View Full Version : Clutch

86gtvert
04-29-2016, 10:14 AM
So my 15 yr old king cobra clutch is toast at high rpm it slips and frys lol.What clutch should i install and anyone recommend a shop to do it.I have been looking at spec stage 2+ has anyone used one before..comments?

ZR
04-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Depending on your power level, Centerforce dual friction will not disappoint. Be sure to also go with Centerforces own release bearing along with a fresh pilot bearing. Flywheel machined properly on a grinder and you'll be all set.
Almost forgot, not a fan of Spec clutches (chatter). With the clutch technology we have today, you can have a clutch with big holding power and stock (or better) driveability + light pedal pressure.

CON VERT
04-29-2016, 06:54 PM
You could not find a better mechanic that the Good DR , ZR , shoot him a PM, re install etc, you'll be happy you did !

86gtvert
04-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Thanks Bigbird i have got in contact with him...just trying to find right clutch for my power level.

CON VERT
04-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Good to hear ! From this :mechanic: to This :dragster: !

toofast306
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
I ran a Spec 2+ and was happy with it, but opted for a Spec 2 this time around. Haven't noticed excessive chatter yet - still in the break-in process - but feels at least as good as my King Cobra. Centre force is da bomb, but a little expensive. Terry had a CF DF a few months ago for sale. I found Sitinger-performance has a great deal on Spec clutches, complete with TOB, tool, pilot bearing.

86gtvert
05-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks toofast but i already bought a centerforce df complete kit and yes expensive.

Tailites
05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
heres my take on CF...seeing as how I had one in my turbo car...they slip

if the engine has a lot of torque & not a lot of revs the centrifugal weights cant apply enough force

to lock up the clutch...I had problems...now I have a SPEC stage three in there...its on or off...

never slips & I dont recommend it for the street...you need an educated foot & fairly robust leg

its more of an all out race clutch...I like it tho

86gtvert
05-05-2016, 09:38 PM

if the engine has a lot of torque & not a lot of revs the centrifugal weights cant apply enough force

to lock up the clutch...I had problems...now I have a SPEC stage three in there...its on or off...

never slips & I dont recommend it for the street...you need an educated foot & fairly robust leg

Tailites hopefully centerforce will be ok my car pulls up to 6000 so hopefully no slip as for spec i didnt want that on offf feeling and i cruise alot dont want one leg bigger than the other .

Speedtospare
05-05-2016, 09:44 PM

I have a centerforce DFX and it gold 400+ ft lb of torque at 3000 rpm no problem. I launch my car 5K and shift at 7200 rpm. No issues other than the pilot bearing is going

bbriann
05-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I had a RAM powergrip Hd clutch set and new flywheel set.
Did not like approx. 700ft/tq. (Nitrous)
The RAM clutch melted to flywheel and ram gave me back a 1/3 of the price
I paid back after a year long protest.
Had spec 3+ 11 inch for 2 years absolutely no slippage but on/off clutch.
Now have spec 3 10.5 inch clutch which is less forgiving the 3+ on street
Spec clutches does have a race warranty

86gtvert
05-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Just a quick update got Zr to install my clutch and am very pleased with work, car feels smoother and gears go in nicer.Can't wait to take her on a mexican highway...Thanks again Rick!

Tailites
05-15-2016, 10:18 AM
I have a centerforce DFX and it gold 400+ ft lb of torque at 3000 rpm no problem. I launch my car 5K and shift at 7200 rpm. No issues other than the pilot bearing is going

just throwing stuff out there...so the guy can get a perspective...I had problems with CF

many others have not...Ive heard of slipping problems with em...especially on poor break in

Im sure Rick knows what Im talking about...upside?...if they break in well they have the best peddle feel ever

ZR
05-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Far too many discount how important correct break in is. Same can be said for right clutch for your application.

86gtvert
05-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Far too many discount how important correct break in is. Same can be said for right clutch for your application.

I am breaking it in nice n easy so far so good and tailites even now during break in pedal feeling is awesome.

CHILL5.0
05-20-2016, 02:06 PM
I run a King Cobra clutch and am impressed with it's performance. Smooth and haven't had any slippage. 5k+ launches with slicks at the track with no issues. I may try a Centerforce for my next clutch though.

86gtvert
05-20-2016, 06:58 PM
I run a King Cobra clutch and am impressed with it's performance. Smooth and haven't had any slippage. 5k+ launches with slicks at the track with no issues. I may try a Centerforce for my next clutch though.

Wow that's great, my king cobra gave me the slip at end of last year at track going into 3rd on a street tire ,after adding a few more ponies this year it gave out.

Tailites
05-20-2016, 07:28 PM
even now during break in pedal feeling is awesome.

thats cuz you got a little girlee leg...:)

86gtvert
05-20-2016, 09:04 PM
thats cuz you got a little girlee leg...:)

Nah just getting old...:stickpoke:

Monera3v
05-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Had my CF installed and words of Wisdom by ZR on how important it be to break them in.

almost 30k later, hard launching , power shifting the clutch does not chatter and still holds all the way until redline. :D and feels much better than stock!