PDA

View Full Version : New Emissions Standards May 1 2016 - My experiences Mustang hotrod status

Speedtospare
05-02-2016, 01:01 PM
This will record my experiences of switching my Mustang to Hotrod status. This will hopefully clean some of the misconceptions. I will update with any changes on my end.

Vehicle: 1993 Mustang LX
Original Engine: 5L 5 speed
Now: 2004 Mach 1 engine with 04 Cobra Eaton supercharger

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-rods-need-drive-clean-test

Spring is here. I usually take my car to the same place every year to have it emissions tested. The car has passed with flying colours every time. Car has all emissions equipment installed, stock manifold with aftermarket x-pipe, mufflers and tail pipes. This year I was denied testing at multiple locations because of the motor swap. Basically I have no choice but to register it as a Hotrod.

Day 1. Called the ministry or Environment who is responsible for the drive tests at 1-888-758-2999. Stated what had happened and was told I need to fill out the hot rod form. I chose to have it emailed to me. It takes up to 24 hours to receive the file. Hotrod status approval takes up to 5 days once they have received the application. Talked with a technician name Craig (nice guy and has a old big block chev). MOE does not care what is done to the vehicle, they only care about the emissions. MTO cares what done to the vehicle and even is you pass emissions you can still be fined or the vehicle removed from the road if they deem unfit.

Day 2. Update: Received form from MOE ** all updates will be add to the original post.

Here is a picture of the form.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh76/Speedtospare/Hot-Rod-Form.jpg

Day 3: Forms and pictures sent to MOE. May 5th 2 pm.

Day 4: May 9th. Emails returned stating I have been accepted. Car is now required to meet 1980 emissions. Pg 2 for details

Styrofoam04
05-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Subbed

svo1990mustang
05-02-2016, 04:28 PM
SUBBED

ZR
05-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Motor replaced anytime

Requirements:

Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any 5-minute period
For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle model year is the model year as designated by the manufacturer
Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning
All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning (equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor)

Not sure what happened in your case (did you tell original facility it was an engine swap?). Phoned someone I know through a friend with an LS swapped S10, etested a couple of weeks ago with no questions asked or issues. Pulled in, said nothing, they did the two speed sniffer, out the door with a pass. Same as it's passed since the swap, numbers lower vs it's original 6 banger.

Scott
05-02-2016, 04:41 PM
In for the info.

Speedtospare
05-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Motor replaced anytime

Requirements:

Vehicle cannot legally operate if there are visible emissions for more than 15 seconds in any 5-minute period
For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle model year is the model year as designated by the manufacturer
Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning
All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning (equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor)

Not sure what happened in your case (did you tell original facility it was an engine swap?). Phoned someone I know through a friend with an LS swapped S10, etested a couple of weeks ago with no questions asked or issues. Pulled in, said nothing, they did the two speed sniffer, out the door with a pass. Same as it's passed since the swap, numbers lower vs it's original 6 banger.

Nope, I never mentioned the swap to any of the shops. Just drove in and asked for an etest. All came back with its a different engine. We can't take the risk of passing it without hotrod status of we could lose our license

ZR
05-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Guess none of them would go for, it's a stock 5.0 with a one of set of 32v DOHC cylinder heads and matching fuel injection + blower?? ;) Since it will more than satisfy emissions for that year of 5.0 Fox, not sure what the upside is to anyone caring.

2DXTRM
05-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Find a different place to E-test it.
OBD1 sniffer test and out the door. Why subject yourself to annoying bullshit like "hot rod status".

ZR
05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
First place must have flagged his car, said he tried other places.

Speedtospare
05-02-2016, 06:25 PM
I might just have to Coyote swap it in order to tell him it's a 5 liter

RedSN
05-02-2016, 06:43 PM
If I read the regulations correctly, in order to classify for hot rod status, it must:
Pass the emission standards of the original car build date (1990?)
The new engine must be equipped with all the emission control equipment from the Mach 1 engine (2003?)

So what's the problem? :shrug:
They car meets/exceeds these requirements, no?
(Sorry if I got the years wrong.)

03svt
05-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I might just have to Coyote swap it in order to tell him it's a 5 liter

Dibs on 4valve set up :)

55 HD
05-02-2016, 09:46 PM
I'll buy it the way it is Ryan

Speedtospare
05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
The Hot rod status is being completed. Its a pain every year to to and find a place that will ignore the motor swap. I have not had issues until now. I have been to every place in the Oshawa local area and non will put it through. The car is clean and the info I gather will be passes on to help other who wish to change the engine.

Update: Received form from MOE ** all updates will be add to the original post. My number has been removed from the form for privacy purposes

Speedtospare
05-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Thursday May 5th 2 PM. All forms are filled out and send to MOE.

I think the biggest issue I will have is very few receipts. The car was built 4 years ago and I dont keep receipts that far back. I only have a few newer reciepts for various small things. Most items were bough cash or paid via paypal. Even the old paypal items cannot be looked up because paypal only go back to 2013

js197
05-05-2016, 03:39 PM
never met a etest guy that would turn down $100 cash to look the other way.

unless the rules changed all they have to do is say they tried hooking it up to their equipment a certain amount of times and their equipment didnt work correctly so the customer gets an automatic pass as it was not the customers fault. they get a certain amount per month of these that they are allowed to do.

Speedtospare
05-05-2016, 09:57 PM
never met a etest guy that would turn down $100 cash to look the other way.

unless the rules changed all they have to do is say they tried hooking it up to their equipment a certain amount of times and their equipment didnt work correctly so the customer gets an automatic pass as it was not the customers fault. they get a certain amount per month of these that they are allowed to do.

You are missing the point. My car is legit, why would I pay to get it to pass? This car will be put through emissions legitimately. There is no scamming, no bribing, no fake e-tests. I have no idea why everyone is so hell bent to deceive the emission people when its so easy to pass. To top it off my car will only have to meet 80's emission when this is complete, even though it would comply and meet 2004 emissions standards.

I had an offer from a guy today who I have been dealing with for a very long time offer me to take the car in and "look the other way". As long as it passes 93 emissions its no problem to them. I am taking the hard way and learning for everyone else knowledge. I will hopefully make it easier for other to understand and obtain the hotrod status.

Speedtospare
05-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Well I'm approved. This was actually really easy. My suggestion is to keep it simple. I just stated the car engine is a 4.6 from a Mustang and it's size is 281ci. That it, thats all. I gave them all the picture requested. I had no receipts and stated I built it myself. I have an additional 3 picture o the engine in the car being assembled and offered more if required.

This email is to confirm that your application for Hot Rod status has been approved.

Your vehicle can now be tested, with the updated emissions limits, at a test facility equipped for tailpipe testing. You can find a tailpipe testing facility closest to your location by using the Drive Clean website – entering your information - and ‘1997’ as the model year of your vehicle.

http://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/drive-clean-test#section-2

If you require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or calling the number below.

Regards,

Susan
Customer Service Representative
Ontario’s Drive Clean Program
1-888-758-2999
Out-of-Province, please dial 905-943-4897 (Charges will be assumed by the caller)

Speedtospare
05-09-2016, 05:42 PM
The 1997 emissions threw me off so I called and had more runy vin and check the information. My car has to meet 1980 emissions.

Speedtospare
05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
So my final thoughts are WTF government. My car met 1993 emission for the last two tests. It has all equipment required. Now after registering the car it has toeet 1980 emission and I cam even.remove some of the emissions equipment.

Time for some dirty ass cams hahahaha! Thanks government

bbriann
05-10-2016, 12:42 AM
Glad E-test doesn't exist in my area of Ontario. ...never had to deal with that crap..

ZR
05-10-2016, 06:10 AM
So my final thoughts are WTF government. My car met 1993 emission for the last two tests. It has all equipment required. Now after registering the car it has toeet 1980 emission and I cam even.remove some of the emissions equipment.

Time for some dirty ass cams hahahaha! Thanks government

Felt confident in the end it would be just that easy, cool it worked out Ryan.
As for Ontario's Drive Clean, to say it's a joke would almost be a compliment. :(

Arboc
05-10-2016, 07:53 AM
well done Ryan.

Ontario government continues to insert head in its own ass

Darkhorse
05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
If I read the regulations correctly, in order to classify for hot rod status, it must:
Pass the emission standards of the original car build date (1990?)
The new engine must be equipped with all the emission control equipment from the Mach 1 engine (2003?)

So what's the problem? :shrug:
They car meets/exceeds these requirements, no?
(Sorry if I got the years wrong.)

^^^ I think you have it right here. I'm still puzzled how Ryan is being told he only has to pass 1980's standards when it seems like he should either pass 1993 standards or the standards of the motor he installed which would be 2003. If simply doing a motor swap get's you hot rod status, then I pulled my Coyote and did an FRPP Aluminator instead, do I get hot rod status?

It's also weird how some just need to pass a sniffer test regardless of working smog equipment (easy to manipulate) and others have an OBD II plugged in to make sure all systems are ready and smog equipment is functional, take pictures for engine dash lights, VIN and plate, but no other test. Car could be throwing black smoke and it doesn't factor into the test.

I can't say I understand it all.

Esp since people up north have to do nothing, but Toronto does. Cash grab of epic proportion.

I'm just grateful my car passed with ID 1000's and Corsas!

Speedtospare
05-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Yeah it's very weird to say the least. They didn't even ask anything other than the size of the engine. The only I formation I provided was 4.6(281ci). No year, no computer or wiring or obd2 questions, nothing.

Arboc
05-11-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm just grateful my car passed with ID 1000's and Corsas!

tell me more, how corsas (mufflers) affect emissions?

:)

Arboc
05-11-2016, 07:01 PM

motor swaps are on! for 99 and older Mustangs and Fords (all vehicels)

Arboc
05-11-2016, 07:03 PM
so if I did buy my 96 Cobra back, a 5.2 FPC VooDoo V8 with a screw blower sounds like the logical swap :)

ZR
05-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Odd system but it's the one we've got.

Darkhorse
05-12-2016, 08:16 AM
tell me more, how corsas (mufflers) affect emissions?

O/R mid :)

Pull beside.

BOOOSTD
05-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Glad it worked out for you as I suspected it would- congrats man! From my understanding when I looked into it, the hotrod status primarily hinges on the fact of the motor you swapped in was 'not available' in the year make of the vehicle. Anyhow, your gold now with easier (higher HC) readings allowed.

Speedtospare
05-13-2016, 01:44 AM
Thanks Boosted; I will post my results tomorrow

Speedtospare
05-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Here is my results of the test. Notice how high my limits. Super easy to pass emissions now :) LOL car was making boost on high idle test. Time for some cams

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/mustangmerrill/2016%20Estest_zpsy4euquvs.jpg~original

ZR
05-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Congrats.
Was test run on fresh or old gas?

TheMustangShow
05-13-2016, 03:53 PM
So is insurance for "Hotrods" different too?

Will it be more or less $$ than before?

RedSN
05-13-2016, 04:13 PM
LOL car was making boost on high idle test.
Is that why the HC is higher than on idle?

Speedtospare
05-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Congrats.
Was test run on fresh or old gas?

lol winter storage fuel, no oil change, nothing. Started it, drove 15 minutes, tested it. It was dirtier than usual

ZR
05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Makes sense, bet numbers drop substantially on fresher fuel.

Speedtospare
05-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Is that why the HC is higher than on idle?

Possibly. Could be timing as well. It's tuned for power not emissions

ZR
05-13-2016, 07:35 PM
On my cars last sniff test, old gas, passed a hair under the max across the board. Drove for a few weeks before running back in for a retest to be sure all was well, back to teenie tiny numbers, passed like it's old self.

Speedtospare
05-13-2016, 07:44 PM
On my cars last sniff test, old gas, passed a hair under the max across the board. Drove for a few weeks before running back in for a retest to be sure all was well, back to teenie tiny numbers, passed like it's old self.

The question is, will stage 3 comp cams make it fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEhPwVd2AE

ZR
05-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Threshold for yours is pretty damm high.

Darkhorse
05-14-2016, 10:23 AM
4272lbs weight? Is that right?

tulowd
05-14-2016, 10:32 AM

t'was a good winter with more time in the kitchen than the garage :)

Armen
05-14-2016, 11:14 AM

That's the gross vehicle weight rating... Not to be confused with curb weight.