016, 09:29 AM
My first set up on my old car had the Eibach Pro Street Coilovers. it used a 200lb coil over spring up front and a stock location 250lb spring in the rear(same rate as a rear Eibach Sportline spring).

Since the Pro Kit springs are a progressive rate spring, the rates are between 200-251 lbs for the rear spring. So up front, IMO, you can be safe with a coil over spring between 200 and 250 lbs.
Not sure how well it would ride with a constant rate spring up front and progressive rate spring in the rear though. Springs are cheap enough, you can always sell the Pro Kit as a set to recoup some cost.

The Ford Racing M5300C spring kit was linear 650lb/in in the front and progressive 200-300 rear conventional coils. I had that setup on my car for years and had decent balance and behaviour front to rear, even with a coil cut off the fronts.
I find that weight distribution makes a huge difference, moving the battery back especially.

@ Rick - with the wheelbase moved forward, the lighter front end (alum heads, tubular everything), the bigger tires and the flexy convertible chassis I'm thinking:
big Conti slicks = 450 lbs fronts for the road course
and back to 350 lbs for the street with the Nitto NT01s....even if they are the chubby 315's